Prospect Info: Toronto Maple Leafs 2020 5th Round (137th OA) C Dmitri Ovchinnikov (RUS) 5'11 163

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I 99% agree. I’m not faulting him for doing it, but I think if you can get the feel developed for getting your guy later and getting someone else you really wanted, that’s something to be better at.

Like I said, I’ve noticed it before but it isn’t something I would gripe about. Just somewhere I think he would benefit from growth and experience. And I think it occurs naturally from GMs moving from one organization to another. I don’t want Dubas to leave and be better elsewhere, though.
I don't know.....trading down consistently shows patience, and very few picks are reaches....

Reactions: Insidefi and Morgs

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
And if Dubas moved up to select a Russian player I trust our Russian intel pipeline tipped us off that another team was sniffing around

Reactions: hockeynorth

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
And if Dubas moved up to select a Russian player I trust our Russian intel pipeline tipped us off that another team was sniffing around
Thats a good point. There are 2 reasons Dubas traded up for him. He was surprised he was still there and got a sense someone would take him.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
You better believe scouts take note of other team’s scouts while watching a player. I recall reading that only the Leafs and Blues knew about Parayko when scouting him in his draft year. You don’t think there was a race between the two teams to draft him? Unfortunately the Leafs lost that race.

Parayko probably went sooner than he should (with most teams probably thinking who the hell is that kid?) based on his stats but I guarantee the Blues thought the Leafs were going to also take him early.

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
This kid has some wheels wow
He looks great but could definitely stand to get stronger
Very exciting pick

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006
I remember the days of Kenny Ryan, Jesse Blacker, Jamie Devane, Eric Knodel, Barron Smith, Brad Ross, David Broll.....and so on....
I used this on Facebook the other day, which is clearly a lost cause, but sometimes fun. People were complaining we didn’t pick a “big right handed dman that might play in the top four,” so I said, “yeah I miss Luke Schenn too”.

Reactions: Drew311

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

MHL website shows he had 4 points. 2 G + 2 A.

Full game video if anyone curious. MHL looks like they air their games live on youtube for free. Might be cool to check out Ov and our other new Russian goalie prospect from time to time.

EDIT: MHL and VHL both show games on youtube.

Last edited:

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
I remember being excited for Sondre Olden and Marcel Mueller coming over from Germany. Very grateful for where the organization is at today.

this just brought back nightmares of my teen years.... also we're technically still waiting.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He played center, but he is not going to be there going forward.

Averages 26 minutes/game thus far in the MHL. He should be at the KHL, or at least VHL, level right now. MHL is not going to challenge him. He just tries to (and often succeeds) skating around everyone but he tries to force things too much.

Unfortunately, Sibir doesn't have a VHL affiliate so it is KHL or bust. It is tough for guys his age to crack the KHL, but that is what he needs right now.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
this just brought back nightmares of my teen years.... also we're technically still waiting.

The team still has a ways to go.. but we are miles ahead of where we were during those dark dark years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad