Toronto Maple Leafs hire Mike Babcock ($50M/8yrs) Part III | MOD WARNING IN OP

Sickbones

5-14-6-1
Oct 17, 2014
What is the point in the thread if everyone just comes in, says congratz, and leaves?

People were giving Edmonton crap with McDavid, McLellan etc. I don't think that Toronto fans should be expecting anything different for their thread as well.

That's just how HF is. Plus why would anyone expect it to be a 100% praise thread? lol.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
MOD

Brings back memories of Toronto signing Brian Burke. Complete with countless pictures of him holding the cup to anyone who wasn't overwhelmingly positive.

But enough about Babcock. I'm curious to know where teams like Buffalo, St. Louis(assuming Hitchcock isn't retained) and San Jose will go from here.

Detroit's plan was already set in place last season.

It is eerily similar to Burke's introduction, and people always pointed to Caryle's cup win when he was brought in too. I suppose the difference is that the overwhelming majority of fans across the league see Babcock as one of, if not the best coach in the world. I don't think too many people thought of Burke and Carlyle in the same light. As far as Detroit goes, it's a much easier pill to swallow when you have Blashill waiting in the wings, no pun intended. It's an organization that loses good people on the regular, I'm sure they'll be fine. I think Deboer has to be a favorite in one of those cities you mentioned. I know many Devils fans don't like him but he might be the best coach available ATM.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Congrats to the Leafs. I feel that their fanbase deserved a win.

It'll be interesting to see how the Leafs proceed, be it rebuild or retool.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
It is eerily similar to Burke's introduction, and people always pointed to Caryle's cup win when he was brought in too. I suppose the difference is that the overwhelming majority of fans across the league see Babcock as one of, if not the best coach in the world. I don't think too many people thought of Burke and Carlyle in the same light. As far as Detroit goes, it's a much easier pill to swallow when you have Blashill waiting in the wings, no pun intended. It's an organization that loses good people on the regular, I'm sure they'll be fine. I think Deboer has to be a favorite in one of those cities you mentioned. I know many Devils fans don't like him but he might be the best coach available ATM.

Big difference between Carlyle and Babcock is that Carlyle's teams were in possession decline starting with the end of his ANaheim tenure into his Toronto tenure, while Babcock's team's fared pretty well in that department. A dude like Jake Gardiner or Morgan Rielly should do quite well under MBabs.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Or you know....to have a discussion? Why does someone having a differing opinion have to be trolling? (Please note I have not posted anything negative about Babcock. I just don't think when someone has a different opinion than you that they MUST be trolling)

No, but when you most of your fan base (and other Leaf haters) comes in here to rain on our parade due to their petty bitterness towards the issue, the posters who are respectful in their disagreements tend to get lost in the heap of crap that the trolls left for all of us Leaf fans to sift through.

So in that case, as a humbled Leaf fan, I apologize. :)...And we agree to disagree.

You see, that was easy. Now please tell most of your fan base to reciprocate the courtesy next time they post a comment.

con310*

With the way Babcock handled himself, I think buff dodged a bullet. Babcock is only in this for money and fame, thinks way to highly of himself. Buffalo needs a hardworking, humble coach to help them. Coaches also are a mentor for yoing players. I'd much rather have a hard worker teach them. The vibe Babcock sends in Toronto is money over everything

No it's not. buffalo offered the same deal as toronto. Babcock chose the Leafs because of what it would do for his legacy if he won in toronto. That's as good of vibe as you could possibly get in your coach. He knows it's going to be a challenge and accepts it.

GREASYGRINDERDETROIT

May 22, 2014
I am genuinely happy for the Leafs and their fans. With that being said, they are lucky to be an O6 franchise in a world-class city. And they better NEVER hurt our Babs (im talking to you, media)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
So we just hired Jim Hiller too. Do we have to compensate a pick for that too?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
What's nice about congratulating a team for having deep pockets and demanding national allegiance?

We don't demand it. Leafs get national attention. That's why every negative thing that happened was mocked across the country. Its a double edged sword.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
No, but when you most of your fan base (and other Leaf haters) comes in here to rain on our parade due to their petty bitterness towards the issue, the posters who are respectful in their disagreements tend to get lost in the heap of crap that the trolls left for all of us Leaf fans to sift through.

So in that case, as a humbled Leaf fan, I apologize. :)...And we agree to disagree.

You see, that was easy. Now please tell most of your fan base to reciprocate the courtesy next time they post a comment.

Looking through this thread I actually don't see any Sabres fans aside from myself, Paxon, and TalkingProuder and none of us have said anything negative.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
We don't demand it. Leafs get national attention. That's why every negative thing that happened was mocked across the country. Its a double edged sword.

Ehh, they have plenty of fans across the nation to be certain, but I've seen enough legit claims of being "Canada's team" to make even a background supporter bristle, and it justifies the widespread annoyance.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Wow, what a guy. Congrats Leafs Fans. You got a winner! Coaching an original 6 team was important to him, history means quite a bit to Babcock. I wish we were a original 6, we might have had a chance. He called Terry Pegula a superstar. =(

Last edited:

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
Why do you keep insisting that everyone's salty? Seriously, are people not even allowed to question the move without you dropping some silly line about how "salty" they are? It's become very tedious.

Because the poster he quoted stated that Babcock was only in it for the money, when multiple sources are reporting he left money on the table in Buffalo. That poster was either incredibly misinformed or trolling (you pick). I don't think it's unreasonable to say that someone is jealous if they criticize our coach without any shred of evidence to back up their claims

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
Because the poster he quoted stated that Babcock was only in it for the money, when multiple sources are reporting he left money on the table in Buffalo. That poster was either incredibly misinformed or trolling (you pick). I don't think it's unreasonable to say that someone is jealous if they criticize our coach without any shred of evidence to back up their claims

That's fair enough I guess, but that guy has been doing it through this entire discussion, even when the vast majority of posts were lauding the move, and when asked to actually provide a quote backing his "so salty lol" nonsense replied that he couldn't quote the whole thread. It seems to be all he does here and it's rather annoying and childish.

Anyway, from this Wings fan, congrats on the hire. I think it's going to work out very well for both parties and I'm excited to see what the future holds in Detroit:)

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Wow, what a guy. Congrats Leafs Fans. You got a winner! Coaching an original 6 team was important to him, history means quite a bit to Babcock. I wish we were a original 6, we might have had a chance. He called Terry Pegula a superstar. =(

I've also gotten the feeling that Mrs. Babcock preferred Toronto to Buffalo and it was very clear that she was part of the decision-making process.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

Are you saying this is unique for the leafs? I think the 436 tank threads bashing Buffalo would disagree. Every team deals with mocking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad