Speculation: Toronto Cap Hell. 2019 Summer Fire Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Friedman/Johnston(Feb 2, 2019): $12 million x 6 years, $11 million x 5 years for Matthews.

OnFi46k.png

Matthews, Marner and Kapanen are going to command $28 million(±2). Assuming a $3.5 bump in cap, they still need to sign 7 players for $24,301.

Bob McKenzie: "$11 million for 5/6 years give or take a few hundred thousand or $13 million for 7/8 years."

There's a $3.8 million cushion Toronto can elect to absorb this season, if they decide to go all in and use that cap space then it is carried over to the 2019/20 season.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
they are probably going to pay someone to take zaitsev

kadri probably gets traded, might even be packaged with zaitsev for picks

also i think the matthews and marner numbers might be a bit too high

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
they are probably going to pay someone to take zaitsev

kadri probably gets traded, might even be packaged with zaitsev for picks

also i think the matthews and marner numbers might be a bit too high
Highly highly doubt Kadri goes anywhere....He is the kind of contract you keep. Brown is the player that needs to and will be traded, there is no way we can pay 2.1 for a 4th liner. Then it comes down to whether or not Dubas can figure something out with Zaitsev and Marleau.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Likely Matthews and Marner get 5-6 year deals at smaller cap hits, Kapanen gets a 1 year deal, and Brown is traded. It will be tight, but they should be fine just doing this.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Matthews gets less than Mcdavid and more than Eichel, 10.5- 11.5
Marner gets 8.5 - 9,5 depending on term, wingers get less than C's
Kappanen gets a bridge 4.75 - 5.5 or 5.5-6 long term

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Matthews and Marner will sign the same contracts. Hopefully the Leafs can get Matthews to sign for 10x6. If Kapanen signs a short deal it will be under 4.5 - perhaps 3 for 2 years. If they can sign Johnsson for 2x2 they might be ok.

But things rest on Matthews and Marner. Will Matthews be willing to sign for something like 10x6? If not do they try for a 2 or 3 year deal at say 8M per and go for broke during those two or three years. If Marner is not willing to accept the same contract Matthews signs (he won't be signing for less), do they let him sit like Nylander or take the picks if Marner signs an OS?

Yes, they might be able to move Marleau or Zaitsev, but neither will come cheap or free up a ton of money.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Highly highly doubt Kadri goes anywhere....He is the kind of contract you keep. Brown is the player that needs to and will be traded, there is no way we can pay 2.1 for a 4th liner. Then it comes down to whether or not Dubas can figure something out with Zaitsev and Marleau.

while i agree trading brown makes sense as he is a 4th liner, even if you were to trade him for picks you can only use that 2.1 million for roughly 3 minimum players (thats assuming you get the players at minimum)

kadri and zaistev makes more sense as it creates flexibility, especially because leafs will need a decent backup goalie so andersen doesnt get run into the ground

i do agree that trading marleau makes more sense, and in a perfect world him and zaistev get traded

from my understanding marleau has a full nmc and based off how he and the rest of the leafs talk i dont see him waiving to go anywhere, maybe back to san jose?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Please, these are going by Bob McKenzie's latest numbers.
Want to post somewhere that Bob said Marner would sign for 11? Add in the talk is Matthews is looking at a 5-6 year deal and this reeks of even more B.S. You have absolutely nothing to back this up lol. You just intentionally went as high as you possibly could on any extension to make this look as bleak as you possibly could. It is okay to admit it, I would atleast respect that more then trying to act like this is an unbiased take.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Wasn't the latest rumor the Matthews signs for 5-6 years and the contract is structured so that the Cap hit isn't so bad?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
What a unique thread idea!

Leafs can go over the cap by Horton's hit, so they have nearly $5.4m for the 7 players even if we take your... inflated... numbers for Matthews and Marner. They will also trade Brown for futures, bringing them up to $7.5m for 8 players.

If they trade Marleau, they are fine. If they dump Zaitsev they are fine. If they trade Kapanen for a defensemen they are fine. If they get Matthews and Marner at market rates instead of these fan-fiction numbers they are fine. Even if the Leafs do have to have a "fire sale" and trade Nylander for a 7th round pick they will still be Stanley Cup contenders next year.

Have a nice day.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
What a unique thread idea!

Leafs can go over the cap by Horton's hit, so they have nearly $5.4m for the 7 players even if we take your... inflated... numbers for Matthews and Marner. They will also trade Brown for futures, bringing them up to $7.5m for 8 players.

If they trade Marleau, they are fine. If they dump Zaitsev they are fine. If they trade Kapanen for a defensemen they are fine. If they get Matthews and Marner at market rates instead of these fan-fiction numbers they are fine. Even if the Leafs do have to have a "fire sale" and trade Nylander for a 7th round pick they will still be Stanley Cup contenders next year.

Have a nice day.

Horton is already on LTIR in my calculation.

Reactions: branch and golffuul

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
while i agree trading brown makes sense as he is a 4th liner, even if you were to trade him for picks you can only use that 2.1 million for roughly 3 minimum players (thats assuming you get the players at minimum)

kadri and zaistev makes more sense as it creates flexibility, especially because leafs will need a decent backup goalie so andersen doesnt get run into the ground

i do agree that trading marleau makes more sense, and in a perfect world him and zaistev get traded

from my understanding marleau has a full nmc and based off how he and the rest of the leafs talk i dont see him waiving to go anywhere, maybe back to san jose?
The Leafs recently signed Trevor Moore to near league min and he should be able to fill in reasonably well in a 4th line role based on his play this year. With the Leafs really only being super tight next year with the Marleau and Horton deals expiring after to me keeping a player like Kadri is key....because if you trade him in a year you are looking to replace him.

With Marleau the Leafs might have to get creative....after July 1 he is only owed just over a million on his deal. He could theoretically be Orpick'ed. Being the Leafs attach a pick to him to a rebuilding team...who buys him out and he then comes back to Toronto on a lower cap hit. It is obviously going to be tight next year but it should be manageable. Brown and Zaitsev have to go though.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Their is no way that Toronto will be able to resign , kap, mamer, Matthews and still put a team on the ice.

Nylander
Tavares
Kap
Matthews
Marmer
Just a simple basic calculation here
Close to 50 million easily in cap space tied up

Good luck with that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events