OT: Toronto Blue Jays v3.0: MLB Free Agency

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Greinke signs 6yrs with the Diamondbacks.

Edit: 206 million

Last edited:

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Chapman traded to Dodgers.

Royals sign Chris Young

Lowe signs with Tigers.

Also, Price's agent said that the he would have re-upped with us had we actually put out an offer. One of his top choices according to his agent.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't know how I feel about Shapiro. Like I think he'll be good long term, but he's the opposite of Alex and also not someone who's a "win now" type.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I don't know how I feel about Shapiro. Like I think he'll be good long term, but he's the opposite of Alex and also not someone who's a "win now" type.

Sounds like the budget is tight and it was either go for a Price level free agent and nothing else or fill other holes. And Shapiro decided to fill the other holes. I find it hard to fault him there because having Price would be great but without Estrade, Happ and Chavez would we really be in a better position? I don't think so.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Sounds like the budget is tight and it was either go for a Price level free agent and nothing else or fill other holes. And Shapiro decided to fill the other holes. I find it hard to fault him there because having Price would be great but without Estrade, Happ and Chavez would we really be in a better position? I don't think so.

Yeah I agree, but I question if bringing in Chavez was the right move? For me ideally, I resign Estrada, qualify Dickey, sign Happ, deal Hutch and then resign Price.

Definitely aren't bad moves that were made, but totally way more conservative. It's just going to be a different team, I could see him doing something like trading Tulo for more pitching depth which would piss me off.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Yeah I agree, but I question if bringing in Chavez was the right move? For me ideally, I resign Estrada, qualify Dickey, sign Happ, deal Hutch and then resign Price.

Definitely aren't bad moves that were made, but totally way more conservative. It's just going to be a different team, I could see him doing something like trading Tulo for more pitching depth which would piss me off.

Except not acquiring Chavez and dealing Hutch doesn't free up even half the money needed to sign Price. We're probably talking 5-7 million between Chavez and Hutchison. Price would have cost 25+ million which would mean so t would cost us both Estrada and Happ as well. I'd blame Rogers before Shapiro, because they didn't loosen the purse strings at all.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Apparently we hired the official GM on Friday to no fanfare. The Jays brought in Ross Atkins from the Indians.

http://m.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article/158756906/ross-atkins-named-blue-jays-general-manager
Atkins arrives in Toronto after spending the last 15 years with the Indians' organization. He previously was the Indians' director of Latin American operations from 2004-06, and he ran the club's farm system from '07-14. Most recently, Atkins was Cleveland's president of player personnel.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Chapman traded to Dodgers.

Royals sign Chris Young

Lowe signs with Tigers.

Also, Price's agent said that the he would have re-upped with us had we actually put out an offer. One of his top choices according to his agent.

the management likely wasnt going to meet his demands so they said f*** it. Shame because Price probably would've signed for a little less if the Jays were his top choice

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Pretty much, we have no one to blame but Rogers IMO.

I agree Rogers has definitely Shapiro's hands tied, but Anthopolous was going to make an offer. So that tells me it was doable under some sort of structure. What I laid out above may not of given them enough space though?

I just hope they get both Edwin and Jose done.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I agree Rogers has definitely Shapiro's hands tied, but Anthopolous was going to make an offer. So that tells me it was doable under some sort of structure. What I laid out above may not of given them enough space though?

Im pretty sure Price at least told the Jays that he wanted to come back. My gut tells me that with the way they handled the Price situation, that one of Edwin or Jose is probably gone. Im guessing Edwin leaves with a possibility they both get low balled and walk. Kinda sucks how Rogers and upper management are handling things because I was getting interested in baseball again. And a big part of that had to do with them getting Price, he was such a character to watch even when he wasnt pitching.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room

From what I have heard in interviews and read it came down to $30-ish million for the rotation, so basically either Price/Hendricks or Estrada/Happ/Chavez

It sounds like AA would have gone with a top heavy rotation. It would have probably been Price, Stroman, Dickey, Hutchison & one of Sanchez/Hendricks/reclamation project. Shapiro went the other route and now the rotation looks to be Stroman, Estrada, Dickey, Happ and Chavez/Hutchison/Sanchez.

Call me crazy but I prefer the depth in the rotation.

Also if AA made an offer and say it was 25 million per, Price likely wouldn't have accepted and then we would potentially be without all of Price, Estrada & Happ

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
This off-season has been a sick joke all around.

Oh here's a team that made the playoffs for the first team in 25 years, they have a window to be a legit champion the next 2-3 years. Lets put 25 into Estrada and Happ (two journeymen/ #5 starters before last year) and let's not give it to David Price, who clearly would have signed for significantly cheaper than what Boston paid.

Roger's wants to go back to being a middling team like they were the past 20 years. They aren't willing to put the money in. And it will actually likely cost them hundred of millions in playoff revenues. Think of how big the Blue Jays brand could be if they produced a legit contender... It's just bad business. That's what really pisses me off about it.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Also if AA made an offer and say it was 25 million per, Price likely wouldn't have accepted and then we would potentially be without all of Price, Estrada & Happ

What if Price would have signed for lower? Thats the crummy part in all this. Because the Jays didnt even make an effort we will never know what Price would have been willing to do.

May 27, 2012
Earth
This off-season has been a sick joke all around.

Oh here's a team that made the playoffs for the first team in 25 years, they have a window to be a legit champion the next 2-3 years. Lets put 25 into Estrada and Happ (two journeymen/ #5 starters before last year) and let's not give it to David Price, who clearly would have signed for significantly cheaper than what Boston paid.

Roger's wants to go back to being a middling team like they were the past 20 years. They aren't willing to put the money in. And it will actually likely cost them hundred of millions in playoff revenues. Think of how big the Blue Jays brand could be if they produced a legit contender... It's just bad business. That's what really pisses me off about it.

I don't know. 187M CAD(140M USD) is a lot of cash.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
What if Price would have signed for lower? Thats the crummy part in all this. Because the Jays didnt even make an effort we will never know what Price would have been willing to do.
Even then, we'd have a terrible 4/5 in the rotation. We're acting like we don't have an ace without Price, but I think we have one in Stroman. I believe a more balanced rotation that's deeper is more vital than having 2 aces.

And I already addressed what it would be like if Price did accept

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I think it's a pretty tell tale sign that A) Shapiro couldn't even put in an offer, and B) that Edwin set a deadline before the start of training camp, that Rogers doesn't care.

They said, if more fans come, more revenue, we'll open up the wallets. They did, for 1. freaking. year. 1. why do we need to have a 'budget' in the 1st place when Rogers is so stupidly wealthy?? we could have had Price, Estrada, and Happ, but Rogers wasn't willing to open up their pockets. It legitimately makes 0 sense, especially with how the season went with attendance and the playoffs and how crazy hyped the COUNTRY was for the Jays the last few months of the season.

It just angers me as a fan, that pays to go to Jays games, went to 2 this year, that they when push comes to shove to build a REAL contender, they aren't willing to pony up.

/rant

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
The Jays have re-signed Josh Thole and Darwin Barney. Thole will probably be the full-time backup to Martin, Barney will likely backup Goins until Travis returns.

The Jays also claimed pitcher Joe Biagini from the Giants in the Rule 5 draft. He's a 6'4 right hander, he was a starter in AA Richmond but will probably be in the bullpen. He throws 91-94 with a max of 96 as a starter. Perhaps out of the bullpen he can add a few MPH like Hendricks did?

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
But Rogers puts in 5 billion dollars to make a terrible hockey product... so what's wrong with paying a twenty-fifth of that towards a great pitcher?
that is terribly flawed logic. that would be like saying they spend "x" on cell towers, why don't they pay Price what he wants? The Blue Jays are an independent business, like any other business they have a budget based on projected revenue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->