Speculation: Toronto interested in 6'5" Goalie Matt O'Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Im not sure that his opinion is worth anything more then any of ours.

Does a PTO contract count towards the contract limit? Could we sign him to a PTO with an agreement in place to sign a contract in the summer?

No PTO and ATO contracts signed to play in the AHL do not count in your 50 contracts.

He couldn't play in the NHL however without an NHL contract.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Im not sure that his opinion is worth anything more then any of ours.

Does a PTO contract count towards the contract limit? Could we sign him to a PTO with an agreement in place to sign a contract in the summer?

I would think the kids looking to get paid though. What can he earn through a PTO?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Only if O'Conner demands games this year to burn a year.

If his BU team continues to play in the frozen four tournament then Leafs season will perhaps end before he could be signed for this year.

Bob McKenzie tweeted that even after O'Connor's season is over he will want to visit prospective clubs and hear their pitches before deciding.

It sounds like he doesn't care about burning a year off his contract.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Bob McKenzie tweeted that even after O'Connor's season is over he will want to visit prospective clubs and hear their pitches before deciding.

It sounds like he doesn't care about burning a year off his contract.

I heard that as well from the McKenzie report and so that means Leafs 50 contracts for this year are not a concern here.

O'Conner has his focus on winning a national championship in the NCAA and not getting into a few meaningless NHL games this year.

CalgaryLeaf*

Sounds like the Leafs are out of the running for O'Connor...Even Bob McKenzie failed to mention the leafs recently.

08051860-1040x572.jpg

Oilers in play for O’Connor

Mark Spector MARCH 28, 2015, 9:10 AM
Boston University goalie Matt O’Connor will play at least one more game for Boston University, after his Terriers won a thrilling 3-2 overtime game over Yale on Friday to open the NCAA’s Northeast Regional.

If B.U. wins on Saturday, they’re on to the Frozen Four April 9-11 in Boston. That means the 6-foot-5, 204 pound unrestricted free agent — the hottest UFA on the college market this spring — can take his time choosing which National Hockey League team to sign with.

If B.U. loses Saturday against Minnesota-Duluth, expect an announcement on Wednesday or Thursday, so O’Connor can possibly burn a year of his two-year Entry Level deal by playing an NHL game before the end of the regular season.

Ottawa, Edmonton, the New York Rangers and Buffalo head the pack in teams vying to sign O’Connor, with Vancouver and Calgary also in the race. Nearly half the league has shown interest, but O’Connor is looking at organizational goalie coaches, and how many goaltending prospects already exist in the various organizations.

“Who’s the goalie coach? How much patience do they have to stay with a guy, and really develop him into a NHL goalie?” asks family advisor Reynolds (the NCAA forbids O’Connor to have an agent).

“The depth chart is important, but that can change. We will make our decision before July 1 and the draft, and the depth chart can change considerably after you sign.”

What Reynolds is saying is, he doesn’t expect a team not to improve its goaltending in the short-term. That’s not an issue in Ottawa or New York but certainly is in Buffalo and Edmonton, two teams looking for an NHL No. 1 next season. O’Connor, who will graduate with a Business degree this summer after only three seasons at B.U., will conduct some site visits, speaking with GMs and coaches, and trying to get a feel for the town. Edmonton came out with the prize won when defenceman Justin Schultz conducted one of these deals, though he has not lived up to billing as an offensive defenceman, to a large extent.

“Edmonton is one of the teams going to get serious consideration. There will be a cluster of teams,” Reynolds said. “He’s got lots of options.”

Handicapping the four cities, Buffalo needs goaltending, will get either Connor McDavid or O’Connor’s B.U. teammate Jack Eichel in the draft, and is close to home in Toronto; Ottawa has a strong history of developing goaltenders, though the arrival of Andrew Hammond may have created a reason for the 23-year-old O’Connor to look elsewhere; the only real prospect in Edmonton’s system is former Oil King Laurent Brossoit, and Ben Scrivens in under contract for one more year; the Rangers likely won’t be able to keep Cam Talbot past next season, when he becomes a UFA (Edmonton, desperate for help in net, will pitch draft picks and Slovak defenceman Martin Marincin at the 2015 draft for Talbot, we predict). Being Henrik Lundqvist’s caddy in NYC may not be a bad place for O’Connor to get his feet wet in the NHL, but King Henrik is signed for six more seasons past this one.

Our prediction: Buffalo has the inside track, then Edmonton, the Rangers and Ottawa. (Gut feeling: Don’t rule out Calgary. They’re not married to either Karri Ramo or Jonas Hiller, with Joni Ortio on the farm in Adirondack.)

Continued: ....
•••

Last edited by a moderator:

CalgaryLeaf*

If I was O'Connor I'd wait until after the draft to decide...Whoever ends up with McDavid would be my choice...That said Buffalo will be the quickest team to rebuild,especially if they land McDavid. They are absolutely loaded with draft picks and blue chip prospects.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Would be nice to add him to the stable but it does not look good unless we trade Riemer before the draft then we could promise him the backup role.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If I was O'Connor I'd wait until after the draft to decide...Whoever ends up with McDavid would be my choice...That said Buffalo will be the quickest team to rebuild,especially if they land McDavid. They are absolutely loaded with draft picks and blue chip prospects.

Makes more sense to look at the organization, goalie coach, goalie depth and so on, the things that will shape your development and career. If he is going to follow a player (which would be bizarre) Eichel would make more sense since they are team mates.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm always suspicious when the height of a player or goalie is repeatedly brought up when discussing that individual. I'm guessing that this message is agent driven. Do I need to remind everyone that there are scores of prospects who have been tall and amounted to nothing? Who cares about his height, is he really a good prospect or is it agent hype?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm always suspicious when the height of a player or goalie is repeatedly brought up when discussing that individual. I'm guessing that this message is agent driven. Do I need to remind everyone that there are scores of prospects who have been tall and amounted to nothing? Who cares about his height, is he really a good prospect or is it agent hype?

They did it with the 6' 4" Luongo too.

CalgaryLeaf*

Makes more sense to look at the organization, goalie coach, goalie depth and so on, the things that will shape your development and career. If he is going to follow a player (which would be bizarre) Eichel would make more sense since they are team mates.

it makes perfect sense...Of the teams listed all need a goalie and most of them have a chance to draft Mcdavid.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He needs to focus on what team will give him the best chance to develop and play in the NHL. Mcdavid doesn't factor in to that.

CalgaryLeaf*

And use some common sense...He'd be going to a team that is interested in his services and has a shot at drafting McDavid..It follows that if a team is near the bottom of the standings AND has a chance to win the lottery AND they're bidding for his services, that they need help in goal...Don't make it sound like he'd be following a specific player...There are only 3-4 teams in that parameter.

I suggest that he goes to the team that wins the Mcdavid lottery...It's not like he is imprisoned to that organization for life either.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
And use some common sense...He'd be going to a team that is interested in his services and has a shot at drafting McDavid..It follows that if a team is near the bottom of the standings AND has a chance to win the lottery AND they're bidding for his services, that they need help in goal...Don't make it sound like he'd be following a specific player...There are only 3-4 teams in that parameter.

I suggest that he goes to the team that wins the Mcdavid lottery...It's not like he is imprisoned to that organization for life either.

Well when I guy posts he should go anywhere McDavid does I kinda have to take it as following McDavid since none of the other factors change.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
it makes perfect sense...Of the teams listed all need a goalie and most of them have a chance to draft Mcdavid.

What makes perfect sense is for him to find the place that is going to best for him and not to worry about the draft. Getting McDavid does not ensure any team will be an instant contender.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
NYC will have only NYR...Islanders will be in Brooklyn for 2015/16

Ontario has two. NY State has three including Buffalo.

Right now, the Islanders are not in New York City. They are in Uniondale just outside New York City on Long Island. Next season, the Islanders will move to Brooklyn. Brooklyn is part of New York City (one of the five buroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island) and is also on Long Island.

You also really need to include the Devils in any NYC discussion. The Prudential Center is only about a 14 mile drive from Madison Square Gardens. And in fact, after the Islanders move to Barclays Center, the distances between the NYC area teams will be greatly descreased.

Rangers and Islanders -- Current: 28-29 miles Next Season: ~6 miles
Islanders and Devils -- Current: 41-48 miles Next Season: ~14 miles

CalgaryLeaf*

Well when I guy posts he should go anywhere McDavid does I kinda have to take it as following McDavid since none of the other factors change.

Anywhere is defined as a lottery team who has shown they have a need for a goaltender and are interested in signing him...That's not a lot of teams. We already know that Edmonton and Buffalo follow that description. it's like an A,B or c type of choice...Going to the team that lands the next generational talent is not exactly a bad choice.

CalgaryLeaf*

Right now, the Islanders are not in New York City. They are in Uniondale just outside New York City on Long Island. Next season, the Islanders will move to Brooklyn. Brooklyn is part of New York City (one of the five buroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island) and is also on Long Island.

You also really need to include the Devils in any NYC discussion. The Prudential Center is only about a 14 mile drive from Madison Square Gardens. And in fact, after the Islanders move to Barclays Center, the distances between the NYC area teams will be greatly descreased.

Rangers and Islanders -- Current: 28-29 miles Next Season: ~6 miles
Islanders and Devils -- Current: 41-48 miles Next Season: ~14 miles

New Yorkers use the term 'New York' to mean Manhattan..and so so I

Technically you are correct about the Burroughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad