Speculation: Toronto interested in 6'5" Goalie Matt O'Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalgaryLeaf*

Per Dreger:

Fresh off winning the Beanpot tournament on Monday, Boston University goaltender Matt O'Connor has become a prime target for several NHL teams.
Sources tell TSN that as of Monday, 14 NHL clubs have expressed interest in signing the 23-year-old college free agent and as many as five teams are promising NHL playing time this season if O'Connor chooses to sign at the end of his college season.
Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary are all believed to be keenly interested in signing the the undrafted 6'5" goalie, while Buffalo and Phoenix are also considered to be contenders on the list of 14 as well.
O'Connor has met individually with a number of teams and will continue to do so before making a final decision.
O'Connor is scheduled to graduate this summer with a business degree.

http://www.tsn.ca/dreger-report-teams-lining-up-for-o-connor-1.215858

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well close to the half the league is interested, it's no surprise.

I don't think the Leafs stand a chance of signing him.

CalgaryLeaf*

Well close to the half the league is interested, it's not surprise.

Why not?....Leafs can offer him a legit chance to make the team...I assume money is the same and there is a ceiling to the bids.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why not?....Leafs can offer him a legit chance to make the team...I assume money is the same and there is a ceiling to the bids.

Legitimate chance of making the team? He'd be hard pressed to make the Marlies right now. We have 4 goaltenders that have actually proved something as pro players.

I suppose that if the Leafs trade Reimer or Bernier there would be a spot for him to try and get a spot next season, but chances are that spot is for either Gibson or Bibeau or even Sparks (dominating the ECHL and way to good for that league).

I just don't see how the Leafs are attractive to him in the short-term.

CalgaryLeaf*

Legitimate chance of making the team? He'd be hard pressed to make the Marlies right now. We have 4 goaltenders that have actually proved something as pro players.

I suppose that if the Leafs trade Reimer or Bernier there would be a spot for him to try and get a spot next season, but chances are that spot is for either Gibson or Bibeau or even Sparks (dominating the ECHL and way to good for that league).

From the reports I'm reading he's a step above the Marlies goalies. Blue chipper

CalgaryLeaf*

Also born in Toronto.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
From the reports I'm reading he's a step above the Marlies goalies. Blue chipper

I'm not saying he isn't good or worth signing. I'd love to sign him.

What I'm saying is that O'Connor probably has better options on the table on teams with far worst goaltending depth and a chance to prove himself faster and with a longer leash.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

What I'm saying is that O'Connor probably has better options on the table on teams with far worst goaltending depth and a chance to prove himself faster and with a longer leash.

Maybe in Buffalo. That's about it.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region

I can't stand posts like these.

"I'm a Leafs fan, so I can't have nice thingz...durrrrrr". Pathetic and depressing post on your part.

It would be one thing if you had some fact to back it all up with...but you don't, and your basing your entire opinion on " Who wants to come to this gongshow of a team?!" instead of looking at it like..."That starting goaltending position is still up for grabs!"

And if not the Leafs, then explain which team has a better chance than them?...

Keep in mind..that he is from Toronto, and Bernier hasn't exactly solidified himself as a No #1 goaltender.

I'd also like to point out that Michigan native Danny Dekeyser signed with his hometown team immediately after doing the rounds with other teams, with no promises that he would make the club out of camp.

So after listing the above, please explain why you feel that way?...

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

I think that the depth in TO is very fluid and could change on a dime. A native son may see the opportunity to seize the moment.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I can't stand posts like these.

"I'm a Leafs fan, so I can't have nice thingz...durrrrrr". Pathetic and depressing post on your part.

It would be one thing if you had some fact to back it all up with...but you don't, and your basing your entire opinion on " Who wants to come to this gongshow of a team?!" instead of looking at it like..."That starting goaltending position is still up for grabs!"

And if not the Leafs, then explain which team has a better chance than them?...

Keep in mind..that he is from Toronto, and Bernier hasn't exactly solidified himself as a No #1 goaltender.

I'd also like to point out that Michigan native Danny Dekeyser signed with his hometown team immediately after doing the rounds with other teams, with no promises that he would make the club out of camp.

So after listing the above, please explain why you feel that way?

Good lord calm down.

I just gave legitimate reasons why I don't think it's going to happen. It has nothing to do with the performance of the Leafs overall.

I never said it's impossible or a pipe dream either. I just don't think we're a good fit for him.

Tense much?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You clearly don't know how solid the Leafs goaltending depth is right now.

It's nothing special here at the moment. Just because you can name the players down in the AHL doesn't mean they're going to be doing things for you, and nothing is set here in the NHL.

Durkin67

They need to demonstrate that he has a legitimate opportunity to challenge for at least a backup role at the NHL level. I'd demonstrate that commitment by trading Bernier. They don't need to be paying Tukka Rask money to backstop a garbage team. Let Reimer run with the 1A gig and convince O'Connor the future is all his if he can develop as predicted.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Just because we have depth right now doesn't mean we don't have a good chance at getting him or a reason why he wouldn't come here. It's going to depend on the opportunity and if the Leafs offer him that than he signs. It has nothing to do with having depth. The Leafs can change their depth at any moment but getting rid of a goalie or two and making room. Don't let the depth chart now dictate who and who we may or may not sign. It's all a fluid situation

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good lord calm down.

I just gave legitimate reasons why I don't think it's going to happen. It has nothing to do with the performance of the Leafs overall.

I never said it's impossible or a pipe dream either. I just don't think we're a good fit for him.

Tense much?

Legitimate reasons in favour why Toronto.

Matthew O'Connor born Toronto, Ontario, Canada. :)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's nothing special here at the moment. Just because you can name the players down in the AHL doesn't mean they're going to be doing things for you, and nothing is set here in the NHL.

It's better then a lot of teams though, which was my point.......?

I've watched a lot of Marlies games this season, which is a lot more then just naming them. Probably the only thing that's been great consistently for the Marlies.

CalgaryLeaf*

It's better then a lot of teams though, which was my point.......?

I've watched a lot of Marlies games this season, which is a lot more then just naming them. Probably the only thing that's been great consistently for the Marlies.

Ben Scrivens had a .935 save% his last season for the Marlies...I think Edmonton is still searching for a #1 goalie.

CalgaryLeaf*

Edit: Scrivens had a .935 sv% in 2012 and .917 in 2013 for the Marlies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ben Scrivens had a .935 save% his last season for the Marlies...I think Edmonton is still searching for a #1 goalie.

What's your point? AHL success doesn't equal NHL success? Good one!

Again, my point isn't that I don't want O'Connor or that we don't need him. I never ever said that. All I said was that I doubt he signs with us because of our current decent and I think other teams are more lucrative for his career. That's it.

I want nothing more then to sign him, along with the other top UFA prospects.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Good lord calm down.

Tense much?

No, I'm just really sick of reading posts such as:

"We have no shot at McDavid."

"Who would want to sign here?"

"We can't have nice things!"

Keep the debbie downer crap to yourself. Just because the team is currently playing bad doesn't mean we'll never have a good chance at attracting free agents.

Why wouldn't Matt O'Connor see this as an golden opportunity to take the bull by the horns and steal the starting spot away from Bernier?

Also, why would a stacked team have a better chance to sign him than us when our goaltending position is still up in the air?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad