Toronto Maple Leafs hire Mike Babcock ($50M/8yrs) Part III | MOD WARNING IN OP

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Wings / Babcock would have missed the playoffs last season had Nyquist not went full BEAST mode when he was outscoring even Ovechkin the 2nd half of the season.

You can literally go through every coach that has accomplished anything in the league and say that if player A didn't perform like this they wouldn't have accomplished what they did. So why is it now somehow a knock on Babcocks resume? I mean honestly you can be happy he is gone from Detroit I get it every coach has an expiry date in hockey even the best ones and Babcock clearly hit his in Detroit, you guys need a new voice but you seem to be constantly knocking down his accomplishments and insinuating that he isn't that good of a coach. Just because he wore out the welcome in Detroit doesn't really mean a thing to Toronto try to not be so bitter.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
With the way Babcock handled himself, I think buff dodged a bullet. Babcock is only in this for money and fame, thinks way to highly of himself. Buffalo needs a hardworking, humble coach to help them. Coaches also are a mentor for yoing players. I'd much rather have a hard worker teach them. The vibe Babcock sends in Toronto is money over everything

Do you ever post in non-Toronto related threads? Or anything positive about Toronto?

I love how your opinion did a complete 180 after he signed in Toronto and your using illogical fallacies to justify your change.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I know this clip where Babcock says he likes Phaneuf is probably old at this point (http://www.thescore.com/news/755348) but it has me wondering, what is the direction of the Leafs? I thought there was all this talk about how the next few years would be painful and there's a full rebuild just like Shanny said. But then he talks about keeping Phaneuf and working with Kessel. So... no one is going then? This is win-now all the way?

I'm just curious because it does affect trade proposals and such. If these players aren't for sale then it's less interesting a trade target.

I'm assuming if theyRe not dealt its to raise their trade value that has hit an all time low

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Do you ever post in non-Toronto related threads? Or anything positive about Toronto?

I love how your opinion did a complete 180 after he signed in Toronto and your using illogical fallacies to justify your change.

He's mad that Leaf fans said that McDavid and McLelland didn't play goalie or on D, so now he's made it his personal goal to discredit everything Leafs related :laugh: the insecurity is pretty obvious

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
Im still puzzled at why Mike decided to leave Detroit since he says he loves it there. Im guessing it was the money. Or was he just wanting a new challenge?

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007

Logical fallacies. If something were fallacious about an illogical statement, that would kind of make it...logical.

:laugh:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Buffalo and Detroit aren't that great of cities anymore. Toronto is a world class city, he got paid, and pretty much accomplished everything. He was looking for a great challenge.

I hope he brings TO back to respectability.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
When it comes to hockey, Toronto is pretty much a dumpster fire.

More jealousy. It *was* a dumpster fire, which they extinguished by purging the entire off ice staff. Everyone who remains is a good hockey man.

Also, he said he wanted the city lifestyle. He didn't want to live in a suburb or a sleepy downtown. That narrows the options down to NYR, NYI, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal and only one of those was looking for a coach.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
With the way Babcock handled himself, I think buff dodged a bullet. Babcock is only in this for money and fame, thinks way to highly of himself. Buffalo needs a hardworking, humble coach to help them. Coaches also are a mentor for yoing players. I'd much rather have a hard worker teach them. The vibe Babcock sends in Toronto is money over everything

Since Buffalo offered him the same money your argument is baseless.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Wings / Babcock would have missed the playoffs last season had Nyquist not went full BEAST mode when he was outscoring even Ovechkin the 2nd half of the season.

And the Hawks wouldn't have won their Cups if guys like Toews, Keith and Kane hadn't played well so what's your point?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Wilson and Carlyle killed their own careers. Horachek never had one.

Carlyle had that team playing above themselves so I don't see how he killed his career. It was pretty obvious after he was fired that he wasn't the problem.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Carlyle had that team playing above themselves so I don't see how he killed his career. It was pretty obvious after he was fired that he wasn't the problem.

Carlyle was a terrible coach for the long run. He got them to overachieve but only for small stretches that weren't sustainable. He's not a communicator, so his act wears thin on his teams very quickly. Same thing happened in Anaheim.

Oh and all those bag skates early in the season don't make for happy players and tend to cause late season collapses.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Carlyle was a terrible coach for the long run. He got them to overachieve but only for small stretches that weren't sustainable. He's not a communicator, so his act wears thin on his teams very quickly. Same thing happened in Anaheim.

The fact remains that he had them playing above themselves.

Oh and all those bag skates early in the season don't make for happy players and tend to cause late season collapses.

The bag skates did not cause the collapses.

And players don't need to like their coach, they need to respect them and play for them. Steve Shutt once said that the only time each year that the Habs liked Bowman was the day they picked up their championship rings.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I'm here just to say good luck to Babs and the Leafs. Will be good to see them be a good team again. And the Wings and Babs needed a change.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
And players don't need to like their coach, they need to respect them and play for them. Steve Shutt once said that the only time each year that the Habs liked Bowman was the day they picked up their championship rings.

The players didn't respect Carlyle, just look at how many of his former players have trashed him in the press. So how wasn't he a problem?

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I'm happy for Toronto fans. Sabres missed out big time. Seems like Babcock wanted the greater challenge and all the possible glory that came with it.

Will be interesting to see Toronto's plan going forward. If they sell off, is Babcock capable of coaching Toronto out of the bottom 3-5 spots, possibly eluding them of the top picks in the draft?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The vibe I got from Babs was that it was really, really hard to leave Detroit. They likely were going to pay him whatever he wanted. He just simply wanted a new challenge of rebuilding arguably the biggest franchise in the league with a guy he had a prior relationship with, and to give him incentive to leave a situation he was comfortable with, they also tossed him a lot of coin because of the risk of a rebuild. The guy was practically in tears today when talking to Detroit media.

I don't blame him for pursuing a new challenge. If he wins a cup in Toronto it's on the same level as Joe Maddon bringing a world series to the Chicago Cubs. If you're a competitor like him with a cup, working for a franchise that is pretty much set for a while, I can see how it might become too predictable and he wanted something new. Good luck to him. Happy for the Leafs fans. League will be a better place when they're a force again.

Everyone should read this post. This is how you post with class. Sadly there are too many here that would rather just blindly bash and reach for straws.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Gotta love the example this sets for Canadian-born stars when it comes UFA time. Too often it seems like they feel obliged to re-sign with their current team in a bad hockey market out of a sense of loyalty. They can learn from Babcock's approach that they can take your life and career into their own hands and not have to feel bad about it. There's nothing dishonorable about giving everything you got for seven years and then moving on to the next chapter in your career and trying a different opportunity.

For many of the Ontario boys in particular, who grew up as Leafs fans, whose family is still there, playing at home is something special, and if they don't get the chance they'll always wonder after they retire what it would have been like. Now that the franchise has been restored to respectability, there's less reason to shy away from it. I'm looking at Stamkos, at Tavares, at McDavid. Maybe having seen this they'll follow in Babs's footsteps one day and come home to hockey's Mecca.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
So wait, Buffalo doesn't exist in your fantasy world?

Just a few posts up. You failed to read it or comprehend it.

Babcock said it was about the money in his presser today. He admitted that. :laugh:

Then went on to say that the drive is only 4 hours for his wife, so apparently being close to Detroit was important to her. Sounds like she wasn't interested in Sabres and Toronto was the next best thing (as far as money goes). It's no secret Babcock went to Toronto for the money, and it if wasn't for his wife, he probably would have went to Buffalo.

You can watch it here:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp.../mike-babcock-live-press-conference/27772249/

You didn't watch the presser, then? Isn't it Babcock's fantasy world since he was the one that said it with his own mouth???

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
More jealousy. It *was* a dumpster fire, which they extinguished by purging the entire off ice staff. Everyone who remains is a good hockey man.

Also, he said he wanted the city lifestyle. He didn't want to live in a suburb or a sleepy downtown. That narrows the options down to NYR, NYI, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal and only one of those was looking for a coach.

It might still be a dumpster fire. It's not like the Leafs haven't purged their front office staff before... In like the last 7-8 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad