Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Wayne Simmonds signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $1.5M, NMC)

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
So, I was right... you aren't comprehending it

I never said he should sign a hometown discount...

I said Toronto shouldn't have offered more than the league minimum
Worse case they send him down to the AHL, and recall a player making $700k that you think is more deserving.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Anyone can have a Mitch Marner shot deflect off of them for the 2nd assist on a PP if the TO coaching staff decides to park him there.
That sounds pretty elaborate for a 2nd assist. I'd say his 2nds will be more just simple chips off broken plays.

I'm willing to make a $1000 PayPal bet with any takers that Simmons plays 65+ games for Toronto, the he gets 25+ points.... For 1.5 million dollars I'll gladly take that along with leadership, grit and a complete team guy / class act.
Not sure on 25 but I'd need 6 more beers to wager. I think he should be good for 20+ points, which is excellent at 1.5M, considering everything else he brings to the room. I know his career is winding down but that's a solid signing.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Simmonds really doesn’t have much left in the tank.

He’s a great guy, and he’d no doubt be great for any room, but he just doesn’t bring much as a player anymore. I wouldn’t call him a net negative, but there certainly aren’t many positives.

Dunno what Wayne Simmonds you got but this one is awesome. Fast, physical, and incredible on the powerplay. It's almost like he actually was hurt, took advantage of the Leafs' best in class medical and skills staff, and is a completely different player.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
He'd been bad for too long for it to be an injury. He'd steadily declined for years and years and now he's playing great. Delighted for him as he's a Flyers hero, but i wouldn't expect this to last.

Reactions: shortfuze

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Good for him and good for the Leafs. I'm so glad he is doing well for you guys this year. I always like him.

He's been incredible, I hope he's not seriously injured after taking that puck off the hand because so far he's the biggiest bargain of the off season

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He'd been bad for too long for it to be an injury. He'd steadily declined for years and years and now he's playing great. Delighted for him as he's a Flyers hero, but i wouldn't expect this to last.

Sure looks like it was strictly injury because ne looks great now

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

Lets ignore the puck going into the net for a second, all three of NJD, BUF and PHI fans said he couldn't skate.

Simmonds is flying out there. Like legit fast. It's such a stark contrast to what he was described as.

This happens all the time with guys the Leafs bring in. People said Ennis was done, Leafs brought him in, worked with skills and medical staff, and had a great season. Same with Spezza. Dallas fans adamant he was done. Same with Simmonds, and Thornton didn't look done like SJ fans said either.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Lets ignore the puck going into the net for a second, all three of NJD, BUF and PHI fans said he couldn't skate.

Simmonds is flying out there. Like legit fast. It's such a stark contrast to what he was described as.

This happens all the time with guys the Leafs bring in. People said Ennis was done, Leafs brought him in, worked with skills and medical staff, and had a great season. Same with Spezza. Dallas fans adamant he was done. Same with Simmonds, and Thornton didn't look done like SJ fans said either.
Oh please....this "best in class" medical and skills operation hasn't influenced winning much. All those guys are bottom of the roster fodder that all have serious limitations these days. Can we actually get through a season before you start taking victory laps?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Oh please....this "best in class" medical and skills operation hasn't influenced winning much. All those guys are bottom of the roster fodder that all have serious limitations these days. Can we actually get through a season before you start taking victory laps?

Spezza is the best 4th line center in the league, but sure, bottom of the roster fodder.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Sure looks like it was strictly injury because ne looks great now

He's got 5 points in 12 games with a 25% shooting percentage, let's not get carried away. There's about 400 games worth of evidence that it likely was just common wear and tear.

I truly hope he has recovered because I love the guy but he plays a very physical game and like most players of his ilk at that age really started to tail off between 28-32. If you think he's going to have a long-term resurgance at that age you'll likely be disappointed.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
With that being said, I’m pleasantly surprised.

He’s been great on the forecheck, he’s been contributing physically, he’s been scoring, he’s been great as a net front presence.
He’s literally what we wanted Clifford to be.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don’t expect him to stay there once healthy, but he’s looking pretty solid in the top 6 and on the top PP.

Everybody keeps telling us how bad this guy is but at 1.5 I don’t really see the risk others do.

Nice hit on Hughes and 2-0 in fights so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad