Confirmed with Link: Toronto Maple Leafs file for club-elected salary arbitration with G Jonathan Bernier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm thinking there's reluctance on both sides to commit long-term. The Leafs aren't sure that Bernier is the guy that will be the #1 say 5 years from now which is the earliest they will be a contender. Also, Bernier may not be sold on playing here, there may not be a ton of options for him a year from now as a UFA but if he plays well, there will be some options.

Perhaps a 3 year deal would be good for both sides. Bernier gets some guaranteed money for that time, if he plays well he'll get another good contract, not bad for him. Three years is also time for him to see where the Leafs are headed, if they're on the way up then they could negotiate an extension at some point.

Might be a compromise option that's decent for both parties.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
You said he had been average the last 2 seasons. The first one as a Leaf was statistically a top 5 season.

Also have to say I'm very dubious to that list of yours. Some of those players have exactly the same question marks over a larger sample size. I'd rather have Bernier than Ramo, Miller, Dubnyk and Halak.

And my other point was since you mentioned how he didn't deserve a raise because he's not a bonafide #1 goaltender. There's a lot more fluidity to evaluation and contract negotiations than that.

Agreed. And given that the team has elected for arbitration, CBA arbitration rules will come in to play and the arbitrator will decide.

Unfortunately, someone's definition of a #1 bonafide starter is not what will be used to determine the salary, so its a moot point.

Looking at and understanding the CBA with respect to team elected salary arbitration is appropriate here.

What I have not been able to dig more info on is the CBA "walk-away" rules which will determine what the Leafs can do once the arbitrator provides his decision.

Three things are known:

• The arbitrator will decide on salary
  • The term will be one year
  • The team will not be able to "walk-away", whatever that means or implies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'm thinking there's reluctance on both sides to commit long-term. The Leafs aren't sure that Bernier is the guy that will be the #1 say 5 years from now which is the earliest they will be a contender. Also, Bernier may not be sold on playing here, there may not be a ton of options for him a year from now as a UFA but if he plays well, there will be some options.

Perhaps a 3 year deal would be good for both sides. Bernier gets some guaranteed money for that time, if he plays well he'll get another good contract, not bad for him. Three years is also time for him to see where the Leafs are headed, if they're on the way up then they could negotiate an extension at some point.

Might be a compromise option that's decent for both parties.

For that to occur, I believe the deal between the Leafs and Bernier/agent would have to be made before the arbitrator makes his ruling.

If it occurs afterwards, the one-year contract will go into effect, and a multi-year deal would have to be negotiated during the coming season as an extension.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
General Fanager @generalfanager
by MikeInBuffalo
With Haula signed, arbitration award expected on 2 players today unless settlements reached first

Mike Hoffman (OTT)
Jonathan Bernier (TOR)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
Bernier and TOR settle: $4.15M in each of the next two years for the goalie

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
Jonathan Bernier and the #leafs have settled before the arbitrators award. Two-year deal with $4.15M AAV.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
General Fanager @generalfanager
Jonathan Bernier (TOR)
2 yrs @ $4.15M per @FriedgeHNIC
generalfanager.com/players/1

#Leafs now with $2.5M in cap space without Horton on LTIR.

James Mirtle @mirtle
Bernier's new deal includes a $2-million signing bonus each year. $8.3-million total salary.

The #leafs buy one year of UFA with Jonathan Bernier extension. He will carry the 24th highest cap hit among NHL goalies next season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
Bernier and TOR settle: $4.15M in each of the next two years for the goalie

Jonathan Bernier and the #leafs have settled before the arbitrators award. Two-year deal with $4.15M AAV.

The 2 year settlement is great to avoid losing him as a UFA next year and the money is Mason type range.

That is the amount I was expecting the Arbitrator would have roughly awarded.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
The 2 year settlement is great to avoid losing him as a UFA next year and the money is Mason type range.

That is the amount I was expecting the Arbitrator would have roughly awarded.

I agree, that's a good deal for both and it will give him 2 years to prove he is worth more.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
That's a good deal to come to.

Gives both sides time to see what the future holds, pays Bernier a reasonable amount, and no worries about him walking this summer. If he plays great next season we get a whole year to try and get an extension done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad