Sportsnet: Toronto interested in Bernier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
Bernier will be a Philadelphia Flyer, there is no point in discussing him coming to the Leafs. Dean Lombardi loves Philly players, just look at his acquisitions of Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.

Paul Holmgren could potentially give up Matt Read for Bernier for all we know, as Philly would be looking hard for a goaltender after buying out Bryzgalov.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If he's better than Reimer, get him, never fall in love with any player that contributes to your team being a marginal playoff team. Come to think of it if he's an upgrade to Scrivens, get him, Reimer has a history of injuries so a 1A-1B might be ideal.

We have some interesting tending in the AHL, I will say this much, it's one of those freak years and I would hate and love to be the management. It's such a dynamic year full of opportunity and potential pitfalls. I would need a team with me to figure out where we go this year. It's just like that, your guesses are as good as mine.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Apparently according to the Sportsnet panel it would cost us our 1st round pick 21st overall to acquire him.

You could ask three monkeys chucking feces at each other the same question and get a more intelligent response most of the time.

The most I'd give up would be Frattin + mid pick/2nd tier prospect.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
i'd rather go after a veterin backup..tim thomas..ray emery

I'd trade for Bernier, take a flyer on Thomas, Theodore, or Ellis as a vet backup, and trade Reimer for a 1st+ or top end prospect + pick package.

I would imagine the return on Reimer would be better than the cost to acquire Bernier.
So, in essence we can get a goalie who can catch a puck, and control his rebounds, and make a profit.

Young, and unproven, yes, but, has a similar history as Cam Ward, and can be worth the gamble.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
I'd trade for Bernier, take a flyer on Thomas, Theodore, or Ellis as a vet backup, and trade Reimer for a 1st+ or top end prospect + pick package.

I would imagine the return on Reimer would be better than the cost to acquire Bernier.
So, in essence we can get a goalie who can catch a puck, and control his rebounds, and make a profit.

Young, and unproven, yes, but, has a similar history as Cam Ward, and can be worth the gamble.

i agree with you here, if we trade for bernier, the only thing that would make sense is to trade reimer

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I know it's a small sample size, but, Reimer is now more proven than Bernier!

I'd save the assets it would take to get Bernier and sign a veteran UFA goalie for nothing but cash!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Bernier will be a Philadelphia Flyer, there is no point in discussing him coming to the Leafs. Dean Lombardi loves Philly players, just look at his acquisitions of Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.

Paul Holmgren could potentially give up Matt Read for Bernier for all we know, as Philly would be looking hard for a goaltender after buying out Bryzgalov.

Good, let Holmgren waste assets on an unproven goalie!

MyLeafsForever

Jul 8, 2010
Thunder Bay, Canada
Is Bernier really an upgrade from Reimer? Lets look at the stats from the past 4 seasons in the NHL:

Bernier: GP: 58 GA: 120 GAA: 2.07 W: 28 L: 17 T: 6 SVs: 1315 SV%: .916
Reimer: GP: 104 GA: 263 GAA: 2.52 W: 53 L: 32 T: 14 SVs: 2840 SV%: .915

There are a couple of points to be made from the numbers. Both goalies have a nearly identical winning percentage at 62/63% and both have nearly identical save percentages. Where Reimer has the advantage is in saves per game, making nearly 5 more saves per game than Bernier, and body of work, with Reimer having nearly double the amount of work in 3 seasons versus 4 seasons in the NHL with Bernier.

Reimer is really the proven goalie, Bernier is not. You might also point out that a significant intangible in that the Leafs before this season, were not defensively close in talent to the Kings, giving up more shots per game, and Reimer survived that.

I would say the edge really does go to Reimer, and Bernier is not the upgrade that many people think he is.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I absolutely hate when Toronto trades their high draft picks, as it makes my blood boil.

But the thought of a Reimer -- Bernier young tandem in Toronto does seem appealing.

Hopefully if we do get him, its not for our 1st round pick as the rumour suggests. Good teams are built from the goalie out so this could be a foundational move for Nonis.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
If the price is Frattin, I'd certainly hope Nonis pulls the trigger.

Having 2 good young goalies that can push each other would be fantastic for us. Add the fact tht both can be controlled via RFA, it's a pretty bulletproof situation.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Leafs have a solid goalie in Reimer.
They would be wise to acquire an established goalie to back him up, not a young challenger for his job necessarily.
Either keep BS as the back-up (He is older than Reimer) and play Reimer 60 games, or go get an experienced guy Nabakov, Khabibulin, Emery as a safety net.

Anton Khudobin.933 career save % might be a better option as a UFA than Bernier.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I got ripped on the main board.

But what if the rumblings are; The kings like Frattin - The Flyers like Bernier and the Leafs like Coutourier.

Obviously a bit of tweaking.

PHIL-
Bernier
1st(tor)

LA-
Frattin
B Prospect

Tor-
Couturier

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
How did you connect those dots ?

There is no rumour suggesting Reimer is on his way out, only that Bernier is on his way in.

Why must it be a bad thing to have 2 good goalies?

People here are way to concerned with hurting Reimers feelings. He's a big boy and a professional. He seems like the kind of person that always views the positive in any situation...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Until our goalie can control rebounds and catch the puck, I'm interested in making changes at that position.

I think this is the very reason why Bernier is being explored in fact.

The main difference in the Boston series was Rask verses Reimer when it came to the catching hand and rebound control.

Its also no secret that high glove is a known weakness of Reimer as the announcers constantly reference opponents shots targeting that area.

Reimer is a big goalie so he does cover the net well, but blocking the first shot and rebound control back into traffic is something that does occur, particularly if combined with not catching pucks cleanly.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Jeff Blair made a good point this morning in that teams like to float Toronto's name to generate media buzz and drive up the asking prices for players on the trading block. Take everything you hear concerning the Leafs with a huge grain of salt.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I absolutely hate when Toronto trades their high draft picks, as it makes my blood boil.

But the thought of a Reimer -- Bernier young tandem in Toronto does seem appealing.

Hopefully if we do get him, its not for our 1st round pick as the rumour suggests. Good teams are built from the goalie out so this could be a foundational move for Nonis.

Agreed, a Reimer/Bernier young tandem would be excellent. Both are young and still have work/proving to do but that is very appealing.

I would prefer not to move the 21st for him, but honestly I would consider it. I'm open to taking Fucale at #21, and I would rather have Bernier than Fucale I think (as Bernier is good now and will be good in the future). Our goaltending depth behind Reimer is rather weak.

I can definitely see both sides of the argument though. Reimer played very well last year so Bernier is not a pressing need, but having two goalies of that caliber would be awesome. Gives us some cushion in case of injuries or if one of them ends up busting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad