Prospect Info: Toronto Maple Leafs 2020 5th Round (137th OA) C Dmitri Ovchinnikov (RUS) 5'11 163

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
do we really want that? The way khl teams play young nhl drafted players? He’ll be playing 4 mins a night what’s the point?.

VHL is a step up in from MHL , but a step down from the K. So pretty ideal imo . Jump to KHL would likely be too much and I could see the scenario you described play out . Numbers currently putting you are promising but he needs more of a challenge.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
VHL is a step up in from MHL , but a step down from the K. So pretty ideal imo . Jump to KHL would likely be too much and I could see the scenario you described play out . Numbers currently putting you are promising but he needs more of a challenge.

i thought I read on last page his team has no vhl affiliate? I assumed that meant mhl or khl? Probably a bad assumption I guess

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

From what I've read there's about a 0% chance Ovchinnikov is sent to a VHL team unless he's traded to another organization (highly unlikely).

The reason is because Sibir doesn't have a VHL team, and their "affiliate" Orsk is over 2000km away from them (Sibir currently has ~3 guys on that VHL team). The issue with sending him there is as one poster put it "it's more of a banishing than a promotion" because Sibir's MHL and their KHL team are in the same city. Sending him to Orsk is as good as pretending he's no longer in the organization and they're not going to do that to [probably] their best prospect.

It'd be nice to see him getting ~10 minutes a game on the 4th line in the KHL, but he's "played" 5 games this season and he hasn't played more than a minute each game. A KHL poster said the team can't afford to risk playing him (even if he is one of their best 12 players) because they need every game and "can't trust a kid". For me, the MHL is fine granted he continues to dominate and prove he's arguably the best player in the league- it's obviously not what is most ideal (KHL minutes) for his development, but his dominance is promoting posts like:

and the MHL at worst is a small step down from the CHL.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
From what I've read there's about a 0% chance Ovchinnikov is sent to a VHL team unless he's traded to another organization (highly unlikely).

The reason is because Sibir doesn't have a VHL team, and their "affiliate" Orsk is over 2000km away from them (Sibir currently has ~3 guys on that VHL team). The issue with sending him there is as one poster put it "it's more of a banishing than a promotion" because Sibir's MHL and their KHL team are in the same city. Sending him to Orsk is as good as pretending he's no longer in the organization and they're not going to do that to [probably] their best prospect.

It'd be nice to see him getting ~10 minutes a game on the 4th line in the KHL, but he's "played" 5 games this season and he hasn't played more than a minute each game. A KHL poster said the team can't afford to risk playing him (even if he is one of their best 12 players) because they need every game and "can't trust a kid". For me, the MHL is fine granted he continues to dominate and prove he's arguably the best player in the league- it's obviously not what is most ideal (KHL minutes) for his development, but his dominance is promoting posts like:

This is a very good explanation. This should probably get stickied.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I agree with everything except that. MHL is a fairly large step down from the CHL. The top guys in the MHL can probably be pretty good CHL players, including Ovchinnikov, but most of the MHL prospects can't much up to CHL guys... Especially if he is playing in the OHL.

He might be able to dominate the QMJHL, since goalies are worse and the defense is not as structured.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
do we really want that? The way khl teams play young nhl drafted players? He’ll be playing 4 mins a night what’s the point?.
Agreed, 30 points in 19 games is nice but Marner had 116 in 57 games his D+1 season and that didn't hinder his progress when time came for the next level. Let him demolish the MHL and when the KHL is ready he will (hopefully) be ready for a top 9 role where his minutes per game won't be in the single digits on the forth line or as 13th forward

Reactions: Walshy7

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
This kid has some game. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a meteoric rise on our prospect depth chart this year. Especially if he can carve out a role with the KHL team. Won't be easy for him to do given the KHL's history of burying youth on the 4th line. Nonetheless he is a very interesting prospect to me

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Then you must be pretty happy we traded our 2nd for Niemela and Hirvonen and still managed to grab Ovchinnikov in the 5th :laugh:
that really was tidy work by the Leafs management last year. Even this year TBH, I know they didn't have many pick's and they didn't make any trades to acquire any more, which is something KD traditionally does. To walk away with Knies and Voit as 2 of our 3 picks was really great. I have loved their drafting strategy for a while now, dating back to the 2019 draft really. Just seem to find these guys late in the drafts nowaday's where we once really struggled

Reactions: Morgs

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Its pretty funny/amazing but we actually have a large group of 5th/6th round picks that are actually worth being optimistic about. Particularly forwards.

5 Voit
5 Ovchinnikov
6 Miettenin
6 Holmberg

I legit think all of these guys have a real chance to be good nhlers and I'd be pretty disappointed if none of them made it.

These dmen are a bit more questionable imo but actually still interesting too....tho I wouldn't be surprised if none of them made it:

5 Kral
5 Koster
6 Rindell

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Absolute steal. I had him around 50 on my list.
Bust. And you made a list of 50? Thats more than the scouts had on unknown players because of covid. Sure, you made a list. Where'd you get your intel? Did you attend games that were not played?

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Always get a chuckle out of his name. It's like a made up hockey player when you wanna merge star players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad