Rumor: TOR to trade Zaitsev + Brown to OTT for Ceci (three more pieces involved. Zaitsev officially waives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Is Ceci bad because he is bad , or s he bad because he is playong on a garbage team, but can be serviceable 5-6?

With the amount of money Ceci will be making, you want much more than a serviceable 5-6.

For what it's worth, I actually don't mind Ceci and would think he'll be fine playing as a #4, paired on the Muzzin. I just dont like the number he's gonna ask for.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Screw that. I'm fine with Zaitsev staying. I'm definitely not interested in adding a sweetener, let alone Bracco
Imagine not wanting to attach a mediocre prospect to an albatross contract to move it

‘I dont want to give up anyone!’

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I dont understand how any poster can see this as a bad deal if its Zaitsev for Ceci, 1 for 1.

Leafs can walk away from Ceci if they want.

Clear 4.5 in Cap Space and go sign a Dman they like instead.

Yep.

I have a hard time seeing Dubas actually wanting to play him, so looks like a move that can jus clear capspace with minimal cost to the team

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I know I've been speaking more highly of Ceci than I probably should, but this is exactly the type of risk we should be taking right now. Ceci still has upside IMO.

He's young.
He's big.
He's mobile
He can shoot.
He's right handed
He can move the puck decently.

He's got all the tools. The question that remains is if he has the toolbox. A change of scenery could help him discover that toolbox.

I'm not suggesting that there isn't any risk in acquiring a Ceci... but a young, big, mobile RHD is exactly what we need to be adding to our team.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
sens are adding 2nd round pick and jonny tychonik and condon to be bought out. they will save about 6 million in real cash next year

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Imagine not posting this trash on another teams board.

Only thing mediocre is your posting habits.
‘Id rather keep an albatross, five year long contract thats weighing down everything ao I can keep a single prospect whos not even ranked top-3 in our pool’

Thats what I read. I know thats not how most of the fanbase feels though because its outlandish to think Dubas would ever keep Bracco over moving Zaisev lmfao

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
I know I've been speaking more highly of Ceci than I probably should, but this is exactly the type of risk we should be taking right now. Ceci still has upside IMO.

He's young.
He's big.
He's mobile
He can shoot.
He's right handed

He's got all the tools. The question that remains is if he has the toolbox. A change of scenery could help him discover that toolbox.

I'm not suggesting that there isn't any risk in acquiring a Ceci... but a young, big, mobile RHD is exactly what we need to be adding to our team.
Agreed and dumping zaitsev means you absolutely take this chance and don’t blink and eye

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I dont understand how any poster can see this as a bad deal if its Zaitsev for Ceci, 1 for 1.

Leafs can walk away from Ceci if they want.

Clear 4.5 in Cap Space and go sign a Dman they like instead.
Not intending to be snarky, but who? They let Miller slide away in a trade and there's no UFA they should be targeting other than Girardi or a vet of that ilk who shouldn't make more than a mil if Dubas can put a great powerpoint together to convince them to take a low figure.

I'm kinda scared to see Dubas with cap room July 1 - Myers incoming on a 7 yr whopper? Scary how much some team will pay him

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

He's young.
He's big.
He's mobile
He can shoot.
He's right handed

Hes exactly what people wanted, but they don’t realize it yet.

I’m A okay with the trade, all it comes down to is what contract we are giving him.

And again, I have a hunch we are flipping him anyway

Reactions: MyBudJT

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Not intending to be snarky, but who? They let Miller slide away in a trade and there's no UFA they should be targeting other than Girardi or a vet of that ilk who shouldn't make more than a mil if Dubas can put a great powerpoint together to convince them to take a low figure.

I'm kinda scared to see Dubas with cap room July 1 - Myers incoming on a 7 yr whopper? Scary how much some team will pay him

Myers is the farthest thing from a Dubas type player.

People spew random shit to bash him.

Want to know what Dubas did with cap space on July 1st? Signed a guy who scored 47 goals for us

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
LOL WE WOULD BE GIVING AWAY ZAITSEV FOR NOTHING AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER.

Ceci is one of the worst defenseman in the entire NHL. Zaitsev much better, but thats legit free cap space.

Reactions: Menzinger

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
IMG_20190629_184000.jpg

Hahahahahahahahaha. The best part is we can legit either trade Ceci's rights (if a GM is dumb enough to give up an asset) or just let him walk.

This is f***ing fantastic.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Myers is the farthest thing from a Dubas type player.

People spew random **** to bash him.

Want to know what Dubas did with cap space on July 1st? Signed a guy who scored 47 goals for us

Found him under a rock basically.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I don't really understand this.

Seems most people here think Ceci isn't as good as Zaitsev... and will likely make a very similar aav next year.

What exactly is the point of the trade? Is it just because Zaitsev wants out, so they've been strong-armed into this?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So we could walk away from Ceci if the award is more than 4.4? So can you imagine Ceci walks in asking for say 5. Leafs walk in asking to pay Ceci 16 million for a laugh. Arbitration won't award anything less than Ceci's ask. Leafs walk away and have some fun doing it.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The "no list" is something he has to submit. James Mirtle said earlier today he wouldn't block a trade.

Plus, apparently Zaitsev had a good relationship with DJ Smith.

This will happen on July 1.
Thanks for clearing it up.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
IF a deal surrounding Zaitsev and Ceci goes down, I hope that Ceci bets on himself and takes a 2 year contract at a reasonable AAV.

Something like 2x3.5 is something I'd be comfortable with, and if its heavily signing bonus related, then that benefits everybody too.

Could also be a defencman we can expose in the expansion draft that would be next year. (it is next year, right?).

Reactions: KMNRB

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Cody Ceci at even strength among the Sens regular D;

- 3rd in CF%
- 4th in xGF%
- 5th lowest SZR (started in the offensive zone among the least for them)
- He had the 2nd most P1 points, just 3 behind Chabot.

He was also a major PK guy for them. He had a 19.4% xGF% on the PK, which is significantly higher than any of our D

He didn't play the PP for them really (32 minutes all year lmao)

Ceci is very good at gaining zone entry with possession. Has a very good possession zone exit percentage (something we struggle with) and has a solid possession entry allowed per 60

There is some potential good here, depending on the contract.

(FWIW, I think we are flipping Ceci elsewhere. Call it a hunch)

Thanks for clarifying. I read the first 20 posts scratching my head because I had heard only good things about Ceci his whole career then suddenly he’s linked to a Zaitsev trade and people try to force their preconceived ideas that Zaitsev is trash and must return trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad