Post-Game Talk: Toronto 2 Devils 1 - The I hate the SO edition

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I'm more upset that Tedenby didn't get ANY ice time in the OT. Yup, lets bench the fastest player on the roster for a 5 minute session of 4 on 4 hockey with all kinds of open ice. Makes sense.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
That's the point. They aren't gonna find any good players.

I think it's time to try something new. Tweak this system a little bit and try to find other ways to score. I'm okay with keeping Pete if he'll try that. This one isn't getting results. Just try something new. What have we got to lose at this point?

The system is fine....do you think the Devils can play like the leafs did tonight? What other system is out there that will generate shots. They need shots because this team is devoid of skill and talent.

Patrick Kane players are gotten through the draft......that's the point.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Thought Larsson was really good tonight. He was actually physical which is rare. Hope he can keep it up.

Larsson played like a man tonight. Honestly the whole defense played really well. They were in position for the most part, moving. They were sweeping all the garbage out of Cory's crease.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Kovalchuk is even a bigger MVP of the 11-12 season in my mind seeing how bad this team is at shootouts without him and Parise.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it's time to admit that Zajac just isn't good at offense anymore. He's by no means a useless player, but we aren't gonna get much offense out of him. So from now on when people get on him for his contract, I think it's pretty justified IMO.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Thought Larsson was really good tonight. He was actually physical which is rare. Hope he can keep it up.

I totally agree. My mentality is totally changing when I see him on the ice. I'm no longer anxious. Im very happy for Adam, who has certainly had his ups and downs.

I think the only D concern I was having is Greene getting walked a couple times and the coverage on Kessel's goal. Still, Kessel is a pretty special hobbit.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm more upset that Tedenby didn't get ANY ice time in the OT. Yup, lets bench the fastest player on the roster for a 5 minute session of 4 on 4 hockey with all kinds of open ice. Makes sense.

I mean even if he's bad defensively (and I don't remember him making many mistakes this year) it's not as if you're protecting a lead. Protecting a tie might as well be saying let's just lose a SO. Plus if Tedenby's speed EVER is going to have an impact it'll be 4-on-4, but no let's run the slowpokes out there and crawl to the shootout where we'll die anyway :shakehead

**** they should have given him a chance in the shootout, at least maybe he can have some creativity and maybe dangle past Bernier.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Did he even play in the third? It seems his ice time just got chopped and I didn't see anything that he did to deserve it.

na Pete needs to play Carter and Gionta more than our 2008 first round pick who can actually create chances.

Gionta played the Kessel goal so bad it's not even funny. But yes let's dress him over Josefson.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The system is fine....do you think the Devils can play like the leafs did tonight? What other system is out there that will generate shots. They need shots because this team is devoid of skill and talent.

Patrick Kane players are gotten through the draft......that's the point.

I'm not sure yet what system will work. I would hope the coaches or Lou would have a better idea than me. I think we need to find a way to get some more quality chances. Even if it means many 2-1 nailbiter wins, and less shots on goal.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Good? He took a double minor 100 feet from his net.

Yes. Very good. Sure he took a penalty. Just like Gionta does on a regular basis. One gets pass after pass for mistakes and one gets benched for a single one.

But thats not the point. Im willing to forgive the mistake for how well he played otherwise.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Yup.

This is when Deboer is at his worst; when he has to think.

Same as the gimmick. Tedenby and Loki are probably two of the teams' best options but he never uses them. Zids and Harrold are good 1x0 too, but they're defensemen, so the thought doesnt even enter his Jurassic mind.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mean even if he's bad defensively (and I don't remember him making many mistakes this year) it's not as if you're protecting a lead. Protecting a tie might as well be saying let's just lose a SO. Plus if Tedenby's speed EVER is going to have an impact it'll be 4-on-4, but no let's run the slowpokes out there and crawl to the shootout where we'll die anyway :shakehead

Pete doesn't like Tedy, he never really has. Same with Fayne I think. I don't get it with Fayne, I've understood it with Tedy, but he has played hard and looked good the past two nights.

Kid deserves a bone or two.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I'm not sure yet what system will work. I would hope the coaches or Lou would have a better idea than me. I think we need to find a way to get some more quality chances. Even if it means many 2-1 nailbiter wins, and less shots on goal.

They had quality chances tonight and screwed them up...every time.
Deboer can be bashed for his personnel choices, but the system is not the issue.

These players are just not good enough to score goals.

Edit: Try to beat Nashville, get a point from the Rangers...and then go through hell kings, pens....california trip

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Kovalchuk is even a bigger MVP of the 11-12 season in my mind seeing how bad this team is at shootouts without him and Parise.

Even Kovy was never any good at the shootout aside from that one fluke season. He probably had more shootout goals that year than he had the rest of his career :laugh:

Mory Schneideur*

So they are playing better. Playoffs are a marathon, not a sprint, so I'm not worried. We will get one of the top 3 spots in the metro, or 2nd-3rd spot more precisely.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
na Pete needs to play Carter and Gionta more than our 2008 first round pick who can actually create chances.

Gionta played the Kessel goal so bad it's not even funny. But yes let's dress him over Josefson.

He overplayed it, but really the goal was as much on Zidlicky for ole'ing him.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I would have gained so much respect for Pete if he just went with something unconventional in the shootout.

Even if it was ****ing Cory out there taking a shot.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Deboer can be bashed for his personnel choices, but the system is not the issue.

These players are just no good enough to score goals.

Pretty much the first part. They set up was there countless times, but the puck was bouncing, or the guy was to far ahead or behind the play by a half step, or they didn't lift the puck. Plenty of times the Leafs played some good D too, or Bernier made a solid save, but we flubbed quite a few solid chances.

Travis sadly flubbed a few really good ones, but everyone did even Jagr.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
So they are playing better. Playoffs are a marathon, not a sprint, so I'm not worried. We will get one of the top 3 spots in the metro, or 2nd-3rd spot more precisely.
They could be buried by the week of Nov 18th

Their schedule is horrific the next 2 weeks.

yehyeh

Devils. Devils? Yeah, Devils.
Dec 17, 2011
NNJ

4/5 of the our top scorers in '12 aren't on our team anymore.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

These players are just no good enough to score goals.

That's why I think we need to find a different means of getting offense, and for ****s sake have a practice dedicated to scoring goals. Or at least hitting the net on a odd man rushes. Dedicate an entire practice to that.

Are our goalies that good in practice?:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad