Sportsnet: Toronto interested in Bernier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Some team is going to give up a Toskala-like package for Bernier, thinking that he is a lock to be a great starting goalie, and for their sake, I hope Bernier turns out better than Toskala.

For the Leafs, Bernier would be far too expensive to make it worth getting him, when they already have Reimer.

Trading frattin along with another mid-level prospect for Bernier is not considered expensive, considering Frattin can be replaced, easily.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Should probably mention the whopping 22 shots per game he faced (3rd fewest among goalies playing more than a dozen games) to provide a bit more context.

With our anti-possession system, Reimer faces closer to 40 shots per game.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
With our anti-possession system, Reimer faces closer to 40 shots per game.

in fairness to the defense, at least 10-15 of those shots are caused by lack of rebound control, and using his glove as a blocker

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
in fairness to the defense, at least 10-15 of those shots are caused by lack of rebound control, and using his glove as a blocker

which would make his save percentage even more amazing, given that shots off of bad rebounds are much higher percentage scoring chances than other shots.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This rumor needs to be killed soon. The Toronto Maple Leafs facebook page has exploded in a sea of 40+ year old men proving to be the most idiotic fans of all time.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Trading frattin along with another mid-level prospect for Bernier is not considered expensive, considering Frattin can be replaced, easily.

I'm guessing a team like NYI or CAL or FLA steps up with a better offer than that.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Toskala was super athletic and had a great glove hand.

Just wasn't so good at stopping pucks.

he just couldnt stop pucks that were shot at him ...though he was really good at getting out of the way of them :naughty:

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
which would make his save percentage even more amazing, given that shots off of bad rebounds are much higher percentage scoring chances than other shots.

nope, not even close... his rebounds are generally dropped in the paint area, and he's big, and always down, so majority of them just keep smacking against his pads, and they rack up a fast 3-4 shots until he can cover it up, or it gets buried under him.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
I would be on board to bring Bernier and have them duke it out for the #1 spot because I think Reimer would come out on top. Besides I don't think I can handle watching Scrivens try to handle the puck anymore, my blood pressure still hasn't recovered.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
nope, not even close... his rebounds are generally dropped in the paint area, and he's big, and always down, so majority of them just keep smacking against his pads, and they rack up a fast 3-4 shots until he can cover it up, or it gets buried under him.

so giving up rebounds isn't a bad thing?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Andrew Raycroft won the Calder Trophy in his 1st season and looked to have a promising career ahead as a result. Ditto Steve Mason the most recent Calder winning goalie.

However the more time that pass the more the strengths and importantly also weaknesses get exposed by game film and greater viewing as more and more players gain experience against a goalie.

While I hope its not true, it certainly wouldn't be the first goalie to burst onto the NHL scene with a bright future followed only by a decline as opposed to an ever increasing performance thereafter as exposure increases. The element of surprise of a rookie young goalie sometimes plays heavily into the early success. But my point being you can't and shouldn't hang your hat that success is guaranteed thereafter as it can go both ways.

Bernier was a top 1st round selection in his entry draft and has been considered a top prospect from the time before he was drafted.. James Reimer to his credit has done very well, but was a 4th round pick and never considered a top goalie prospect at draft time or playing for WJC etc. The raw materials in Bernier's case is very tempting here to believe he has the potential to be better than Reimer in the long term.

So if the Leafs are willing to take a gamble on that for a young goalie like Bernier at the right price I don't see a problem.

With Reimer, he played extremely well in his rookie season, and has shown this year he can play at a high level again. If Bernier can be aquired at a very low cost, there is value. However with the needs on defence, pk forwards, and some people believe the center ice position, using an asset like Frattin or picks would be better served addressing those other areas rather than goaltending.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
so giving up rebounds isn't a bad thing?

how do you extrapolate that from what i said?

I have a few issues with Reimer, and his blocker glove, and inability to control a rebound are foremost ...followed by his tendency to lose sight of the puck when it is behind the net (though that could have been whiplash related)

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
I thought Reimer's performance would close the books on this type of speculation. Apparently not.

Bernier's very good. Might be an upgrade on Reimer. But, for me, that's not enough to pull the trigger on what would have to be a pretty significant return to get him.

We've already invested enough in goaltending trades that didn't work out. We find a guy in Reimer who's played great and we're going to roll the dice again? I'd prefer not.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I don't know why Nonis doesn't seem to be happy with Reimer going forward.

Don't necessarily believe Nonis isn't happy. It's probably more about a certain segment of fans that always want something new and dripping with "potential".

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I don't know why Nonis doesn't seem to be happy with Reimer going forward.

Perhaps he feels there's parts of his game he doesn't like i.e puck handling, Shoot-out, Glove hand, So-so agility/lateral movement.

I like Reimer and appreciate what he's especially last season, But I don't see why we couldn't bring in competition then we'll really find out who's better.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
But the thought of a Reimer -- Bernier young tandem in Toronto does seem appealing.

Hopefully if we do get him, its not for our 1st round pick as the rumour suggests. Good teams are built from the goalie out so this could be a foundational move for Nonis.

Agreed, a Reimer/Bernier young tandem would be excellent. Both are young and still have work/proving to do but that is very appealing.

+2

Avoid moving our 1st and I'm all for the deal. I'm fine with: Frattin + 2nd/Scrivens/Ashton/Colborne

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Bernier is RFA. In any case, what is the point of getting an unproven goalie?

With that logic there is no point in ever drafting anyone, thats a ridiculous comment.

I doubt anyone is giving up a 1st for Bernier, anyone trading away their 1st rounder this year is a sucker, especially for Bernier.

That being said, if Frattin is the key piece to acquiring Bernier, I would like to think that is a done deal.

Frattin was no doubt a contributor on the Leafs, but his value has got to be overshadowed by the potential value that Bernier has.

Frattin and someone like Kenny Ryan or Carter Ashton and maybe even a later round pick is good value for a trade that has a lot of upside for both teams.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I think Reimer proved worthy of being a starter in this league with his performance this past season. Before we start dishing out assets on another goaltender , I think we should be trying to add a top 4 defenceman and/or a #1 center. A goalie should be 3rd or 4th on our priority list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad