Prospect Info: Toronto Maple Leafs 2020 5th Round (137th OA) C Dmitri Ovchinnikov (RUS) 5'11 163

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
"He plays with pace, attacks the inside, cuts through traffic, makes flashy net drives, and creates passing lane. He identifies the trailer and teammates through layers. Defensively, Ovchinnikov brings refined decision-making and discipline. He supports the play, keeps an active stick to deter passes, and brings a consistent effort." - Elite Prospects

Over PPG last year in the MHL and again so far this year in the MHL.

Played 2 KHL games last year, and 3 so far this year

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Another guy Scouching profiled (he only did 35 guys and we have 4 of them)

Love this pick at this part of the draft. Would have preferred Pashin, but I'm glad the Leafs are going for straight upside at this point.

Reactions: weems and KMNRB

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Florida tried to use leap years a bunch of times to draft Ovechkin a year before he was eligible, looks like they gave up and traded a pick to us and we tried as well.

In all seriousness I know nothing about this guy

Reactions: Mitch nylander

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Some interesting stats:

His TOI this season (in 7 games) is 25:32. Last season was 18:11.

His 2nd half stats last season was 17-13-15-28. So he improved a lot as the season went on.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Another guy Scouching profiled (he only did 35 guys and we have 4 of them)

Love this pick at this part of the draft. Would have preferred Pashin, but I'm glad the Leafs are going for straight upside at this point.

Scouching touched on what I think is maybe the one area of Dubas’ drafting record that I think needs to develop more with experience, and that is patience.

And by that I mean, it seems like each year there’s a kid selected way earlier than I think was necessary. Not that the player selected is bad, far from it, but because I think if Dubas compared notes with other GMs he’d realize he could’ve waiting till the 6th round and still gotten the guy because no one else was even aware the guy existed.

But I don’t know what intel Dubas has access to, if maybe he knew someone else had also looked at the guy and was going to take him...

I think it’s a skill that really needs to have the GM be fired at least a few times, get into new organizations and get better understanding of how everyone else thinks.

I’m reminded of a quote from Magnus Carlsen, the World Champion in chess: “My opponent is an idiot until proven otherwise.” I mention that quote because Sun Tzu’s “Art of War” which I’m 100% a guy like Dubas would’ve studied, says that you must know your enemy and never under estimate them.

I think it’s important to not overestimate them either.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Scouching touched on what I think is maybe the one area of Dubas’ drafting record that I think needs to develop more with experience, and that is patience.

And by that I mean, it seems like each year there’s a kid selected way earlier than I think was necessary. Not that the player selected is bad, far from it, but because I think if Dubas compared notes with other GMs he’d realize he could’ve waiting till the 6th round and still gotten the guy because no one else was even aware the guy existed.

But I don’t know what intel Dubas has access to, if maybe he knew someone else had also looked at the guy and was going to take him...

I think it’s a skill that really needs to have the GM be fired at least a few times, get into new organizations and get better understanding of how everyone else thinks.

I’m reminded of a quote from Magnus Carlsen, the World Champion in chess: “My opponent is an idiot until proven otherwise.” I mention that quote because Sun Tzu’s “Art of War” which I’m 100% a guy like Dubas would’ve studied, says that you must know your enemy and never under estimate them.

Some sources had Ovchinnikov in the 2nd, if he hadn't moved i think you could've said this, but he doesn't move up unless he's sure someone's taking him

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

I think if he's your guy, and you want him, it's not a bad idea to get him.

Giving up a very late pick to move up and grab a guy you like is never a bad thing- especially when you had 7 picks in the last 3 rounds.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I think if he's your guy, and you want him, it's not a bad idea to get him.

Giving up a very late pick to move up and grab a guy you like is never a bad thing- especially when you had 7 picks in the last 3 rounds.

I 99% agree. I’m not faulting him for doing it, but I think if you can get the feel developed for getting your guy later and getting someone else you really wanted, that’s something to be better at.

Like I said, I’ve noticed it before but it isn’t something I would gripe about. Just somewhere I think he would benefit from growth and experience. And I think it occurs naturally from GMs moving from one organization to another. I don’t want Dubas to leave and be better elsewhere, though.

Reactions: Morgs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->