Post-Game Talk: Toronto at Ottawa, April 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Both points you've made are subjective.

Now, for an objective statement; Kessel, Lupul, Kadri and JVR all have a higher PPG and production rate under Carlyle than they've ever had in their career's at the NHL level.

There are a lot of teams that do well when a new coach is brought in. How long do you expect this honeymoon phase of being consistently outshot and winning to continue?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
There are a lot of teams that do well when a new coach is brought in. How long do you expect this honeymoon phase of being consistently outshot and winning to continue?

This 'outshot' nonsense is beyond trivial at this point. Look at the shots the Leafs give up, they are easy shots. The shot totals are very misleading, do you honestly believe the Sens had a great deal of better scoring chances than the Leafs last night?

The Leafs have been outshot many times this season, but very rarely out-chanced in legit scoring chances.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
. How long do you expect this honeymoon phase of being consistently outshot and winning to continue?
I think making the playoffs is a great achievement for the Leafs because they really are a rebuilding team, with a lot of money, but still a rebuilding team. A lot of their key players are young and some up coming like Gardiner (needs a good offseason) and Reilly.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Even when the Leafs are stinking up the league, they always seem to be able to blow us out.

It really sucks :(

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I think making the playoffs is a great achievement for the Leafs because they really are a rebuilding team, with a lot of money, but still a rebuilding team. A lot of their key players are young and some up coming like Gardiner (needs a good offseason) and Reilly.

Both organizations have a lot of depth in their systems moving forward. I just get annoyed how people disregard the Leafs young talent in all honesty. Aside from the young guys on the Big club, the Marlies currently has Rielly, Colborne, Biggs, Ashton, Percy, Blacker, Ross, Leivo, Broll etc. Potentially very capable NHL players.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
This 'outshot' nonsense is beyond trivial at this point. Look at the shots the Leafs give up, they are easy shots. The shot totals are very misleading, do you honestly believe the Sens had a great deal of better scoring chances than the Leafs last night?

The Leafs have been outshot many times this season, but very rarely out-chanced in legit scoring chances.

What I saw was Ottawa controlling the game, with a lack of finish and allowing Toronto to hang around. Toronto plays extremely hard, back checks hard and are great at clearing the front of the net from all the rebounds Reimer can't handle. Keep in mind Ottawa is missing their two best players as well.

Toronto has been rebuilding for a decade. Making the playoffs is a huge achievement for them I guess (even tho 16 of 30 make it every year)

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Both organizations have a lot of depth in their systems moving forward. I just get annoyed how people disregard the Leafs young talent in all honesty. Aside from the young guys on the Big club, the Marlies currently has Rielly, Colborne, Biggs, Ashton, Percy, Blacker, Ross, Leivo, Broll etc. Potentially very capable NHL players.

Reilly is a blue chipper, but the rest are avg. prospects at best. Every organization has average prospects.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
What I saw was Ottawa controlling the game, with a lack of finish and allowing Toronto to hang around. Toronto plays extremely hard, back checks hard and are great at clearing the front of the net from all the rebounds Reimer can't handle. Keep in mind Ottawa is missing their two best players as well.

What i saw was more like toronto not giving ottawa any good chances and then scoring whenever they needed to or had the chance. They made ottawa look dumb imo. and that's not easy for me to say. we have a ways to go. spezza and karlsson would have helped obviously, but....we have a ways to go.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Reilly is a blue chipper, but the rest are avg. prospects at best. Every organization has average prospects.
That's all they really need though now. The biggest problems they had was a lack of a #1C and #1 goalie. Now they have Reimer, and Kadri is their young potential decent #1C. They have a few excellent wingers already.

Luckily Kadri's ELC contract actually ends this year I think so he'll cost at least more than what they gave Luke Schenn. Subban will get paid too.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Toronto has been rebuilding for a decade. Making the playoffs is a huge achievement for them I guess (even tho 16 of 30 make it every year)

Unfortunately, that's not the case. Toronto was foolishly trying to make the playoffs late in seasons at the beginning of the lockout, finishing 9th twice and 12th once. They traded a ton of assets and draft picks in those times because they were still living in the past.

Toronto started their rebuild in 2008, with the cupboards as bare as they were I'm not surprised it took so long. They should have made it last year, but that young team collapsed under the pressure, hopefully for their sake they are better because of it moving forward.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
What i saw was more like toronto not giving ottawa any good chances and then scoring whenever they needed to or had the chance. They made ottawa look dumb imo. and that's not easy for me to say. we have a ways to go. spezza and karlsson would have helped obviously, but....we have a ways to go.

Outshot them 50-22, with no Karlsson or Spezza, and 8 rookies in the lineup. Andy obviously had one of worst of the year. I think you're being a little pessimistic.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Outshot them 50-22, with no Karlsson or Spezza, and 8 rookies in the lineup. Andy obviously had one of worst of the year. I think you're being a little pessimistic.

i don't think i'm being pessimistic. i've just watched every toronto ottawa game this yr. Toronto is a better team than ottawa right now. We have a ways to go. nothing wrong with that. We will be very very good very very soon.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
That's all they really need though now. The biggest problems they had was a lack of a #1C and #1 goalie. Now they have Reimer, and Kadri is their young potential decent #1C. They have a few excellent wingers already.

Luckily Kadri's ELC contract actually ends this year I think so he'll cost at least more than what they gave Luke Schenn. Subban will get paid too.

I completely agree, I just don't see how Toronto, while already spending to the cap, is supposed to move from what they are now, to challenging for the cup. This is the core that they"ll be going with for the foreseeable future

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
i don't think i'm being pessimistic. i've just watched every toronto ottawa game this yr. Toronto is a better team than ottawa right now. We have a ways to go. nothing wrong with that. We will be very very good very very soon.

They definitely have our number, but again, we're missing our no. 1 center and the best defenseman in the league and have a ton of first and second year players eating up big minutes. Its going to take some patience. The goal is to win a cup.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
They definitely have our number, but again, we're missing our no. 1 center and the best defenseman in the league and have a ton of first and second year players eating up big minutes. Its going to take some patience. The goal is to win a cup.

It's more Karlsson than Spezza against the Leafs. Since Heatley's departure, Spezza's stats are pretty poor against the Leafs.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
It's more Karlsson than Spezza against the Leafs. Since Heatley's departure, Spezza's stats are pretty poor against the Leafs.

Spezza needs help up front def. To easy to key in on one guy for opposing teams, kinda like how Lupul and Kadri to a lesser extent are opening it up for Kessel

Milan the God*

You can say that by just looking at points.

But it also opens up a lot more offensively. Suddenly, Turris and Alfredsson aren't drawing top lines. He's a focus point on shutting down our offensive which allows other lines to step up against weaker competition.

GreekLeafer

Dec 6, 2010
Ottawa
Realizing that this is as good as their team has been in a decade and the future doesn't seem any brighter... Priceless

Enjoy the Carlyle effect while it lasts. I doubt the Lupuls, Kadris, and Kessels will want to play this type of system year after year.

Leafs fan coming in peace. You just named 3 guys having career point scoring paces. Lupul has 10 goals in his last 11. Kessel is 7th in scoring. Kadri would have probably run away with the Calder if he was eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad