Proposal: Toronto Calgary (Not for a Dman)

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
so you dont know the difference between cant make and being intentionally kept down for de velopment/ so the leafs could tank eh?

willy came up and had 13pts in 22 games (48pt-82 game pace)
the leafs leading scorer had 45 pts...so yeah not only could he have easily made the team, he would have been one of their top 3 players.

come back to us when tkachuk hits 50pts. until he does he isnt in the convo with a guy with back to back 60+

Good lord. Not only do you use 22 games for Nylander and project that to a full season (which you should not be doing) you then fail to do it for every other player.

Nylander 13 in 22 - .590 PPG
Bozak - 35 in 57 - .61 PPG
JVR - 29 in 40 - .72 PPG
Kadri - 45 in 76 - .592 PPG

And because projecting for a whole season is so much fun
Connor Brown - 6 in 7 - .857 PPG (wow!)

You then go on to shit on Tkachuk because he had 49 points in 68 games in his D+2 and isn't a "50 point player", which if you project for the rest of the season (which, as you've shown, is how it should be done) is, wait for it, 59 points. You then compare him to a guy who in his D+2 had zero 60 point NHL seasons

I personally prefer Nylander because I think his talent level is higher, but some of the hot takes in this thread, damn.:eek:

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Is this based on points or those teams feasting on the 4 terrible ones?

Central with NSH and WPG finishing 1 & 2 overall. The worst team in the division was CHC ( 2010, 2013 & 2015 Cups) or 3X Champions this decade.

Pacific with LAK (2012 & 2014) or 2X Champions this decade.

The path to a championship and scoring is much more difficult in the West.
Just going to go on Leafs Head-to-head stats, I don't care much about Tampa and Boston
VS. BOS - 8/8 pts (dominated but we all saw the playoffs)
VS. BUF - 4/8 pts
VS. DET - 6/8
VS. FLA - 6/8
VS. OTT - 4/8
VS. MON - 8/8
VS. TBL - 3/8
We played worse against easier teams. Except montreal, this was overdue.
That’s fair. Everyone tends to be biased with their players. But some of the comments made about Gaudreau were horrible.
You have the same reason as I do for laughing about Rielly's improvement all the way to the bank

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
simple trade on the premise Nylander wants out of Toronto for whatever reason

Nylander for Tkachuk

Calgary gets more skill into their forward group while Toronto brings in some needed grit into their top 6

edit: removed 2nd
Don't think Calgary touches this,.
Leafs would do it though, IMO.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That's nice pal but how about some proof? as stated Nylander couldn't even make a bad Toronto team at 19-20 while put up 97 NHL points at the same age, and can I mention at the same age he made players such as Doughty and Kesler is b!tch.

Nylander is a dime a dozen slick softy while Tkachuk is a rare combination of almost everything.
I take Tkachuk myself, but the bolded is a stupid point.
There was no value on burning a year of his ELC, Nyalnder could easily have made that team.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I take Tkachuk myself, but the bolded is a stupid point.
There was no value on burning a year of his ELC, Nyalnder could easily have made that team.
He also got concussed that preseason. Why would anyone want either Marner or Nylander on that team anyways though it made us get Matthews.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Nylander is a better skater
Nylander is a better stickhandler
Nylander has higher hockey IQ
Nylander is a better point producer
Nylander is a better CF% Rel player

Do you know what better means? What Nylander is better at, is FAR more important than what Tkachuk is better at.

Yeah who wants a guy who's better defensively, more physical and has better possession numbers when you could have the better stickhandler, the guy who is a better CF% Rel player, and of course, the very tangible guy with the "higher hockey IQ."

You really do know the stuff that is FAR more important.

Did you ever nail this post. Well played.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'm a Leaf fan.
The only ones I've seen vehemently against it are the ones typically looking for reactions.
Others may be against it for various reasons. Two vastly different players but the value of each is pretty close.
I think the value is close but that Calgary has no incentive to do it.

Reactions: ACC1224

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yeah who wants a guy who's better defensively, more physical and has better possession numbers when you could have the better stickhandler, the guy who is a better CF% Rel player, and of course, the very tangible guy with the "higher hockey IQ."

this is a great argument for taking Shea Weber over Erik Karlsson. also it's kind of funny that you don't realize cf% rel is a possession number

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga

Did you stop to think at any point "Well Maybe Matthews wants to play with an elite skilled winger instead of a player that is more of an all-around force?" Possession has to be one of the dumbest measurements we now use to judge players. It's awesome that Tkachuk had the puck more at ES but if you look into it at all then Nylander had more ES points than him. And that's 20 or so games without the ES scoring god in Matthews. If you want to look that up, check the ES TOI while you are there.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
this is a great argument for taking Shea Weber over Erik Karlsson. also it's kind of funny that you don't realize cf% rel is a possession number

I'm fully aware of what it is. I'm re-posting what HolyMackinaw (erroneously) stated.

Did you stop to think at any point "Well Maybe Matthews wants to play with an elite skilled winger instead of a player that is more of an all-around force?"

Did you stop to think at any point that you are completely fabricating what Matthews wants out of thin air?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Walk with Elias

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Tkachuk is just too valuable for Calgary. The guy does it all - agitates, plays a physical game, plays a very strong possession game and scores points. Nylander is likely a more gifted pure point-getter but the Flames need what Tkachuk brings more. Nylander being a C also does nothing for the Flames, who already have way too many potential Cs.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Did you stop to think at any point that you are completely fabricating what Matthews wants out of thin air?
I'd argue his 59 ES goals in 144 games makes it an accurate guess. Also since when did Matthews say that he'd rather play with Tkachuk than Nylander or are you fabricating what he wants out of thin air?

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Why would Calgary trade Tkachuk for a soft one dimensional winger? SMH

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Ooof, awful for the Flames.

Any leaf fan who thinks Nylander is better than Tkachuk needs to give their head a shake. Awful opinion.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
I'll catch you guys in the next couple days after a Leafs fan makes a Tkachuk vs Nylander thread in the polls forum. My facts are back on page 2.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
come back to us when tkachuk hits 50pts. until he does he isnt in the convo with a guy with back to back 60+
So if we tell leaf fans that gaudreau is wayyy better than that center of yours that has never hit 70pts you very much agree right? It seems ppg and age only comes up when it favors the leafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad