Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Wayne Simmonds signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $1.5M, NMC)

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

3.9M space left on the cap with Mikheyev and Dermott yet to be signed; unless Leafs move Johnsson/Kerfoot hard to get top 4D-man that is effective

Leafs D (if healthy) is looking like:

Rielly Holl
Muzzin Dermott
Sandin Marincin
Rosen/Liljegren

Forwards:
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Robertson
Engval-Spezza-Simmonds

Gonna have to trade one of Johnsson/Kerfoot
Yep. So?

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I'm willing to make a $1000 PayPal bet with any takers that Simmons plays 65+ games for Toronto, the he gets 25+ points.... For 1.5 million dollars I'll gladly take that along with leadership, grit and a complete team guy / class act. He and Spezza are going to combine for 60+ points, for 2.2 million combined. HUGE overpay though lol... You numptys are priceless.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I'm willing to make a $1000 PayPal bet with any takers that Simmons plays 65+ games for Toronto, the he gets 25+ points.... For 1.5 million dollars I'll gladly take that along with leadership, grit and a complete team guy / class act. He and Spezza are going to combine for 60+ points, for 2.2 million combined. HUGE overpay though lol... You numptys are priceless.
He's had 0 goals in the last 3 playoffs.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Can we bet on whether or not he actually plays well?

Anyone can have a Mitch Marner shot deflect off of them for the 2nd assist on a PP if the TO coaching staff decides to park him there.

He's a tough guy, so I'm sure he will play more than 65 game (if he isn't scratched, which probably won't happen since TO management clearly loves him by giving that NMC).

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
He's had 0 goals in the last 3 playoffs.

Do you want a comprehensive list of the other guys making 1.5 million dollars per less, on rosters across the league, that have also scored zero goals in the last three playoffs? There are many.

It's barely above the league minimum for a 32 year old. Only on HF is that some huge overpay.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Do you want a comprehensive list of the other guys making 1.5 million dollars per less, on rosters across the league, that have also scored zero goals in the last three playoffs? There are many.

It's barely above the league minimum for a 32 year old. Only on HF is that some huge overpay.
I don't say it's an overpayment. It's a roster spot better suited for somebody else, since Simmonds stinks and is done as an productive NHL player. If he proves me wrong I'm wrong.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I don't say it's an overpayment. It's a roster spot better suited for somebody else, since Simmonds stinks and is done as an productive NHL player. If he proves me wrong I'm wrong.

That's fine. People can not like the signing or the player. Nothing wrong with that. But HF dolts (some Leafs fans included) that think everything over league minimum, for just about anyone, is some eggregious overpay, crack me up.

The guy was just making 5.0 million, which he clearly wasn't worth anymore. But at 32 years old, the chances that he was going to suddenly take a rock bottom contract were next to 0% lol.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I see a rejuvenation occurring. Maple Leafs need some grit and that is what this kid brings. Don't see any downside with this signing.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The more I think about it, the more I hate this signing...

You wanna play at home in Toronto? You sign for the league minimum like Spezza did, or you go play somewhere else...

Reactions: CujosMask

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Yeah your wrong ...lol... he brings a needed element regardless

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
I really really like this for Toronto. Simmer brings the Leafs an element they didn't have and for that price? Come on. This could be a real good fit.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Jesus, nah dude, you arent comprehending it. "He should sign a hometown discount" *signs a hometown discount* "no, not like that".

So, I was right... you aren't comprehending it

I never said he should sign a hometown discount...

I said Toronto shouldn't have offered more than the league minimum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad