Confirmed with Link: [TOR/VGK] TOR acquire David Clarkson & a 2020 4th Round Pick from VGK for Garrett Sparks

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
20-11 is a 0.645 W% while we needed a 0.706 W% to catch Boston. Also he had a 0.912 save % vs 0.934 the year prior so yes 2017-2018 was an outlier season for McElhinney.

Do not get me wrong, Sparks was god awful and it’s definitely a position that could be improved. With that said it is extremely unlikely that any other backup would’ve been the difference. The only arguments that could be made are perhaps Babs plays a different backup more games and Andersen gets a much needed rest for the playoffs.

And even that argument doesn't hold much weight considering Babcock played Andersen even more in 2017-18 when McElhinney was having the best season of his career as our backup.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
No way in hell did they make the right decision. They could have kept 3 goalies we had a ton of cap space and easily could have waived Marincin. Babcock did not want him. The players knew they kept the wrong goalie. We were trying to win not just get to the playofffs. It was assine that we kept an inferior goalie at a time we were trying to win the cup.

Babcock would have used him a lot more down the stretch as he was winning games and Freddy would have been better.
We've already seen what Babcock did with a McElhinney that played really well and kept winning in the backup role. He kept rolling Andersen all the way into the playoffs.

"We're trying to win and not just reach the playoffs" is a very odd argument when discussing backups. He would have had zero impact on our playoffs, as Andersen would have played every minute either way.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
We've already seen what Babcock did with a McElhinney that played really well and kept winning in the backup role. He kept rolling Andersen all the way into the playoffs.

"We're trying to win and not just reach the playoffs" is a very odd argument when discussing backups. He would have had zero impact on our playoffs, as Andersen would have played every minute either way.

thinking the point he was making is giving Andersen more rest and he could be more mentally/physically playoff ready

Reactions: Nithoniniel

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
most 100 point teams have decent backups ... I have a feeling Sparks raised the stress level in that dressing room for the players/coaches because he was not NHL caliber
It's obvious he had a negative affect. It's not often a Team dumps their healthy backup a week before the playoffs start.

Reactions: Eye Test

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
thinking the point he was making is giving Andersen more rest and he could be more mentally/physically playoff ready

That comes down to Babcock though. Neuvirth is someone who has shown he can play ~30 games a season as an above-average backup. There is no excuse for Neuvirth not to play at least 25 next year, unless he is not healthy enough to keep at all.

Babcock is really just out of excuses. Dubas has done his job and given everything he needs. Upgraded the defense and the backup. He should be able to win and protect Andersen.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
most 100 point teams have decent backups ... I have a feeling Sparks raised the stress level in that dressing room for the players/coaches because he was not NHL caliber

Sounds like an excuse that a team with a selfish mentality would make to justify their own shortcomings.

Reactions: The Podium

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

When the Leafs had Mcbackup playing at a .930 sv% level Babcock didnt trust him with even 20 games.

Babcock doesnt like playing his backup goalie more than bare minimum

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
That comes down to Babcock though. Neuvirth is someone who has shown he can play ~30 games a season as an above-average backup. There is no excuse for Neuvirth not to play at least 25 next year, unless he is not healthy enough to keep at all.

Babcock is really just out of excuses. Dubas has done his job and given everything he needs. Upgraded the defense and the backup. He should be able to win and protect Andersen.

You have to remember Babcock gets interviewed almost daily during the season, he may say things out loud that he shouldnt but is the truth ...

Zaitsev, Gardiner, and Hainsey are gone and we have upgraded our D, hows that? we also lost a second line center

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
When the Leafs had Mcbackup playing at a .930 sv% level Babcock didnt trust him with even 20 games.

Babcock doesnt like playing his backup goalie more than bare minimum

Babcock believes playing a goalie 65 regular seasons won't affect playoff performance, he has been coaching for 20 years, I think his opinion is g2g ... I never herd a goalie complain about being played too much and players play 80 ...

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Babcock played Andersen 66 games in 2017-18 when McElhinney went 11-5-1 with a 0.934 save percentage. There's zero evidence that suggests Babcock would have played any other backup more games.
Yes there is a ton of evidence. His own words and the fact that he did not play Anderson a ton down the stretch.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Babcock's fault without a shred of a doubt. Imagine Raptors playing Kawhi Leonard only 25 minutes in a game. Stars and elite players gotta play lots in the playoffs to win.

I luv this narrative.

Do u realize Matthews gave up 3 unanswered 5 on 5 goals in game 7 while playing more than more than any Bruin forward other than Krejci?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I luv this narrative.

Do u realize Matthews gave up 3 unanswered 5 on 5 goals in game 7 while playing more than more than any Bruin forward other than Krejci?
When you are trailing in an elimination game, do you want the most gifted offensive players on the ice as much as possible, or the guys who had not been on the ice for goals against that game? Do you want to push them out there as much as you possibly can, or do you just want to have them out there more than forwards on the other team?

Star players on teams trailing in an elimination game tends to play a ton. Matthews got 18 minutes and change. It's a legitimate gripe.

54thecup

Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
When you are trailing in an elimination game, do you want the most gifted offensive players on the ice as much as possible, or the guys who had not been on the ice for goals against that game? Do you want to push them out there as much as you possibly can, or do you just want to have them out there more than forwards on the other team?

Star players on teams trailing in an elimination game tends to play a ton. Matthews got 18 minutes and change. It's a legitimate gripe.

I agree its a legitimate gripe DURING THE PLAYOFFS and at the end of that critical game despite the performance he had in game 7. I challenge to go find a star center that went -3 in a game 7 and said he played well.

So many have complained about this during the season yet we hail the masterplan behind load management.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Babcock believes playing a goalie 65 regular seasons won't affect playoff performance, he has been coaching for 20 years, I think his opinion is g2g ... I never herd a goalie complain about being played too much and players play 80 ...

Players want to play, that's not a shock. What we are learning in terms of sports related medical science is starting to challenge that idea though - rest is good.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Limiting Matthew's minutes during a meaningless midseason game is fine - but the whole purpose of that is to be able to ride him as much as possible during games that matter - like say a game 7 of a playoff series.

Matthew's is one of the best goal scorers in the league, his icetime this playoffs was probably the most frustrated I've been as a Leafs fan since Carlyle's infamous "I dont know" response when asked what was wrong with the team before he got fired

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

and Shanahan had to answer to tannenbaum
no doubt Shanahan has put his hands in the pie
Shanahan is managing the management

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Players want to play, that's not a shock. What we are learning in terms of sports related medical science is starting to challenge that idea though - rest is good.

I believe Babcock said he used the Leafs Sports Science dept to help him figure if Freddies starts were optimal before the season started 2 years ago...

Now, I'm going in this direction >> Babcock says 18-20 ATOI is optimal for the stars according to the Leafs Sports science dept, you seem to disagree with that in other posts ...

54thecup

Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Limiting Matthew's minutes during a meaningless midseason game is fine - but the whole purpose of that is to be able to ride him as much as possible during games that matter - like say a game 7 of a playoff series.

Matthew's is one of the best goal scorers in the league, his icetime this playoffs was probably the most frustrated I've been as a Leafs fan since Carlyle's infamous "I dont know" response when asked what was wrong with the team before he got fired

Look there 's always alot of blame to go around when 'we' lose.

Looking forward, its critical that we develop a two headed monster up front with an equal scoring threat to Marner JT.
If Willy bounces back and they get the right winger that could be a above average #1 as well.

I think the fact they will have a rover on the ice for most of their ice time will help us drive possession.

I luv our line up so far.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
They could have kept 3 goalies we had a ton of cap space

The Leafs did not have excess cap last season. They had to stay under the cap, including Horton and performance bonuses for marner and Matthews to ensure cap didn't carry into this season. Horton could not go onto LTIR because of this.

Reactions: The Podium

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad