Rumor: Toronto 'kicking tires on Redden' (EDIT - Signed with Blues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Scarface*

Aahahahaa won't be coming to TORONTO! :biglaugh:

The pressure itself. I mean the pure pressure poor guy

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs have been 29th or 30th in goals against for 3 of the past 4 seasons, so under the terms of "No Stone Unturned" in hopes of improving on the defense all things must be considered.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Leafs have to get away from signing mediocre players outside of the organization, better options than Redden exist within, show prospects that hard work is rewarded by promotion. Going outside to acquire mediocre players kills organization morale.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs have to get away from signing mediocre players outside of the organization, better options than Redden exist within, show prospects that hard work is rewarded by promotion. Going outside to acquire mediocre players kills organization morale.

I agree with this, I'd give Holzer a shot over Redden.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Beauchemin.
lupul.jpg
gardiner_jake_leafs640_640.jpg

Good play! haha

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The reason why.

Toronto may see him for filler if they need to trade a dman.What if Grabo plus say Franson could land Statsny? Just saying...

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I would not mind giving him a 1 year contract and see him play on our bottom 6 instead of Komi. Pair him with Liles or Franson?

hockeyfanz*

I bet Redden is as good as Liles. The guy was only buried because of his insane salary really. He was never Brett Lebda. But a one year deal at a 1-1.5M can't hurt..especially if they dump Komisarek or trade one or two of their D for a goalie and/or forward.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
At the right price why not?

With Gardiner injured he would be our 6th defenseman worst case scenario.

It isnt worth burning a year of Rielly's contract and he would benefit from another year in the WHL.

I don't get the argument to play one of our career AHL'ers... we're here to win games, not give mediocre players an opportunity to play a year and disappear. Redden is a good NHLer and only was demoted due to his contract. Who ever signs him will get a deal.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
You think Redden regrets playing so well prior to rightfully signing that huge contract since it has impacted his ability to make more in the future?

He signed a contract and didn't even come close to living up to it. This is more than just a situation of a player being offered too much money. Redden did not come as advertised and at least some of that has to be put on himself.

His goal scoring went like this:

17 in 04
10 in 06
7 in 07
6 in 08
3 in 09
and then 2 in 10

He was then sent to the AHL, while receiving full value for his contract, and then proceeded to play at the rate of an AHL/NHL tweener. If rumors are correct, he will be receiving close to a 2 mil pro-rated contract. He scored 14 points in 09-10. The only argument you have for his value being deflated because of him being buried in the minors is that he has mad a ton of money over his career.

His value is low because he hasn't being playing well. As a matter of fact, I would say that his value has been enhanced because GMs seem to be forgetting how awful he was before he was sent to the A.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
I bet Redden is as good as Liles. The guy was only buried because of his insane salary really. He was never Brett Lebda. But a one year deal at a 1-1.5M can't hurt..especially if they dump Komisarek or trade one or two of their D for a goalie and/or forward.

He was never Brett Lebda, but he was still REALLY REALLY bad.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
Toronto may see him for filler if they need to trade a dman.What if Grabo plus say Franson could land Statsny? Just saying...

I would say absolutely not. Stastny is so overrated on our board. In the last two years Grabo has scored more goals than him, and Franson scored at a 7 goal pace last year while being just -1 on a team that finished in the bottom 5.

Grabo+Franson >>>>>>> Stastny+Redden

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I don't see my signing him to a low salary for a season is such a bad idea. It'll just be like a try-out for him, a chance to prove he still belongs in the NHL now that the albatross contract isn't keeping him down in the AHL, and it would be good for depth.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Wouldn't hurt to send him to the AHL, assuming he's interested. Especially if Ranger doesn't want an NHL contract.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
why not?? old guy with leadership. could lead our young guys. hes not even bad, he just had a terrible contract. what if he plays awesome and has some value, we could ship him out for a pick.. You guys remember beauchmin (spellin)..

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He won't be coming here. We already have 7 defensemen on one-way deals plus Rielly and Fraser who could push for spots.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
why not?? old guy with leadership. could lead our young guys. hes not even bad, he just had a terrible contract. what if he plays awesome and has some value, we could ship him out for a pick.. You guys remember beauchmin (spellin)..

He played very poorly with the Rangers in his last season or two. He's 35 and we already have an awful defenseman who used to be an All-Star that is kept around because of his 'leadership'. We don't need another one of these.

SportsProsperity

Jun 26, 2012
I think giving Franson and Holzer more chances for big minutes is a better idea than going out and getting Redden.

MrLegend28*

Redden is a completely capable DMan in the NHL.. just had an ugly contract. Get him for 1-2 mil and hes a steal.

besides

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Gunnarson - Liles
Komisarek - Franson
Holzer

Thats not really that great of a D lol. Dont see why Redden couldnt be added. Add in the fact injuries occur you need 8-9 capable dmen in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad