Toronto Maple Leafs hire Mike Babcock ($50M/8yrs) Part III | MOD WARNING IN OP

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
This was posted on the Toronto Sun -- Babcock flavor of the month; no better record than Ken Hitchcock

[SNIP]

[/SNIP]

Maybe as people dig deeper, they are starting to realize Babcock only has 1 cup. And when compared to other coaches around the league, he has an equal championship resume to some, and a worse resume to others (Sutter, Quenneville).

And nobody here said Mike Babcock is a bad coach. He's a very good coach. Top 5 in the league, maybe even top 3 behind Sutter and Quenneville. Both Todd McLellan and Bruce Boudreau have a better point percentage over Mike Babcock. Peter DeBoer has a better win percentage. Bob Hartley is about equal to Mike Babcock in the win percentage department, and both have one cup each. Source

These are the facts.

If we are including facts he's coached a team to the SCF three times winning once,two Olympic gold medals coaching team Canada, IIHF Gold at the worlds and world junior.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Nobody cares about Olympic Gold Medals. I mean I could coach the US Men's basketball team to gold medals.

The USA is a lot farther ahead in Basketball against the rest of the world compared to how far ahead Canada is in hockey. Unless you want to admit that the difference between the Canadian hockey team and the US team is vast.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Nobody cares about Olympic Gold Medals. I mean I could coach the US Men's basketball team to gold medals.

Just the fact that you would be picked to coach the US Mens basketball team in itself is an accomplishment (although obviously you never would) -- same can be said for Team Canada.

But with only 1 gold and 2 silvers since 70's I can see why an American wouldn't care for Olympic Hockey.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
This was posted on the Toronto Sun -- Babcock flavor of the month; no better record than Ken Hitchcock

[SNIP]

[/SNIP]

Maybe as people dig deeper, they are starting to realize Babcock only has 1 cup. And when compared to other coaches around the league, he has an equal championship resume to some, and a worse resume to others (Sutter, Quenneville).

And nobody here said Mike Babcock is a bad coach. He's a very good coach. Top 5 in the league, maybe even top 3 behind Sutter and Quenneville. Both Todd McLellan and Bruce Boudreau have a better point percentage over Mike Babcock. Peter DeBoer has a better win percentage. Bob Hartley is about equal to Mike Babcock in the win percentage department, and both have one cup each. Source

These are the facts.

I'm genuinely curious if you were preaching the same thing when Babcock was employed by the red wings.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I'm genuinely curious if you were preaching the same thing when Babcock was employed by the red wings.

I wish cross-quoting was allowed in this moment, because he has some great pre-Leafs posts about "The Babcock factor" and how he would certainly turn his nose up to other NHL teams once he was interviewed.

The opinion pivot is strong. Take a look.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Im still puzzled at why Mike decided to leave Detroit since he says he loves it there. Im guessing it was the money. Or was he just wanting a new challenge?

getting paid 6.2 million dollars per year.

that's why. No teams are crazy enough to pay a coach 6.2 million.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
getting paid 6.2 million dollars per year.

that's why. No teams are crazy enough to pay a coach 6.2 million.

Buffalo offered as much, Detroit allegedly offered four. San Jose and St. Louis enquired. If you're a coach in TO and you can mollify the media you're basically king of town. Only coaching in Montréal is comparable.

Don't get me wrong, I am going to enjoy Ottawa stealing points from Toronto this year, but this is a massive positive step for the Leafs. Shanahan was a good hire, Dubas/Hunter good hires, Babcock a good hire. The only hope for we non-Leafs fans is that they make horrid player selections.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I wish cross-quoting was allowed in this moment, because he has some great pre-Leafs posts about "The Babcock factor" and how he would certainly turn his nose up to other NHL teams once he was interviewed.

Damn you weren't kidding. From practically worshiping the ground Babcock walked on to what we've seen over three threads. Loss affects people in numerous ways.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
He wanted that money. His wife wanted to stay near Detroit. They compromised and he took a job 4 hours away that is paying 30+ million more than Detroit would ever offer him.

He wasn't going to Toronto if their offer was closer to Detroit's offer. He left for the money first and foremost. Now he's rationalizing it to the media by saying "the right things".

Or maybe he accomplished all he could in Detroit and he wanted the ultimate challenge in Toronto? The money obviously helped but Buffalo offered the same thing.....

threeGo

Oct 18, 2011
Toronto
He wanted that money. His wife wanted to stay near Detroit. They compromised and he took a job 4 hours away that is paying 30+ million more than Detroit would ever offer him.

He wasn't going to Toronto if their offer was closer to Detroit's offer. He left for the money first and foremost. Now he's rationalizing it to the media by saying "the right things".

They wanted to live in a condo, in a big city.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Just the fact that you would be picked to coach the US Mens basketball team in itself is an accomplishment (although obviously you never would) -- same can be said for Team Canada.

But with only 1 gold and 2 silvers since 70's I can see why an American wouldn't care for Olympic Hockey.

Meh his name is ScottyBowman. He's got a better shot than most.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

By that logic why would leaf fans care about NHL hockey? You know with they uh, um, nothing since the 60's?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I think the decision to come to Toeonto was equal parts money and vanity

I don't care what anyone says, if he coaches a team to the cup in Toronto he will probably go down as one of the best coaches ever. Winning in Buffalo or Edmonton? They will give you a nice parade and that's about it.

If he won here they would be preparing his bust for the HHOF the same night.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
It might still be a dumpster fire. It's not like the Leafs haven't purged their front office staff before... In like the last 7-8 years?

We just got Burke and Nonis

Burke came in here making promises and looking like a fool, Nonis just did some dumb stuff and I'm happy he's gone.

Glad we're not throwing 2nd rounds picks away anymore

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

lol

Great read

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I think the decision to come to Toeonto was equal parts money and vanity

I don't care what anyone says, if he coaches a team to the cup in Toronto he will probably go down as one of the best coaches ever. Winning in Buffalo or Edmonton? They will give you a nice parade and that's about it.

If he won here they would be preparing his bust for the HHOF the same night.

Honestly, if he won in Edmonton and to a lesser extent Buffalo, pundits might be justified in saying "yes he was a good coach, but look at the talent there - any good coach could have won." The team in Toronto has a lot of issues with its core, so if he wins there, it's going to be because he shifts the culture and gets the absolute most out of the core possible.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Babcock sucks. I'd rank him #31 in coaches IMO. Carlyle is fired but he's better too.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Dotter said:
I'd bet the house that Babcock isn't signing with a team that won't make the playoffs next season. TML are out. He's only using them to create a bidding war.

Now your posts make sense. How's the free wifi at McDonalds?

21ByTorML12

Mar 31, 2013
They don't even have a GM, do they? Aren't they doing decision making by committee or something like that?

I'm waiting for them to put up polling questions on their official website asking questions like "should we trade Phanuef for picks/prospects", then two days later trade Phanuef for picks/prospects. "Should we tank this year and draft player xyz" then go on full bore tank when when the polling system on their website is out voted in "yes" :laugh:

Their new slogan: TML Project Interactive: "Let the fans decide how to manage the teamâ„¢" -- where you can do it straight from your PS4 or Xbox One (sponsored by Sonyâ„¢ and Microsoftâ„¢)

I'll believe the TMLs are turned around when they actually do turn it around. They have a long ways to go, and I don't foresee anything getting better for them in the next 10 years.

ridiculous hypotheticals aside. Are the Leafs a better team with Babcock or without him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad