GDT: torcar

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Don't forget about Altshuller. His ceiling isn't as high but he's a good couple years closer to being in the mix in the NHL and he has some nice upside to him as well.

I witnessed the most amazing save I've ever seen in my life by Altshuller in a playoff game against the Niagara IceDogs a few years ago and I've never forgotten it - Dougie Hamilton unleashed an absolute rocket of a clapper heading for the top right corner - Altshuller was caught moving across the crease so he threw his leg up to the crossbar for a pad save basically upside down in the net!

TSN ran the save for a couple days on Sportscentre afterwards - so rare to see the play the game coming from the OHL on TV.

Anyway, he's a good prospect.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
They just aren't ready yet. Let's just hope selling and/or losing the UFAs doesn't set them back next season

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
They just aren't ready yet. Let's just hope selling and/or losing the UFAs doesn't set them back next season

Yeah, but on the flipside, I feel one of the biggest problems is still depth. With all the success the team has had this year, it's basically with almost every NHL ready prospect/young guy on the squad playing key roles (Pesce, Slavin, Hanifin, PDG, Lindholm, Rask). The team has been lucky enough to avoid major injuries, but when they do, the team doesn't have enough NHL quality guys to fill roles, especially at forward.

Fleury and Aho "may" be ready next year, but may also still be a couple years away. Tolchinsky hasn't shown he's near ready yet. McGinn needs to show some hockey sense before he can be counted on full time.

Trading pending UFAs can definitely hurt in the short term, but if done right, can fill that pipeline. The key, IMO, is not just getting picks back, you need to get picks for sure, but also some NHL ready (or near ready) guys on top of that.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I've never had any serious injuries, but the two worst pains I've ever experienced are dislocating my shoulder (repeatedly) and banging up my tailbone.

I'm not sure which is worse. The shoulder issue has a sharper pain when it first happens, but after a couple of days it feels better. The tailbone just doesn't stop hurting for several days, if not weeks. If it's his tailbone and it put him in as much pain as it looked like, he's not going to feel right for a month.

Last edited:

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
The only positive I took out of that ****show was seeing them show some balls and frustration, which makes me believe they actually care.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Can we set aside the "not caring" myth for a hot second?

This is a team that believes they're in a playoff hunt. Of course they freaking care. C'mon.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Can we set aside the "not caring" myth for a hot second?

This is a team that believes they're in a playoff hunt. Of course they freaking care. C'mon.

I'm not referring to the "myth". I'm referring to the fact it's one of the few times we've actually seen frustration from the team as a whole, and it was nice to see them finally get a little scrappy. With your last line you're implying they shouldn't care when they aren't in a playoff hunt, that's a problem.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
My wife had a bruised tailbone years ago and she was MONTHS getting totally over it.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm not referring to the "myth". I'm referring to the fact it's one of the few times we've actually seen frustration from the team as a whole, and it was nice to see them finally get a little scrappy. With your last line you're implying they shouldn't care when they aren't in a playoff hunt, that's a problem.

We haven't seen frustration from the team because they've been playing great hockey for almost all of 2016. The last two games have been bad. They didn't show frustration in the first game because they won it despite playing poorly. They showed frustration in this game, appropriately, because they played badly and lost as a result.

I'm not at all implying "they shouldn't care when they aren't in the playoff hunt". You are inferring it. And incorrectly. I'm saying it's ludicrous to think that players "don't care" generally, and even more ludicrous when everything is obviously on the line.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
We haven't seen frustration from the team because they've been playing great hockey for almost all of 2016. The last two games have been bad. They didn't show frustration in the first game because they won it despite playing poorly. They showed frustration in this game, appropriately, because they played badly and lost as a result.

I'm not at all implying "they shouldn't care when they aren't in the playoff hunt". You are inferring it. And incorrectly. I'm saying it's ludicrous to think that players "don't care" generally, and even more ludicrous when everything is obviously on the line.

There's a big difference between "caring" and putting in the work. The Canes obviously care. I mean, we care. Lots of people on all sides care. But the guys have to be willing to do the work. For some reason, as a group last night, their minds were willing but their bodies just weren't. They didn't skate. They got pushed around. They played really poorly. But in an 82-game season, and especially during a stretch of very inspired play well above their level, games like this one happen.

Having said all that, it's clear that we're not there yet, nor are we particularly even close. The fire sale needs to be large.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad