Player Discussion Torey Krug IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
Hes part of the core like it or not. He continually comes up with huge goals and assists during momentum moments. Ya he's not my favorite passer but he's solid and I love the little guys.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Like others here, I'm very pleased with his play in the playoffs. And he has another year on his current contract (a plus). My worry is what he's going to ask for in the next one. If I was Donnie, I'd start negotiations with him as soon as this season is done. If he wants to much, IMO over 6.5, I try to trade him before the draft for a 1st rounder.

Reactions: Dc422t

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Like others here, I'm very pleased with his play in the playoffs. And he has another year on his current contract (a plus). My worry is what he's going to ask for in the next one. If I was Donnie, I'd start negotiations with him as soon as this season is done. If he wants to much, IMO over 6.5, I try to trade him before the draft for a 1st rounder.
Sometimes I watch him and think ‘don is bang on’ - other times he looks incredible

He does seem to elevate his game when end stakes are bigger - he arrived that way in 2013 playoffs against the Rangers

He sort of like a Defenseman version of Tuukka Rask.

Hopefully both have one more series of excellent play

I’m with you 100% on $6.5 M per say 5 years

Chara I’d think is done after next year

Bergeron gets the C
Krug the A

You have a top 4 until Vaakanainen etc is ready

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Krug- Carlo

Mobile as heck

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Sometimes I watch him and think ‘don is bang on’ - other times he looks incredible

He does seem to elevate his game when end stakes are bigger - he arrived that way in 2013 playoffs against the Rangers

Bergeron gets the C
Krug the A

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Krug- Carlo

Mobile as heck

Not sure if you saw my post in the salary cap thread yesterday. In a nutshell, I like Krug a lot, so my push to trade him is more an exercise for me in thinking like a GM and not a fan than anything else.

My worry is how shallow the forward group might be if they can’t re-sign Johansson and IMO add another solid veteran.

I suggested Krug for Athanasiou, but the specific return isn’t the point.

I think they have a better chance to replace Krug, cheaply from within, than they do of replacing Johansson and upgrading the forwards from within.

I’m much for comfortable with the defense without Krug going forward than I am with the forwards without Johansson and another addition.

Reactions: JOKER 192

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure if you saw my post in the salary cap thread yesterday. In a nutshell, I like Krug a lot, so my push to trade him is more an exercise for me in thinking like a GM and not a fan than anything else.

My worry is how shallow the forward group might be if they can’t re-sign Johansson and IMO add another solid veteran.

I think they have a better chance to replace Krug, cheaply from within, than they do of replacing Johansson and upgrading the forwards from within.

I’m much for comfortable with the defense without Krug going forward than I am with the forwards without Johansson and another addition.
Assuming they win

We celebrate for 72 hours

Start weighing in on next year roster 4 days after final horn - doing what we do best here

Anything can happen when it comes to Krug

However

He plays the new NHL well
He’s a stud on the PP
He’s a leader
He’s pound for pound very tough

He’s loyal to Sweeney signing with Boston after Donny courted him at Michigan State before other teams

If they win Cup with Grzelcyk & Krug in lineup the question is answered- you can win with two 5’9” defenseman

Bruins D is deep next year

RHD
McAvoy
Carlo
Miller
Clifton

LHD
Chara
Krug
Grzelcyk
Moore

Vaakanainen
Zboril
Lauzon

All left shot D who saw time in Boston

They got other kids below them they are high on

They have 8 NHL regulars and multi prospects pushing

That’s atleast 11 right there

Chara probably in last year
Krug & Miller UFA 2020
Expansion draft

Safe bets to be here in 2020-21
McAvoy
Carlo
Clifton
Vaakanainen

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Assuming they win

We celebrate for 72 hours

Start weighing in on next year roster 4 days after final horn - doing what we do best here

Anything can happen when it comes to Krug

However

He plays the new NHL well
He’s a stud on the PP
He’s a leader
He’s pound for pound very tough

He’s loyal to Sweeney signing with Boston after Donny courted him at Michigan State before other teams

If they win Cup with Grzelcyk & Krug in lineup the question is answered- you can win with two 5’9” defenseman

Bruins D is deep next year

RHD
McAvoy
Carlo
Miller
Clifton

LHD
Chara
Krug
Grzelcyk
Moore

Vaakanainen
Zboril
Lauzon

All left shot D who saw time in Boston

They got other kids below them they are high on

They have 8 NHL regulars and multi prospects pushing

That’s atleast 11 right there

Chara probably in last year
Krug & Miller UFA 2020
Expansion draft

Safe bets to be here in 2020-21
McAvoy
Carlo
Clifton
Vaakanainen

I've always felt a good team should always be at least 9 deep at the defense position: 6 regulars + a vet on the pro roster who can spot start, then at least two developing kids in the minors that are talented enough to get a callup when an injury/trade/poor play happens but can be sent down without repercussion when no longer needed.

The numbers even go further than my opinion: We not suited up less than 10 dman in a year in 25 years. Seeing how close the standings are these days, points are important and to be short on quality talent that can play the position is self sabotage.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
He elevates his game to the same degree Ference used to in the playoffs. Of course he’s far better than Ference ever was, but it’s the same “small defenseman taking his game to another level” phenomenon that was present with AF here.

You’ve got to be careful with overpaying for sure. Given how this defense is developing, he very well becomes an extremely valuable trade chip. Regardless, it would be very difficult to see him go.

Reactions: TD Charlie

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
there are players who simply embrace and elevate when all is on the line, Krug, even with some shortcomings, does just that, he rarely let`s the big moments get away from him

Reactions: PlayoffBeard365

BruinsNetwork

there are players who simply embrace and elevate when all is on the line, Krug, even with some shortcomings, does just that, he rarely let`s the big moments get away from him

Think he’s also been pretty good defensively during the playoffs too, actually. He’s definitely been playing more physical and it’s visually clear he’s working really hard in his own end. Love to see it.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Think he’s also been pretty good defensively during the playoffs too, actually. He’s definitely been playing more physical and it’s visually clear he’s working really hard in his own end. Love to see it.

Yeah he'll never be known for his defense but I think hes been better defensively than Karllson. If we get the shot to sign him at 60-70% of what Karlsson gets this summer and get it over with you gotta take it. Keep the term under 5 years and we'll be fine he'll put up plenty of points to justify whatever he comes in at.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
ive argued at least 50 times in the past we should trade krug… and I admit im worried a lot about his age and his future

but today... watching him in these playoffs... I am a bigger fan of keeping him for now than ive ever been. got to admit hes really brought his A game. if I thought he had 3 more years like this in him id be willing to give him a 5 year 7 mill offer. this krug we are watching can play on my team anyday

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

Bergeron gets the C
Krug the A

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Krug- Carlo

Mobile as heck
I agree 100%. Problem Krugs agent knows he can get 8 mil and might get 7 years. The numbers u gave I would extend July 1. The guy who worries me is Kuraly

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
ive argued at least 50 times in the past we should trade krug… and I admit im worried a lot about his age and his future

but today... watching him in these playoffs... I am a bigger fan of keeping him for now than ive ever been. got to admit hes really brought his A game. if I thought he had 3 more years like this in him id be willing to give him a 5 year 7 mill offer. this krug we are watching can play on my team anyday

Good post.

And I like the length.

Reactions: JCRO and DBL84

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree 100%. Problem Krugs agent knows he can get 8 mil and might get 7 years. The numbers u gave I would extend July 1. The guy who worries me is Kuraly

Kuraly is signed for dirt cheap for 2 more seasons.

Krug will have to balance how much he wants to stay in Boston. Yes, he can wait a year, and he might get more money and or more years somewhere else. I am sure Boston will make him a solid offer that works for the team.

Sweeney will be busy getting the RFAs locked up, and then look into people like Krug, Debrusk, maybe Gryz

I know people have concerns at Krug in the 7 mil a year range. I know I have nightmares of the thought of Grix in the 5 million a year range, which is where his next contract will likely be

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Kuraly is signed for dirt cheap for 2 more seasons.

Krug will have to balance how much he wants to stay in Boston. Yes, he can wait a year, and he might get more money and or more years somewhere else. I am sure Boston will make him a solid offer that works for the team.

Sweeney will be busy getting the RFAs locked up, and then look into people like Krug, Debrusk, maybe Gryz

I know people have concerns at Krug in the 7 mil a year range. I know I have nightmares of the thought of Grix in the 5 million a year range, which is where his next contract will likely be
Yes
My bad thought he only had one year left. Wow makes me so happy

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Krug is also helped by the fact that he plays with Carlo and not Kevan Miller. Can't help but think Miller was dragging him down in the postseasons of the past. Krug will command a big pay day though on his next contract. Offensive D-men don't grow on trees. With our depth at D its hard to validate keeping him though. Grezlyk has been so good in these playoffs and Moore is on an affordable contract for a good 2nd pair defenseman. Krug could be used to stockpile the prospect pool and his space could be used to pay for some of McCavoy, Carlo and Debrusk who are all due healthy raises.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Torey was interviewed on ESPN On Ice with Wyshynski and Kaplan podcast posted yesterday. Interview is at the 20:00 min mark.

These guys are so conditioned to deflect any personal praise in favor of the team effort that he wouldn't even take any credit for Peaky Blinders.

Torey talks about:
  • "Jedi Master" Zdeno Chara, and how he knows every single guy's tendencies on the other team
  • Coach Cassidy's acuity for X's & O's
  • Marchy
  • Tuukka

tremha

Mar 9, 2011

I feel the exact way - he is a leader, has embraced the city,...but you have to deal from a position of strength in the salary cap era and the reality is we have got the best value out of Krug to date. His next contract will be bigger and he will be 29. sadly i think you have to trade him IF you can get a proven forward - not for picks or unproven prospects.

Reactions: Estlin and sarge88

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I hear ya on all counts. Think you have to at least see what is out there. Can you net a Lucic type return?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The good news for both Krug and Grizz is that other than Marron St.Louis don't really have bruiser forwards. Their bruisers are all on the D corps but they're not very mobile so won't likely be much of an issue for our D.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Krug is also helped by the fact that he plays with Carlo and not Kevan Miller. Can't help but think Miller was dragging him down in the postseasons of the past. Krug will command a big pay day though on his next contract. Offensive D-men don't grow on trees. With our depth at D its hard to validate keeping him though. Grezlyk has been so good in these playoffs and Moore is on an affordable contract for a good 2nd pair defenseman. Krug could be used to stockpile the prospect pool and his space could be used to pay for some of McCavoy, Carlo and Debrusk who are all due healthy raises.

I like that krugs done this playoffs especially last round but miller brought down krug last year? Krug was on the ice for the most 5v5 goals among all players on the bruins last year and he was on for 3rd most in the entire playoffs among all players in the league in the playoffs last year and only played two rounds.

When Miller was switched off krug and played with gryz last off season they did very well. Yes Carlo is better than miller, much better, but krug just had an awful playoffs defensively last year. That was not millers fault.

Reactions: missingchicklet

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
krug's wife is due in 3 weeks. exciting for his family. ideally that baby will hang out inside long enough.

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad