Confirmed with Link: [TOR/VGK] TOR acquire David Clarkson & a 2020 4th Round Pick from VGK for Garrett Sparks

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
When you are trailing in an elimination game, do you want the most gifted offensive players on the ice as much as possible, or the guys who had not been on the ice for goals against that game? Do you want to push them out there as much as you possibly can, or do you just want to have them out there more than forwards on the other team?

Star players on teams trailing in an elimination game tends to play a ton. Matthews got 18 minutes and change. It's a legitimate gripe.

The fact that Mackinnon played more in a game 7 that he missed an entire period with an injury is enough proof that Matthews TOI was mismanaged in game 7

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The Leafs did not have excess cap last season. They had to stay under the cap, including Horton and performance bonuses for marner and Matthews to ensure cap didn't carry into this season. Horton could not go onto LTIR because of this.
We had a ton of cap space at the start of the season and they could have waived Marincin and kept 3 goalies at no extra cap space. We also had the cap space to add players during the season. I know that we need to not bring the Bonuses forward to this year.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The fact that Mackinnon played more in a game 7 that he missed an entire period with an injury is enough proof that Matthews TOI was mismanaged in game 7
While I agree with the sentiment, MacKinnon is a pretty unique case considering colarado are a one line team pretty much.

As long as JT is on the team I dont think we will see Matthews get close to Mack in ice time. That isnt neccesarily a bad thing as it allows the player to be more explosive as they are playing less. The main thing is Matthews + JT lines both need to be used more collectively

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
When you are trailing in an elimination game, do you want the most gifted offensive players on the ice as much as possible, or the guys who had not been on the ice for goals against that game? Do you want to push them out there as much as you possibly can, or do you just want to have them out there more than forwards on the other team?

Star players on teams trailing in an elimination game tends to play a ton. Matthews got 18 minutes and change. It's a legitimate gripe.

At what cost? What if your most gifted offensive players are coming off an season full of injuries and the medical staff advices the coaching staff to not overplay the player? We don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes.. I’m stabbing a guess, but if we know what’s going on behind the scenes, we’d probably be more understanding...

Would you be okay with a Durant type scenario (Extreme example, but point is still valid).

Also, it’s not like Matthews has a solid game...

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
At what cost? What if your most gifted offensive players are coming off an season full of injuries and the medical staff advices the coaching staff to not overplay the player? We don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes.. I’m stabbing a guess, but if we know what’s going on behind the scenes, we’d probably be more understanding...

Would you be okay with a Durant type scenario (Extreme example, but point is still valid).

Also, it’s not like Matthews has a solid game...
Yeah, you're talking hypotheticals based on nothing here. If there were an injury with a high chance of being aggravated with a couple more minutes of ice time, we'd likely have heard something about it. A Durant type scenario isn't possible, as there were no existing injury that had kept him sidelined.

Reactions: kb and IPS

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Yeah, you're talking hypotheticals based on nothing here. If there were an injury with a high chance of being aggravated with a couple more minutes of ice time, we'd likely have heard something about it.

I’m not really talking hypotheticals though. No more than you are, really... we don’t know the physical health of these players, so it’s premature to suggest you know things one way or the other.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Reactions: smitty10

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
We had a ton of cap space at the start of the season and they could have waived Marincin and kept 3 goalies at no extra cap space. We also had the cap space to add players during the season. I know that we need to not bring the Bonuses forward to this year.

Well they knew they needed Nylander signed and they aren’t accruing space in the meantime for him. They knew they couldn’t LTIR Horton. They expected to pay a large sum in bonuses to Matthews and Marner, and they prioritised accruing space to acquire D help at the deadline over improving backup which is the right call.

They did improve the D for both playoffs and this year (Muzzin) and it cost some cap later in the year.

They ended up accumulating very close to the ceiling, so it was good efficiency.

In conclusion, they did not have enough cap to burn on a back up and made the right choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nithoniniel

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka

Dude do u knw how embarassing is to go minus 3 in the most important game of his career so far?

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Garret Sparks reflects on 'emotionally taxing' Maple Leafs exit - Sportsnet.ca

All I’ve wanted is a fair opportunity, come camp, to try and make the team and I think that I’ll get a better opportunity [with the Golden Knights] than I would have in Toronto,” Sparks said. “At the end of the day, that’s what you’re looking for as a player.”
What a weird thing to say... he was gifted the backup job last year and had his competition claimed off waivers.

We acquired more competition this year because he shit the bed by bleeding goals all year.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
What a weird thing to say... he was gifted the backup job last year and had his competition claimed off waivers.

We acquired more competition this year because he **** the bed by bleeding goals all year.

I don’t think he’s saying that he doesn’t think Toronto gave him a chance. Just that he doesn’t think they’ll take another shot on him and that as you said they’ll be bringing in better options.

Reactions: Buds17

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

I actually find the last 5-10 minutes of game 6 more frustrating. Games 6 and 7 were very poorly coached.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Since the LTIR basically means that Clarkson has no real effect on the salary cap, the deal is ultimately just a minor league goalie plus cash, for a fourth round pick.

BFD.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I luv this narrative.

Do u realize Matthews gave up 3 unanswered 5 on 5 goals in game 7 while playing more than more than any Bruin forward other than Krejci?

Are we in the business of blaming Matthews for Freddy's soft ass goals and Gardiner's brainless giveaways?

This has already been broken down many of times... My god. And not only that, but this line of reasoning STILL doesn't justify Matthews' lack of usage in the 3rd period.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Babcock played Andersen 66 games in 2017-18 when McElhinney went 11-5-1 with a 0.934 save percentage. There's zero evidence that suggests Babcock would have played any other backup more games.
It just can't be explained anymore. Babcock's usage of players is completely terrible across the board, the amount of evidence is overwhelming.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It just can't be explained anymore. Babcock's usage of players is completely terrible across the board, the amount of evidence is overwhelming.

the evidence is overwhelming eh? only in your world bud lol

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Thank the good lord in Heaven the Leafs got rid of this hack, was never ever a fan from day one and that take aged well. Guy complains about a lack of opportunity? Buddy we waived the best backup in the league to accommodate your trash ass. The biggest bag of dust we have ever seen in the crease and cost us several games last season yet has the absolute nerve to blame others. Just absolutely pathetic, good on Dubas for admitting he was wrong and sending this sieve packing.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
All they gained, or possibly lost, was the difference between Sparks' cap hit and that of whoever replaces him.

And a fourth round pick.

They also gained the flexibility to start using LTIR today if they need to (which they did need to make other signings official while risking an offer-sheet vulnerability) instead of after Marner signs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad