OT: Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Talk

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I wonder if Bird would have the opportunity to be an every day player with the Jays with Vladdy?
I doubt it, but they've been talking a lot about needing some left-handed power either off the bench or to give Vladdy days off at first.

Kirk presumably will be DHing quite a bit, but when he catches that's an opportunity to put Vladdy on DH and get Bird in at 1B.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not going to lie, turned this one off after the 2nd inning. Looks like I missed a crazy game. Thought the offense would make it interesting in the end, never expected them to pull out a win.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
2-0 to start the season. Boys are dialed.

Also, Springer balding saddens me

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
BUMP.

The Blue Jays have qualified for the 2023 postseason and will play the Tampa Bay Rays in the best-of-3 Wildcard round. All games will be in the Trop. Winner moves on to play the Orioles in the ALDS.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
BUMP.

The Blue Jays have qualified for the 2023 postseason and will play the Tampa Bay Rays in the best-of-3 Wildcard round. All games will be in the Trop. Winner moves on to play the Orioles in the ALDS.

It's Saturday, not Sunday! If the Jays lose tomorrow and the Astros win, the Jays will be playing in Minnesota for the Wildcard round (which IMO would be a far better outcome).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's Saturday, not Sunday! If the Jays lose tomorrow and the Astros win, the Jays will be playing in Minnesota for the Wildcard round (which IMO would be a far better outcome).
Yeh, I f***ed up... in the excitement I forgot we lost

I also disagree about the Twins. They have better pitching that the Rays right now. But honestly, I really don't care, neither team will be easy.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeh, I f***ed up... in the excitement I forgot we lost

I also disagree about the Twins. They have better pitching that the Rays right now. But honestly, I really don't care, neither team will be easy.
Either way I'm interested to see what kind of lineup they put on the field today. Have to think Gausman gets held back, right?

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Either way I'm interested to see what kind of lineup they put on the field today. Have to think Gausman gets held back, right?
Yeah Gausman is set for game 1 on Tuesday, I would put money down on every starter getting the day off except maybe for Belt. Same thing for TB. It’s going to be a game of the benches. I’d expect our big bullpen guys to also get the day off.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
These guys were never a contender. Fringe playoff team. Just not good at clutch or situational hitting. Just frustrating. Reminds me of Flames offence last year. Peas in a pod.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Idiotic move to pull Berrios with how good he was pitching. Sadly it made no difference because the offense couldnt do anything.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Well I’m a Flames fan, so I’m used to absolute disgusting no shows in the playoffs.

This season actually felt like I was watching the Flames 2022/23 season in baseball form. Shots on net/Runners on base.. nothing to show for it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Idiotic move to pull Berrios with how good he was pitching. Sadly it made no difference because the offense couldnt do anything.
It was one of those moves that I hated but understood, it was completely analytics driven.

Hopefully this off-season we can grab a good hitter and Vladdy can fix whatever is wrong with him (I think he has a wrist injury, or an ongoing knee issue)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I was telling someone recently that this Jays season was very similar to the Flames season that we just experienced. Just spending an entire season thinking that, at some point, heads will be removed from rectums and players will play like they can. And it just never quite happens.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was telling someone recently that this Jays season was very similar to the Flames season that we just experienced. Just spending an entire season thinking that, at some point, heads will be removed from rectums and players will play like they can. And it just never quite happens.
I don't see the correlation beside inflated expectations and fans blaming coaching and management.

The Flames were actually bad, and Sutter clearly lost the room. The Jays were actually good, they played great defense and had some of the best pitching in the majors and Schneider is being scapegoated for following analytics that many teams use now. Their offense let them down in large part because 2 of their youngest players had down years.

Perhaps they went in too hard on improved defense and pitching, but I find that hard to say when Nimmo was their CF target, and KK their backup choice.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Their pitching and defense had a good year

They have 2 good bats out of the whole line up and Vlad struggled big time this year

Other than those 2 , I do not see any potential turn around on offense. Springer relied on cheating to be good and he is over the hill. Kirk should have been traded instead of Moreno. Chapman is trash on offense. Rest are mediocre filler

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't see the correlation beside inflated expectations and fans blaming coaching and management.

The Flames were actually bad, and Sutter clearly lost the room. The Jays were actually good, they played great defense and had some of the best pitching in the majors and Schneider is being scapegoated for following analytics that many teams use now. Their offense let them down in large part because 2 of their youngest players had down years.

Perhaps they went in too hard on improved defense and pitching, but I find that hard to say when Nimmo was their CF target, and KK their backup choice.
The Jays pitching was definitely good this year. The defence also was a big improvement.

The offensive tumble was so significant that it almost took the team entirely out of the playoffs.

The biggest frustration is that the roster coming into the season should not have struggled so mightily on offence. The team had the parts to generate runs, but even with high averages they couldn't generate runs. And if at any point they had started generating runs consistently they could have gone on a big run.

Similarly, the Flames should not have struggled so mightily on defence and been so easy to score on. They were dominant in possession and didn't spend much time on defence. If they could have knuckled down and stopped giving up odd-man rushes constantly they could have gone on a big run.

So that's the similarity for me. Could have and should have. And didn't.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Conflicting rumors right now regarding Ohtani and the Jays.

An LA reporter w/ the BBWAA (Baseball writers association of America) has said that Ohtani 's decision is in and he's chose the Blue Jays

Ben Nicholson-Smith a Blue Jays beat writer is saying no decision has been made. An ESPN guy has said the same.

Ohtani wants a shroud of secrecy around his free agency, and it's been rumored that leaks will hurt teams chances. If LA is out, they have no reason not to leak it anymore, to prep their fans for the announcement. But BNS works for Rogers, so he could very easily just be denying it because Rogers doesn't want leaks.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
tumblr_pjchcw7xhH1qb77hzo3_540.gif

could this really be happening?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: