Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Wayne Simmonds signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $1.5M, NMC)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Zero chance I see him in Calgary. Flames need a top line scorer, not another bottom line grinder.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Cheap depth if anything. The days of getting a good Wayne Simmonds are over. Would rather the Leafs try and do better, but if it's a million or so, guess it'd be worth the gamble.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
If you can get Simmonds for 1m and play him on the fourth line, he’s fine.
Unfortunately Bergevin doesn’t understand that. He probably thinks Simmonds is still a top-6.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
If you can get Simmonds for 1m and play him on the fourth line, he’s fine.

Problem is that Habs coach, like many other coach, tends to send the vets in certain situation instead of trusting the young ones, it is almost a reflex. I don't mind it if the vet is a Kovalchuk who can still show top 6 level, but signing Simmons would probably mean seing him way to many times at the end of the game when we need a goal.

Reactions: Fenris

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Toronto for under a million just makes too much sense.

If anyone else, be it CGY or Mtl or whomever else, wants to pay him more than a mill, they can have him. And if other teams are offering about the same as TOR, then he'll pick the home team.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Simmonds really doesn’t have much left in the tank.

He’s a great guy, and he’d no doubt be great for any room, but he just doesn’t bring much as a player anymore. I wouldn’t call him a net negative, but there certainly aren’t many positives.

The Marsh King

Feb 7, 2020
I wouldn't mind him in MTL for really cheap. Keep in mind MTL's PP issues. I know he's done, but he's also 11th overall in PPG in the past 5 years. Even if he doesn't bring that production next year, I would understand the signing for the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad