Speculation: Toronto interested in 6'5" Goalie Matt O'Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
What about the 1st round pick we can get who may or may not even make the NHL and will need 4+ years to develop?

Haven't you heard? We are rebuilding and that means trading everything for picks.

We would not get a 1st round pick for him....

Bernier is our best goalie and it is not even close.....the fact that he had a off season means that the contract he gets will not be a deal breaker.

If we sign him to say a 4 year deal at 4M per we get good goal-tending at a cheap price and if he plays well next season he could then fetch a 1st plus as his contract would allow that.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Niemi and Crawford as well.

The goalie market isnt like it used to be. There's Price and Rinne, and then 20-30 guys who are largely interchangable and their play can inexplicably change drastically. Look at Dubnyk and Hammond.

Nobody invests much in goalies anymore. Chicago won a cup with Niemi, and then didn't want to give him 5 million and they replaced him with whoever was around.

Rinne? he is not as good as Price

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Ray Emery went to the finals with Ottawa. Dwayne Roloson went to the finals with Edmonton. Michael Leighton went to the finals with Philly.

This "average goalie gets hot and pulls a team along" pretty much happens every single playoffs. Multiple goalies too.

Didn't Philly have 2 other goalies that got injured before they went with Leighton?

CalgaryLeaf*

"According to an NHL source, there are 14 teams that can be characterized as having strong interest in signing him. Five of those teams have already offered to play him in the NHL this season in order to burn a year on what would be a two-year entry-level deal.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/

A lot of buzz about undrafted Boston University goalie Matt O’Connor. The Toronto native has impressive raw tools that everyone looks for in new-age goaltenders, he’s big (6’6) and athletic. He’s not a puck blocker, but his lateral mobility and agility are impressive. I had the opportunity to see him play twice in Boston this year, and while I can see the intrigue, patience will be required, he’s got a while to go. Very raw from a positional standpoint, he’s almost too mobile, losing his crease and reacting. It’s a cliche, but he needs to learn to allow the game to come to him, as opposed to getting uber aggressive and reactive. That said, a free lunch is a free lunch.

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/uncategorized/observations-levels-player-notes-sean-lafortune/

After splitting time with Sean Maguire (PIT) last season, O’Connor has assumed the undisputed starter’s role this season. The Toronto, ON native sports an 18-3-4 record that includes one shutout in 27 appearances. O’Connor’s .800 winning percentage currently leads the nation, while his 18 wins are tied for sixth. One of his more impressive stats is the fact that he has allowed more than three goals just once this season, which came in BU’s 6-5 loss to Northeastern on Feb. 27th. More recently, O’Connor was named one of the 28 nominees for this year’s Mike Richter Award as the nation’s top goaltender.

One of the attributes that makes O’Connor so attractive to NHL teams is his 6’5†and 204-pound frame. He possesses great athleticism and moves remarkably well for such a big netminder. O’Connor has blossomed into one of the nation’s most reliable goaltenders, demonstrating that he can not only keep his teams in games but also help win them. O’Connor is a goaltender who gets better with the more shots that he faces. He has greatly improved limiting second opportunities and is more aggressive in challenging shooters.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...-free-agents-that-could-soon-land-in-the-nhl/

Matt-OConnor.jpg

Due to his size and his impressive stats, O’Connor is sure to have a long line of GMs with max entry-level contracts in hand. More than a dozen teams are reportedly interested in O’Connor, but that number could grow if he has success in the postseason. With the success Talbot and Ottawa Senators goaltender Andrew Hammond have been enjoying late this season, there’s no telling how big the market for O’Connor could get before he’s ready to sign on the dotted line.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...eason-officially-open-thanks-to-bruins-flyers

Hockey East All-Tournament Team … Hockey East Second Team All-Star … Leads Hockey East in winning percentage (.812), fifth in save percentage (.924), and sixth in goals against average (2.27) … Has started 31 games and leads the team in wins (22), save percentage (.928), and goals against average (2.12) … NCAA.com No. 3 Star of the Week (Oct. 28) … Three-time runner-up, Hockey East Goaltender of the Month (Oct., Nov., Dec.) … Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week (Oct. 27) … Five-time Hockey East Top Performer … Picked up his first win of the season and first shutout of his career after making 29 saves in a 1-0 win against Michigan State (Oct. 24) … Made 38 saves in a 3-2 victory over No. 14 Michigan (Oct. 25) … Named Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week and NCAA Hockey No. 3 Star of the Week (Oct. 27) … Made 27 saves in a 5-3 victory at No. 3 Boston College (Nov. 7) … Recorded 27 saves in a 3-1 victory at Maine (Nov. 14) … Made 30 saves in a 4-2 victory over No. 18 Merrimack (Dec. 6) … Made 35 saves en route to a 5-1 victory at RPI (Dec. 13) … Named Hockey East Defensive Player of Week after stopping 63 of 66 shots against in back-to-back wins at No. 12 Vermont (Jan. 23, 24) … Made 30 saves in BU’s victory in the Beanpot final (Feb. 23) … Backstopped BU to a 2-game sweep of Merrimack in the Hockey East quaterfinals, making 43 saves (Mar. 13-14) … Stopped 54 of 58 shots in back-to-back wins in the Hockey East semifinal and final (Mar. 20, 21).

http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/matt_oconnor_822426.html

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There is conflicting information of how many contracts we're at. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

I'm fairly confident we're at 49. I'm no pro CBA reader or credited journalist though.

I didn't see this but Chris Johnston said yesterday on twitter that the Leafs told him they were at 50 contracts.

So I guess that's the definitive answer we've been looking for.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I didn't see this but Chris Johnston said yesterday on twitter that the Leafs told him they were at 50 contracts.

Is there no way they can get out of a contract of a player they don't see has any future? I recall this being done in the past, but I could be (quite easily) mistaken.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is there no way they can get out of a contract of a player they don't see has any future? I recall this being done in the past, but I could be (quite easily) mistaken.

It's possible to terminate a contract, but it has to be a mutual termination from both parties (team and player). That's how we got out of the Kontiola contract.

I wish Orr would just retire or want out of his contract... but I guess it's nice to just sit on a paycheque.

CalgaryLeaf*

So that's it?..Leafs are officially out of the O'Connor hunt?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's possible to terminate a contract, but it has to be a mutual termination from both parties (team and player). That's how we got out of the Kontiola contract.

I wish Orr would just retire or want out of his contract... but I guess it's nice to just sit on a paycheque.

I guess they could always trade some plug + 5th for a 6th, something like that?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Im not sure that his opinion is worth anything more then any of ours.

Does a PTO contract count towards the contract limit? Could we sign him to a PTO with an agreement in place to sign a contract in the summer?

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Im not sure that his opinion is worth anything more then any of ours.

Does a PTO contract count towards the contract limit? Could we sign him to a PTO with an agreement in place to sign a contract in the summer?

No chance of a PTO signing unless one of Reims or Bernier gets injured, IMO. AND I'm pretty sure neither of them would clear waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad