Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Wayne Simmonds signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $1.5M, NMC)

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Toronto for under a million just makes too much sense.

If anyone else, be it CGY or Mtl or whomever else, wants to pay him more than a mill, they can have him. And if other teams are offering about the same as TOR, then he'll pick the home team.

He would be a great pickup to Toronto for $1M or less for a year or 2. He is from the area, so it would make sense to come home.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
1 washed up Simmonds won't do anything to help Toronto's "toughness" issue. We need more.

Disagree.

I think for 1M in a likely shortened season in a specific role would be great for Simmonds and the Leafs, similar to Perry in Dallas.

A big body banger in front of the net on the PP and a guy who can throw the body a bit during 4th line grind shifts 8-10 mins a night is perfect for us.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Unfortunately Bergevin doesn’t understand that. He probably thinks Simmonds is still a top-6.

We already have our 4 top-6 winger so not sure what you are going on about. I'd also argue Lehkonen/Armia/Byron would all be ahead of him in the depth chart.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
No! No! Noooo! Damn it!

Simmonds is the complete opposite of Habs identity which is speed and mobility.

If he does sign it better be 1 year at 900k tops. That way he can be buried if it doesn't work which will most like not.

If Alzner couldn't cut because of his skating and slowness, why in your "right" mind think Simmonds will work?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
All this hype around Simmonds like he's still an NHL player. He can't score anymore so the top-2 lines are out and he's a slow, defensive liability so the bottom-2 lines are out.

Reactions: LeafChief

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad