Pre-Game Talk: Toronto in Arizona | November 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Until they can manage to get some practice time in the main thing that Keefe can bring is confidence and hope.

Babcock was an extreme micromanager. That is not a bad thing, but what that means is when players lose confidence in the coach they really lose confidence. If your coach is pretty hands off and you are mostly playing creatively, it doesn't really matter that much if you lose confidence in the coach. If your coach is very hands on and has constant input in every aspect of the game when you lose confidence in him that is the back of your mind every second you are on the ice. The PP goes a dry spell and every time you are out on the PP it is in the back your mind that the whole structure etc comes from a guy who you no longer believe in. When you start each game what is in the back of your mind is that you don't think this coach is capable to leading this team to wins. When your team falls behind what is in the back of your mind is that you don't think that this coach is capable of finding the holes in your opponents or coming up with idea or running the lines properly to give your team a good chance of getting back into the game.

It becomes all encompassing - you play every minute with nagging doubts that there is a big problem leading your team and you are powerless to do anything about it.
Really good take and points
Really good

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Ich just washed min toronto cap. It's real clean now mayne. We will wear these with honour for life baby. For life. But now was the time to put in the washing machine. :clean: :wash: :water: :up: :get:

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Matthews 23 a night
Jt 19 a night
Kerfoot 13
Goat 5

thats how a top heavy roster has to play. The depth delusion was the demise of ole egocock.

with proper player deployment keefe will look like a god

Reactions: Macallan18

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I mean, anyone expecting a turnaround in a day is crazy.

Tomorrow, about all we can expect to see is usage.

How much does Matthews play? Tavares? Where does Barrie play? Those type of things
Looking forward to seeing all of this. Maybe actually take Shore out of the lineup as well.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
BTW just put up 190,000 vbucks on the Leafs tonight ;) 1:1 odds rn

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Matthews 23 a night
Jt 19 a night
Kerfoot 13
Goat 5

thats how a top heavy roster has to play. The depth delusion was the demise of ole egocock.

with proper player deployment keefe will look like a god
yes, the turnaround could be quite quick, especially with a little luck.
As well, imagine a Rielly Barrie pairing, and Ceci pushed to third pairing or the press box. would also help.
And just think, if we are down a goal in the third, playing our guys that can actually score????
wow, just wow.
Babcock always made me think of the Soviet era CCCP teams. Losing in the third, they refused to pull their goalie, thinking it was a losing strategy. They could never understand creating high risk events to at least get a chance to tie the score.
I have been down on Babs a very long time, Keefe will look great quick.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Until they can manage to get some practice time in the main thing that Keefe can bring is confidence and hope.

Babcock was an extreme micromanager. That is not a bad thing, but what that means is when players lose confidence in the coach they really lose confidence. If your coach is pretty hands off and you are mostly playing creatively, it doesn't really matter that much if you lose confidence in the coach. If your coach is very hands on and has constant input in every aspect of the game when you lose confidence in him that is the back of your mind every second you are on the ice. The PP goes a dry spell and every time you are out on the PP it is in the back your mind that the whole structure etc comes from a guy who you no longer believe in. When you start each game what is in the back of your mind is that you don't think this coach is capable to leading this team to wins. When your team falls behind what is in the back of your mind is that you don't think that this coach is capable of finding the holes in your opponents or coming up with idea or running the lines properly to give your team a good chance of getting back into the game.

It becomes all encompassing - you play every minute with nagging doubts that there is a big problem leading your team and you are powerless to do anything about it.
Great take. I find the psychology of sports is downplayed in the media. You don't hear these logical sort of takes. It's very black and white and quantifiabl ....."they're professionals, they will bring it every game". Yes, but they're ignoring the great influencer of all behaviour.....the unconscious.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I wouldnt be shocked if Dubas and Keefe ran through some line combinations together and Dubas made suggestions for what he would like to see.

i’d be happy if Keefe just said “forget everything and just go play hockey, systems come tomorrow”.

I believe that would be an improvement.

Reactions: willmma

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
A question for my fellow HFBoarders.

What can Keefe realistically do to improve our chances in this game on day notice?
Effort. TOI for star players. Line blending.

I don’t expect much until December

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
Babcock always made me think of the Soviet era CCCP teams. Losing...

:huh:

Red Machine Gold medals:

WHC:
Gold (1954, 1956, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1990)
Canada Cup:
Champion (1981)
Olympics:
Gold (1956, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1984, 1988)

Definitely gonna check this one with Bab out I believe Leafs will play alot more energetically because the coach doesn't hinder the players and as some have said here everyone can now show what they are made of. Hopefully with a chip on their shoulder! Good luck! :thumbu:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Effort. TOI for star players. Line blending.

I don’t expect much until December
I expect a completely inspired team and decent results. We didn’t make this move to muddle along for a few weeks, we have to hit the gas today.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
A question for my fellow HFBoarders.

What can Keefe realistically do to improve our chances in this game on day notice?
If he can make the kids happy it will help, but that won't improve the defensive liabilities of the team nor help with the back up goalie issue.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A coaching change shakeup usually results in a short term boost of adrenaline that sees the players respond as a result.

Leaf performance against the Pens was rock bottom, so effort and compete level can only go up from there.

Lets see if Keefe can ride that early wave to some wins out of the gate.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I expect a completely inspired team and decent results. We didn’t make this move to muddle along for a few weeks, we have to hit the gas today.

I hope you're right. A change should provide some spark, some energy.

Of course most teams would have stepped up and helped out a new backup goalie and this one didn't. So I'm just not sure what we can expect out of them.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I hope you're right. A change should provide some spark, some energy.

Of course most teams would have stepped up and helped out a new backup goalie and this one didn't. So I'm just not sure what we can expect out of them.
At the very least, there is no more excuses. I think this team has been embarrassing to date, now their coach crutch is gone, so produce. Pretty simple.

Reactions: crump

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Would be nice to see some increased ice time for Matthews, why not play him both PP's for example. Barrie on the first unit I saw someone suggest, would be nice to see, and even Rielly/Barrie pairing 5/5 to see how it goes. When Marner comes back...
Nylander Matthews Marner
.play the snot out of Andersen until we get back into playoff position (inc back to backs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad