OT: Toronto Blue Jays v3.0: MLB Free Agency

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Would you rather have Happ and Estrada at 25?

or Price at 25? that's the way I look at it.

Brutal.

If Price came back the Jays probably had the best roster in the MLB.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Brutal.

Price will probably get NORTH of 7 years/215 million.
30+ Million/year, for 7 years.

Toronto gave themselves flexibility moving forward; I honestly don't think they're quite done yet... I like what Price did for Toronto; but man, that's some major bucks to delve out over a long period of time. Starting pitchers cost a fortune; but what if he falls off like Verlander? You want to pay 30 million a year to a guy that'll be a .500 pitcher?

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

Brutal.

Still some good pitching options out there that could push the rotation down. I doubt we throw big money/term at an ace, but I wouldn't be shocked to see us hand out a decent contract to a really good #2/3.

Yovani Gallardo would be my choice.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Still some good pitching options out there that could push the rotation down. I doubt we throw big money/term at an ace, but I wouldn't be shocked to see us hand out a decent contract to a really good #2/3.

Yovani Gallardo would be my choice.
If we can't get Price, I'd go after Chen or Kazmir personally. I like the idea of having a couple lefties in the rotation.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'm overreacting but if they don't bring another pitcher in I'm going to lose my ****.

I get that it gives them flexibility moving forward. But this team has a three year window. The first time they've had a window any time in the last two decades. They should have went all in on Price. It would have been a wise investment.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm overreacting but if they don't bring another pitcher in I'm going to lose my ****.

I get that it gives them flexibility moving forward. But this team has a three year window. The first time they've had a window any time in the last two decades. They should have went all in on Price. It would have been a wise investment.

The team still has some ridiculous power bats, you have to factor in they'll have Tulo on the full-season, the outfield will be great again; the pitching won't kill them. I don't think Price is the difference between them being a playoff team and not.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Everyone is talking like the Jays aren't willing to open the purse strings, but the rumors are the opposite, the Cubs apparently backed out because of the money but the Jays were still in it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There are rumors that Reds LH closer Aroldis Chapman is available. I like Osuna but getting Chapman would be incredible.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Anthopolous emptied out the Triple A pitching depth for his all in one shot slam bam thank you maam.

So Shapiro needs to build rotation depth in case of injuries as there's very little depth. So that's why Chavez and Happ are key moves.

Shapiro has a budget to work with and most of it's already been used up in the high ranking offence. People seem to think the Jays are just going to go out and commit $200 million to Price or Greinke.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Jordan Zimmermann;
110 Million/5 seasons to play for the Tigers. One of the better pitching options out there, signed for 22 million a season.

Starting pitching costs a fortune. I honestly don't like NL pitchers coming to the AL all that much either.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Jordan Zimmermann;
110 Million/5 seasons to play for the Tigers. One of the better pitching options out there, signed for 22 million a season.

Starting pitching costs a fortune. I honestly don't like NL pitchers coming to the AL all that much either.

I wouldn't have minded Zimmerman under contract for only 5yrs. Still hoping we add a #1 or 2.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah we really need a 1 or 2.
Stroman ______ Estrada Dickey Happ

Chavez the long guy/ 6

Hutch is depth.

Loup, Cecil, Sanchez, Osuna.

We could probably use another reliever as well.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
I wouldn't be opposed to trading Dickey for a Bullpen arm and use some of the savings to get a longer term pitcher. Whether it's a guy like Price, someone like Iwakuma or something similar, why not try to get another decent arm.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Price signed with Boston. 7 years/217 million. I loved Price, but $31 million a year is ridiculous.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Jays didn't even offer any of the top 3 pitchers a contract. That seems pretty poor on their part. Who knows what Price would have been willing to take to stay.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jays didn't even offer any of the top 3 pitchers a contract. That seems pretty poor on their part. Who knows what Price would have been willing to take to stay.
Not offering a contract does not mean they weren't in negotiations. If they were told it would take $__ over __ years and it was too rich for their blood, it doesn't mean they didn't do their due diligence.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This just came to me. What do you think of the budget the Jays got after playoffs? A lot of people were upset from what I read.
I haven't seen or read anything about the budget, but I have read that the Jays may be building a Royals-esque rotation with no true ace but lots of balance.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
From the sounds of it they didnt even do that.
not the impression I've gotten, it sounded like to me they had been in contact with Price. But Boston was willing to make him the highest paid pitcher in MLB history.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00