Speculation: Toronto interested in 6'5" Goalie Matt O'Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
What is Bernier worth?

If he wants $4M do you keep him? I haven't seen a number one goalie, so yes he can be traded. At the end of the day you need a top 10 goalie to compete and he isn't.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Quite frankly I would get rid of Reimer asap and try to get this guy. In fact I would take anyone over Reimer at this point. Even Toskala or Raycroft would be better than him

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
He was very clearly injured and rushed back yet still played miles better than Reimer.

Reimer's last 15 decisions - 3-12-0 .898 SV% 3.26 GAA

Bernier's last 15 decisions - 9-4-2 .921 SV% 2.80 GAA

Were these two even playing for the same team down the stretch? Reimer was a disaster, don't even try to bring Bernier down to his level... It's very clear who the better goaltender is. I can't believe it's even a case of people saying "trade Reimer or Bernier"

Bernie wasn't around for the tank last year but he is this year, there's very little to choose between them, your stats from last year leave a lot of info out like comparing Bermie's record this year before the collapse as opposed to his record since TO started losing. Is Bernie responsible for TO's good record and not responsible for TO's bad record, what are you saying.

Are you still completely blaming TO's constant losing this year on Reimer and if not are you saying it might be that Bernie is partly to blame much like it was with Reimer being partly to blame for TO's record down the stretch last year.

So far Reimer has enabled TO to make the playoffs and he put TO in a position to almost win a playoff series, Bernie, not?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We trade Reimer and keep Bernier....by far the better goalie.

Better GAA, Better Save %....

What about the 1st round pick we can get who may or may not even make the NHL and will need 4+ years to develop?

Haven't you heard? We are rebuilding and that means trading everything for picks.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
boston university is still in the playoffs. until they are eliminated, matt o'coonor cannot speak or sign a contract with any nhl team. ncaa rules i believe.

edit: didn't see cor's reply. oops.

Ok but why is there so much speculation then? There a ton of good college players still playing - I don't get it.

CalgaryLeaf*

Ok but why is there so much speculation then? There a ton of good college players still playing - I don't get it.

He the best Free wallet goalie coming out this year and he's a Toronto boy...Dreger already listed the teams who are interested in the guy.The Leafs are on that list.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
boston university is still in the playoffs. until they are eliminated, matt o'coonor cannot speak or sign a contract with any nhl team. ncaa rules i believe.

edit: didn't see cor's reply. oops.

I think he is allowed to talk to teams but cannot sign until his season ends. We are hearing how teams are promising big league ice time and stuff so they must be able to at least pitch him right now.

I am not too bothered if we get him or not but I guess we are saving our 1 contact spot in hopes he signs.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Quite frankly I would get rid of Reimer asap and try to get this guy. In fact I would take anyone over Reimer at this point. Even Toskala or Raycroft would be better than him

This is how I know you didn't actually watch Toskala or Raycroft.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If he wants $4M do you keep him? I haven't seen a number one goalie, so yes he can be traded. At the end of the day you need a top 10 goalie to compete and he isn't.

MAF, Osgoode, and Niemi were the goalies for three of the past 7 Cups. Ward and Khabibulin won Cups in the 2000s as well.

Average goalies can win Cups on good teams, or if they get hot at the right time. Guys like Halak, Miller, Hiller, Bernier, and those goalies named above arent consistent top 5-10 guys, but they do have the ability to get hot for stretches, play as a top 5-10 goalie for a year, then drop down the next season. Get hot and win a few playoff series, etc.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
So by your logic only 10 teams can compete and the Red Wings certainly cannot. Chris Osgood says hello.

Niemi and Crawford as well.

The goalie market isnt like it used to be. There's Price and Rinne, and then 20-30 guys who are largely interchangable and their play can inexplicably change drastically. Look at Dubnyk and Hammond.

Nobody invests much in goalies anymore. Chicago won a cup with Niemi, and then didn't want to give him 5 million and they replaced him with whoever was around.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
MAF, Osgoode, and Niemi were the goalies for three of the past 7 Cups. Ward and Khabibulin won Cups in the 2000s as well.

Average goalies can win Cups on good teams, or if they get hot at the right time. Guys like Halak, Miller, Hiller, Bernier, and those goalies named above arent consistent top 5-10 guys, but they do have the ability to get hot for stretches, play as a top 5-10 goalie for a year, then drop down the next season. Get hot and win a few playoff series, etc.

Ray Emery went to the finals with Ottawa. Dwayne Roloson went to the finals with Edmonton. Michael Leighton went to the finals with Philly.

This "average goalie gets hot and pulls a team along" pretty much happens every single playoffs. Multiple goalies too.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
BU play 2pm on the 27th. Should be a good game, and I'll certainly be watching to see how he plays, and of course, catch some Eichel action.

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
Does anyone remember what happened to that other NCAA goalie we almost signed a few years ago? I think he eventually signed with Pittsburgh (not sure if they had both Vokoun and MAC signed or just MAC). Where's the guy playing and is he any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad