Speculation: Toronto Cap Hell. 2019 Summer Fire Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Only way Marleau comes off the books is with a cup and a retirement.

I think Kadri will be traded to make the necessary room for Marner.

Nylander stays for now.

Could see Kapanen or Johnsson holding out on low bridge deal offers and then eventually signing.

Marner is going to see at least an $11m offer sheet from a desirable destination. I have no doubt.

It will be quite interesting.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Nothing wrong with the Leafs D corps. They have excelled at keeping goals out of their own net and have been crucial to the Leafs success this year.

How can they be so successful when one of the worst players in the league plays so many minutes for them? Crazy isn’t it.
Because of their forwards and goaltending? Im not gonna go into the discussion about how good their bottom 4 defenders are but Leafs being top 10 in GA isnt because their d-core is one of the best in the NHL. Its because of their forward group being as good as they are, some good defensemen and Andersen. Give them an average goaltender and average forward group and they would be f***ed.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Johnsson2.25Matthews11.634Kapanen4
Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner9
Moore0.775Kadri4.5Nylander6.9
Lindholm0.75Gauthier0.675Brown2.1
Marchment0.768
Rielly5Zaitsev4.5
Muzzin4Liljegren0.895
Dermott0.864Ozhiganov1.5
Rosen0.75Holl0.675
Andersen5
Sparks0.9
Kessel1.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Send to SJ as a worse case scenario and retain half of Marleau's deal after July 1.
Kessel $1.2M brings that total t0 $83.086M.

When you retain, you retain both the cap hit and the actual salary.

So retaining 50% on marleau means $625K in salary but $3.125M in cap hit.

FriedmansBaldSpot

Dec 10, 2009
Matthews gets less than Mcdavid and more than Eichel, 10.5- 11.5
Marner gets 8.5 - 9,5 depending on term, wingers get less than C's
Kappanen gets a bridge 4.75 - 5.5 or 5.5-6 long term

Marner is not getting 8.5-9.5. His camp is confident he's worth every cent that Matthews is worth. He's not settling for a number as low as 8.5

Reactions: Katani Kalan

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Kessel $1.2M brings that total t0 $83.086M.

When you retain, you retain both the cap hit and the actual salary.

So retaining 50% on marleau means $625K in salary but $3.125M in cap hit.
81.9 including Kessel.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Nylander stays for now.

Could see Kapanen or Johnsson holding out on low bridge deal offers and then eventually signing.

Marner is going to see at least an $11m offer sheet from a desirable destination. I have no doubt.

If Kapanen isn't stupid, he's BANGING on his added value of this season... Risking going back to his 30pts self on a bridge contract would be COMPLETELY stupid for him

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If Kapanen isn't stupid, he's BANGING on his added value of this season... Risking going back to his 30pts self on a bridge contract would be COMPLETELY stupid for him

You think he's going to be dropped down to the 4th line for some reason? Especially if pretty much most of his winger competition other than Marner and Nylander have to be moved in a cap crunch?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Let's stay honest here.

The cap will go up ($3.5M ?).

Horton's LTIR ($5.3M).

So that's about $16.4M.

But Marner will get $10-11M of this.

Matthews gave them no "let's keep the team together" discount.

Tavares might have a few choice words for him.

Things will be very tight...

PS: I don't disagree with Matthews.
Horton LTIR doesn't kick in until the begining of the season, theys till have to be cap compliant on october 4th next year

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Nylander stays for now.

Marleau was over 35 when he signed his contract. If he retires, it doesn't come off the books.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You think he's going to be dropped down to the 4th line for some reason? Especially if pretty much most of his winger competition other than Marner and Nylander have to be moved in a cap crunch?

I,m saying he knows he's been riding someone else's production. Signing a bridge deal @ lets say 3M, when he could be asking for a 5 yeard deal @ 4ish at the moment would be stupid. Chances are he's not going to have another season like this one... He'll end up the season @ around 50ish points... He could ask for 4-4.5 on a 4-5 year deal if he wants. Singing a short term bridge may just hurt his value long term as he's no longer playing on the top line

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I thought you like to deal in small sample sizes and knee jerk reactions? So what's his value now a 6th round pick?

No he's always been a one dimensional top 6 winger who took after his dad.

I'm more than happy with the Leafs keeping him around rather than use the cap space to meaningfully strengthen the team

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Because of their forwards and goaltending? Im not gonna go into the discussion about how good their bottom 4 defenders are but Leafs being top 10 in GA isnt because their d-core is one of the best in the NHL. Its because of their forward group being as good as they are, some good defensemen and Andersen. Give them an average goaltender and average forward group and they would be ****ed.
Because of their forwards and goaltending? Im not gonna go into the discussion about how good their bottom 4 defenders are but Leafs being top 10 in GA isnt because their d-core is one of the best in the NHL. Its because of their forward group being as good as they are, some good defensemen and Andersen. Give them an average goaltender and average forward group and they would be ****ed.
So you think the Dman playing the third most minutes of the team doesn’t have much of an impact on how the team plays or what are you saying?

Their forwards and G are good but their are 2 defenceman on the ice at a time. Their D can’t possibly be as bad as people say or the team wouldn’t be as good as it is. Their cap troubles can be saved now, they can get AHL replacements for their bottom 4 since their forwards and goalie are so good.

“Instead of a great forward group and a great goalie, give them an average forward group and goalie and they wouldn’t be as good.” Wow hot take there, any more genius insight to share?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I,m saying he knows he's been riding someone else's production. Signing a bridge deal @ lets say 3M, when he could be asking for a 5 yeard deal @ 4ish at the moment would be stupid. Chances are he's not going to have another season like this one... He'll end up the season @ around 50ish points... He could ask for 4-4.5 on a 4-5 year deal if he wants. Singing a short term bridge may just hurt his value long term as he's no longer playing on the top line

Why is he not going to have another season like this one exactly? It's not like he's tapping in Matthews/Tavares rebounds, he generates most of his own chances with his speed. He's easily got the skillset that you expect from a 50+ point player.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Just saw that you did include Kessel.

My apologies.

But what about Marleau ?
Johnsson2.25Matthews11.634Kapanen4
Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner9
Moore0.775Kadri4.5Nylander6.9
Lindholm0.75Gauthier0.675Brown2.1
Marchment0.768
Rielly5Zaitsev4.5
Muzzin4Liljegren0.895
Dermott0.864Ozhiganov1.5
Rosen0.75Holl0.675
Andersen5
Sparks0.9
Kessel1.2
Marleau3.13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Fine, get back to me next season when it is then. What don't you think will be done? The Leafs have to be under the cap. They aren't trading the big 4. Maybe Kapanen goes, maybe.
Didn't I write that there is nothing wrong about being optimistic, even if overly so ?

Why are you arguing against shadows ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad