Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Wayne Simmonds signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $1.5M, NMC)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's got 5 points in 12 games with a 25% shooting percentage, let's not get carried away. There's about 400 games worth of evidence that it likely was just common wear and tear.

I truly hope he has recovered because I love the guy but he plays a very physical game and like most players of his ilk at that age really started to tail off between 28-32. If you think he's going to have a long-term resurgance at that age you'll likely be disappointed.

You are a flyer fan right? he was on your team for years, you know it's about more than points with him, he fights, he hits, he blocks shots, he brings everything.

Bringing up points would be valid if it was Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, even Rielly that's what they do.

Simmonds is a different discussion

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
He's been incredible, I hope he's not seriously injured after taking that puck off the hand because so far he's the biggiest bargain of the off season

5 goals and 2 fights in 12 games is pretty good! Love he’s making a comeback.

3 of those 5 goals have come on the power play...

At even strength, he's -4 on the season which is the worst on the team... the next worst is -1

He has 0 assists in 12 games

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
He's been good for the team, anyone saying otherwise is just hating. We wanted him here for size, standing up for team mates and to chip in offensively occasionally which hes done well.

He's -4 but had been in good form lately, we'll see when he comes back in 20 or so games if he continues to play well or play like a pylon.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Simmonds has never been a particularly good even strength player. This is his 13th NHL season, and he’s been a minus player in all but one of those years, despite playing on plenty of good teams and lines. His 5v5 advanced stats have generally been below average - not terrible, but generally that of a mediocre bottom 6 player, even when he played in the top 6. He’s past his prime, and less effective than he used to be, but even prime Simmonds wasn’t great 5v5.

He’s an awkward/slow skater, he’s not very good defensively, not very good on breakouts, and doesn’t really drive possession. However, he’s a great net front presence on the PP, has a good shot and a nose for the net. He also brings lots of toughness and physicality. For 1 year $1.5 mil, I’m cool with the weaker 5v5 play, since he’s a big boon to the PP, and his toughness/physicality is much needed. Before we got Clifford, teams could intimidate us, I really see the value of having a Clifford/Simmonds type on the team.

IMO, we’ll miss his toughness and PP abilities these next ~6 weeks.

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Still a bad player at 5v5. Still getting outshot and racking up minuses.

Once that Shooting percentage levels, it won't be pretty. But I guess 1.5 mil is good for what Simmonds brings on the PP.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

Once that Shooting percentage levels, it won't be pretty. But I guess 1.5 mil is good for what Simmonds brings on the PP.

You do realize he's like the 6th/7th guy we rely on for scoring. Wayne train is there to bang the body and open up space for his linemates. The goals are definitely gravy. It sucks what happened to him but these few games he got with the Nylander/ JT line, he fit in quite perfectly.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
3 of those 5 goals have come on the power play...

At even strength, he's -4 on the season which is the worst on the team... the next worst is -1

He has 0 assists in 12 games

Jesus christ. Typical hfb... guy gets slashed and injured and people see it as the perfect reason to pile on him. Even tho in his last game he had 2 goals and hit the post 2 times before sitting the rest of the game. But yeah take plus minus as a read on his complete impact on the team. Ask the two guys he ko'd what his impact is.

This place never changes sadly.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Guy was playing well for Toronto. Maybe it's a mirage, maybe it isn't. It's not like he's 26 going to get a big contract and suck. Best case he likely gets another 1.5 from Toronto for next year.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Jesus christ. Typical hfb... guy gets slashed and injured and people see it as the perfect reason to pile on him. Even tho in his last game he had 2 goals and hit the post 2 times before sitting the rest of the game. But yeah take plus minus as a read on his complete impact on the team. Ask the two guys he ko'd what his impact is.

This place never changes sadly.

Save the drama for your mama...

I just posted his season stats... I didn't comment whatsoever on his play or impact

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The injury sucks, but I'm thrilled he's gotten off to a good start . Simmer's skating noticeably declined his last season or so with the Flyers, so if his speed is back that's a great sign. I'll always pull for the guy.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I love how plus/minus is such a poor/devalued stat in the HF world...... unless you can use it to speak negatively about a Leaf :popcorn:

Simmonds has been a bright spot this year

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I’m looking forward to a very physical game Wednesday with Habs now . No Simmonds around . I love it

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Don’t disagree, but he’s not just a clear plus on the PP, he also brings much needed toughness/physicality. He’s our weakest 5v5 player, but I still like what he brings for his price tag.

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Why is it sad?

I like Wayne Simmonds a lot (I'm a Flyers fan)...I just know who he is at this stage in his career. The last few years have been baddddddd.
Most people have better things to "man I'm waiting for" than a hockey player becoming less productive over time lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad