Pre-Game Talk: Toronto in Arizona | November 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
The Yote's aren't the joke they used to be, could be a difficult night for the boys in Blue?
Definitely not sire. But yeah they do have an awful pp and also they often play huge minutes without getting any shots on goal nore even attacks. But yeah I agree with the other guy or girl that they will win this one (the Leafs do). Our bursting scoring power will shine tomorrow and we'll be banking like 5-6 goals guaranteed. Invest money. I did. And I win.

Reactions: lottster14

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
At least we have hope they’ll play or do something different in this game.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I'd like to see Rielly-Barrie 5-on-5.

Ideally, that was the plan all along to use Barrie like Gards with Rielly that worked so well the last couple of years. It was a dismal failure and they stopped trying. They actually had it going again last night though and it looked great for once. Probably should have kept trying it but 23% goal differential looks ugly.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
A question for my fellow HFBoarders.

What can Keefe realistically do to improve our chances in this game on day notice?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

What can Keefe realistically do to improve our chances in this game on day notice?

To be honest, he can probably do nothing that will tell us what kind of coach he will be.

That will take time. I'm more interested in the ice times he gives to players, what he does for offensive and defensive zone draws, what he does after we score a goal or give up a goal. PP unit times etc.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland

I feel like playing Matthews more 20 minutes in his home town is a good start. He can also experiment with some new line combinations as we all know Babcock was a tad on the stubborn side.

Ultimately though, I don’t think anyone’s expecting him to swoop in and make an immediate difference. He needs to get his bearings first.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Arizona is coming off 2 shutouts in a row. Matthews getting a pair or more would be fitting, EH?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

The biggest thing you should notice is the players effort levels. They all have to impress a new coach, and show themselves to be deserving of opportunities. This team is gonna skate hard.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
This transition is going to require some patience. I just hope the boys get a jolt in their step from it.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Until they can manage to get some practice time in the main thing that Keefe can bring is confidence and hope.

Babcock was an extreme micromanager. That is not a bad thing, but what that means is when players lose confidence in the coach they really lose confidence. If your coach is pretty hands off and you are mostly playing creatively, it doesn't really matter that much if you lose confidence in the coach. If your coach is very hands on and has constant input in every aspect of the game when you lose confidence in him that is the back of your mind every second you are on the ice. The PP goes a dry spell and every time you are out on the PP it is in the back your mind that the whole structure etc comes from a guy who you no longer believe in. When you start each game what is in the back of your mind is that you don't think this coach is capable to leading this team to wins. When your team falls behind what is in the back of your mind is that you don't think that this coach is capable of finding the holes in your opponents or coming up with idea or running the lines properly to give your team a good chance of getting back into the game.

It becomes all encompassing - you play every minute with nagging doubts that there is a big problem leading your team and you are powerless to do anything about it.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Can't wait to not have the excessive line matching

It will be a breath of fresh air. I should add that when it my previous post I said that it was not a bad thing that Babcock was an extreme micromanager - I only mean that it is situational. It will be beneficial for some teams and rosters, and harmful for other teams and rosters.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The biggest thing you should notice is the players effort levels. They all have to impress a new coach, and show themselves to be deserving of opportunities. This team is gonna skate hard.

At least we hope that will be the case...

Reactions: socko

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I mean, anyone expecting a turnaround in a day is crazy.

Tomorrow, about all we can expect to see is usage.

How much does Matthews play? Tavares? Where does Barrie play? Those type of things
Exactly, I do expect to see a much more upbeat team, and I expect we see a really good effort.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hmmmm... I think you might be mistaken. I've been especially critical of him since game 7 last year, and have wanted him fired since the second or third week of this season.

When there was that quote about how he "always bets on Mike Babcock", I said I didn't have any problem with with it, if that's what you mean.
Oh okay. I guess I got the wrong person. Sorry about that.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You won't see a new system tomorrow. The guy hasn't had one practice yet, and he will be coaching his 1st game. The only thing you will see are some situation stuff, and ice times. On Friday, he can do an initial system add, and then the full system will be established in probably 2 weeks.

Reactions: Teeder Keon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad