Confirmed with Link: Toronto Maple Leafs file for club-elected salary arbitration with G Jonathan Bernier

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/holtby-deal-could-set-the-table-for-resolution-between-leafs-bernier-1.335763

An arbitration hearing between Bernier and the Leafs is scheduled for July 31, with salary requests from each side due on July 29. Bernier will be under contract by Sunday, Aug. 2 at the latest, either by arbitration award or an accord brokered any time before then.

http://www.tsn.ca/leafs-file-for-arbitration-with-g-bernier-1.311761

The Toronto Maple Leafs have filed for club-elected salary arbitration with goaltender Jonathan Bernier.

In 58 games with the Maple Leafs last season, Bernier posted a 21-28-7 record with a .912 save percentage and a 2.87 goals-against average.

Bernier, 26, is eligible for restricted free agency on July 1.

His previous contract with the Leafs was a two-year deal worth an average annual value of $2.9 million. However, the deal was more lucrative in its second year, paying the netminder $3.4 million in 2014-15. The significance of the salary difference is that a qualifying offer to Bernier for 2015-16 would be based on his previous year's salary and not the contract's average annual value.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reported that contract talks are ongoing between the two sides.

Bernier was originally selected 11th overall by the Los Angeles Kings at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. He was traded to the Maple Leafs prior to the 2013-14 season in exchange for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens and a 2015 second-round draft pick. In 175 career games with the two clubs, he has posted a 76-67-20 record with a 2.63 GAA and a .916 save percentage.

He won a Stanley Cup with the Kings in 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005
Probably doesn't even make arbitration. Just prevents any possible offer sheets.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Probably doesn't even make arbitration. Just prevents any possible offer sheets.

Why would the care about an Offer Sheet? I'd think they'd welcome it.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Still don't get why they would be worried about an Offer Sheet.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014

If they want to keep the option of multiple teams perusing him open, and getting back 'exactly' what they want whether that be prospects or picks or both, delaying the process by going to arbitration makes sense.

In the end though this is most likely just two teams trying to come to terms of a medium length deal.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

Would Bernier sign a one year offer for 3.65M? I think it's possible, why not. The compensation would be a 2nd round pick.
Filing for club arbitration takes away the possibility of offer sheets and the chance to sign him for less than 3.4M. But it's kind of funny, first to sign him to a backloaded contract but then not willing to qualify him.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I would think it's because they want to keep him, and not at a potentially stupid salary.

The team seems committed to having Bernier be the starter going forward.

Can't he just sign for a year than walk?

I can't see someone offering him a stupid salary and if so they just take the picks.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Would Bernier sign a one year offer for 3.65M? I think it's possible, why not. The compensation would be a 2nd round pick.
Filing for club arbitration takes away the possibility of offer sheets and the chance to sign him for less than 3.4M. But it's kind of funny, first to sign him to a backloaded contract but then not willing to qualify him.

If he's looking at that, he's walking anyway.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Arbitration settlements always end up in a one year deal. Seems risky to me, and probably not worth it just to save a few 100k against the Cap.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
e2ce19958a78223a7ac5672c8c8679fb.jpg

Gotta get the third amigo signed...

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Can't he just sign for a year than walk?

I can't see someone offering him a stupid salary and if so they just take the picks.

He could, but depending on the team it may be worth the risk. If a team like Edmonton swoops in and makes an offer, he ends up there and things begin turning around he may be inclined to stay there.

They could take the picks as compensation, but management would rather have their player than some picks, I imagine. Like I said, they seem to want Bernier to be the guy, so they'll be angling to keep him.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He could, but depending on the team it may be worth the risk. If a team like Edmonton swoops in and makes an offer, he ends up there and things begin turning around he may be inclined to stay there.

They could take the picks as compensation, but management would rather have their player than some picks, I imagine. Like I said, they seem to want Bernier to be the guy, so they'll be angling to keep him.

Then you match and keep him.

I can't imagine this has anything to do with Offer Sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad