Speculation: Toronto Cap Hell. 2019 Summer Fire Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I can buy that in theory but I just don't see a right team for him.

There aren't that many teams that need an RHD relative to what is available in the free agent market or the trade market. Any 27 year old getting a 5 year deal on this market is likely a better option than Zaitsev that they will pursue. Most other trade options are also better options from a value perspective.

No, it isn't. Russell on a much worse team that is coached much worse than Toronto is having a better year than Zaitsev. Zaitsev at this point would not supplant either Russell or Larsson in Edmonton and that isn't exactly a difficult thing to do if he had enough talent but he just doesn't. The only way that Zaitsev gets moved this off-season is with an asset tagged with him since retention isn't really an option for Toronto this off-season.

No he isnt. Hes terrible.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Robidas ?

Lupul ?

They died on the vine in Toronto.
You are correct. I guess I should have added they've been "lucky" with injuries on useless washed up players on bad contracts as well. Robidas fell apart. Toronto was somehow able to force Lupul into "retirement". You can only dodge so many bullets.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
No overage, because they aren't using Horton on LTIR this year. Kessel's is included in Cap Friendly.
It doesn't appear on the page you posted.

But if you add up the numbers, it is included.

As to overage, theorically it's possible as they have a possibility of $5.4M in bonuses for players on the roster, with $4.32M of cap space.

But I agree that Oz/Lindholm are unlikely to get all or even any of their bonuses.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
1C) Tavares (11)
1RW) Marner (11)
1LW) Kappy (3)
2C) Matthews (11.6)
2RW) Nylander (6,962,366)
2LW) Johnsson (3)
3LW) Hyman (2.25)
3RW) Moore (775,000)
Total: 49,587,366

Expendable:
3LW) Marleau(6.25),
3C) Kadri (4.5)
4RW) Brown (2.1)

1LD) Rielly (5)
1RD) RHD (6)
2LD) Muzzin (4)
2RD) Dermott (863,333)
Total: 15.863333

Expendable:
3RD) Zaitsev (4.5)

1G) Andersen (5)
Total: 5

Grand Total: $71.650699 (+1.2 Kessel)

Almost 14million for: 3C, 4LW, 4C, 4RW, 5LD, 6RD, 2G

Leafs will need to add a few prospects/picks to get teams to take on Zaitsevs contract, SJ will probably take marleau back after the leafs pay his bonuses (replaces Thorntons salary) and Kadri + Brown become expendable if needed. Leafs have prospects who can fill out most those bottom pairings/lines already signed:

5LD) Rosen ($750,000)
4C) Goat ($675,000)
2G) Sparks ($700,000) or Hutchinson ($700,000) - Neither signed yet
Fill the rest with bargain basement UFAs desperate to feel the power that is the toronto maple leafs. :laugh:

Easy peasy.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
People should be more concerned with how the Jets are going to sign their RFAs: Trouba, Laine, and Connor.

Reactions: smitty10

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
for arguments sake, the scenario i'll lay out is if let's say that the Leafs win it all this year

that's a long season for Patty Marleau, keep in mind he is turning 40 this upcoming Sept, I know the guy is built out of iron but it's a lot of hard miles, his kids are of the age that he will want to be around them more.

the Leafs hand him a check for 3m on July 1 at which point they ask him what he thinks about another season with the possibility dependent on performance that his minutes could be reduced which he already knows

End of July, his hips and shoulders are still aching from the previous season and it impacts his ability to get into training camp shape, he thinks he can work through it but it's never been this difficult. He's got to be thinking do I start the season on LTIR, if I can perform well enough to even make the cut?

Mid August, working with the Leafs medical staff helps but he still has a lot of stiffness which greatly impacts his skating, which has always been his bread and butter

he could retire but that would leave the Leafs on the hook for the caphit, Marleau's a proud guy and he has everything out of hockey he dreamt about when he was a kid, his name on the cup and place in the HoF. So he starts quiet discussion's with his agent and Leafs management on possible retirement.

To facilitate an actual termination, Marleau would first have to agree to waive his NMC and accept being place on unconditional unrecallable waivers, if he doesn't get picked up which would be unlikely he can then agree to a termination which clears everything off the books.

the problem is of course, is that there's still some money on the table which may be too much to walk away from. The Leafs could ask if he want's a position as Marlies Ass't GM and player development coach with an idea of being promoted into the Leafs front office. It would be tempting for him for sure for sure

Unconditional waivers is somewhat complicated and I don't know the mechanics of it. Don't they buy him out, instead of just warehousing the contract?

This is also all presuming the Leafs win the cup this year, if they do not, it seems more likely he will play out his contract. They could try to Lupul him but I feel like he would have a really good case in arbitration. Keep in mind, his salary is dropping from 6 to 4.25m, so the LTIR thing isn't in the same ballpark as Hossa's where his salary dropped from 7.9m to 4m to 1m...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
People should be more concerned with how the Jets are going to sign their RFAs: Trouba, Laine, and Connor.

So far Chevy has done a great job with his contract signings, like Scheifele& Ehlers, can't say the same for Dubas.

1C) Tavares (11)
1RW) Marner (11)
1LW) Kappy (3)
2C) Matthews (11.6)
2RW) Nylander (6,962,366)
2LW) Johnsson (3)
3LW) Hyman (2.25)
3RW) Moore (775,000)
Total: 49,587,366

Expendable:
3LW) Marleau(6.25),
3C) Kadri (4.5)
4RW) Brown (2.1)

1LD) Rielly (5)
1RD) RHD (6)
2LD) Muzzin (4)
2RD) Dermott (863,333)
Total: 15.863333

Expendable:
3RD) Zaitsev (4.5)

1G) Andersen (5)
Total: 5

Grand Total: $71.650699 (+1.2 Kessel)

Almost 14million for: 3C, 4LW, 4C, 4RW, 5LD, 6RD, 2G

Leafs will need to add a few prospects/picks to get teams to take on Zaitsevs contract, SJ will probably take marleau back after the leafs pay his bonuses (replaces Thorntons salary) and Kadri + Brown become expendable if needed. Leafs have prospects who can fill out most those bottom pairings/lines already signed:

5LD) Rosen ($750,000)
4C) Goat ($675,000)
2G) Sparks ($700,000) or Hutchinson ($700,000) - Neither signed yet
Fill the rest with bargain basement UFAs desperate to feel the power that is the toronto maple leafs. :laugh:

Easy peasy.

Man losing lot of talent there.
Marleau to SJ is fantasy talk.

San Jose has bigger deals on their mind than Marleau and saving Toronto from cap hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad