Rumor: TOR to trade Zaitsev + Brown to OTT for Ceci (three more pieces involved. Zaitsev officially waives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
I think there’s two options here

1. Dubas has talked to Ceci’s camp and are comfortable with their ask on an extension.

2. We are flipping Ceci in another deal, since he’s likely more attractable than Zaitsev is

I’m guessing it’s door#2 they try to flip him if not they let him walk. Watch a lot of Ottawa games live he seems to have no common sense with the puck or in his own zone coverage. Maybe get lucky and get a 2nd or 3rd. I don’t think he’s going to get better after a promising start to his career.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think there’s two options here

1. Dubas has talked to Ceci’s camp and are comfortable with their ask on an extension.

2. We are flipping Ceci in another deal, since he’s likely more attractable than Zaitsev is
That makes sense. The key in such a move is that it removes Zaitsev's contract. Whether they keep Ceci on a deal more sensible for him or try to move him, it works out. They get out of a long term contract and free up some cap space to replace Zaitsev with a more acceptable alternative.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I dont understand how any poster can see this as a bad deal if its Zaitsev for Ceci, 1 for 1.

Leafs can walk away from Ceci if they want.

Clear 4.5 in Cap Space and go sign a Dman they like instead.

This.

I see the Leafs letting Ceci ask for a significant raise and not fighting it in arbitration and then walking away.

Reactions: Kiwi

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
4.5 million dollars off the cap. This isn't a bad trade if it's 1 for 1.

This does make me significantly more angry about the fact that we traded a first round pick just to get rid of one year of Marleau though.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Cody Ceci at even strength among the Sens regular D;

- 3rd in CF%
- 4th in xGF%
- 5th lowest SZR (started in the offensive zone among the least for them)
- He had the 2nd most P1 points, just 3 behind Chabot.

He was also a major PK guy for them. He had a 19.4% xGF% on the PK, which is significantly higher than any of our D

He didn't play the PP for them really (32 minutes all year lmao)

Ceci is very good at gaining zone entry with possession. Has a very good possession zone exit percentage (something we struggle with) and has a solid possession entry allowed per 60

There is some potential good here, depending on the contract.

(FWIW, I think we are flipping Ceci elsewhere. Call it a hunch)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

- 3rd in CF%
- 4th in xGF%

He was also a major PK guy for them. He had a 19.4% xGF% on the PK, which is significantly higher than any of our D

Ceci is very good at gaining zone entry with possession. Has a very good possession zone exit percentage (something we struggle with) and has a solid possession entry allowed per 60

I see it as us walking away from the arbitration award or flip scenario. I don't see us wanting to keep him around. Ceci ended up on the wing at times last year with the Sens.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

- 3rd in CF%
- 4th in xGF%

If we're flipping Ceci, we better be getting two more quality RD. Ceci would be a fine experiment on the 2nd pair IMO.

Rielly-_____
Muzzin-Ceci*
Dermott/Rosen-Girardi*

Reactions: ToneDog

Shak19

Oct 31, 2007
Toronto
This trade would be too good to be true, why would OTT take entire Zaitsev contract without a sweetener? And they give us Ceci which we have option of completely walking away from and gaining 4.5 million in cap space?

Or we are retaining $$$ on Zaitsev?

Reactions: egd27

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is Ceci bad because he is bad , or s he bad because he is playong on a garbage team, but can be serviceable 5-6?

There's some good in his numbers. Being on a horrid team hides it.

He's a very effective penalty killer. He can move the puck out of the zone. He's fairly young. He should come at less money and term. He's right handed.

Again, I still have a hunch he's being flipped, but if he's here next year, I can see him surprising people.

Reactions: Loosie

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Apparently Ottawa is on Zaitsev's no trade list which starts on July 1st. You have to think the return might be greater for the Leafs then if he is traded before then. At the same time, his bonus is paid on July 1st which makes him more appealing to Ottawa. Something has to give.
I could be completely misunderstanding this.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I was planning on getting Tanev back for Zaitsev. Ceci, even at 4-4.5M would be a much better option for us.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If we're flipping Ceci, we better be getting two more quality RD. Ceci would be a fine experiment on the 2nd pair IMO.

Rielly-_____
Muzzin-Ceci*
Dermott/Rosen-Girardi*

I don't know if I want him playing the zone starts Muzzin does.

Call me crazy, but I almost think Ceci is an interesting partner beside Rielly.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Apparently Ottawa is on Zaitsev's no trade list which starts on July 1st. You have to think the return might be greater for the Leafs then if he is traded before then. At the same time, his bonus is paid on July 1st which makes him more appealing to Ottawa. Something has to give.
I could be completely misunderstanding this.

The "no list" is something he has to submit. James Mirtle said earlier today he wouldn't block a trade.

Plus, apparently Zaitsev had a good relationship with DJ Smith.

This will happen on July 1.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This trade would be too good to be true, why would OTT take entire Zaitsev contract without a sweetener? And they give us Ceci which we have option of completely walking away from and gaining 4.5 million in cap space?

Or we are retaining $$$ on Zaitsev?

DJ Smith ??

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Ceci has to be awarded at least $4.4M in arb for the Leafs to be able to walk away.

So the Leafs could just convince the arbitrator that he's worth more. While Ceci tanks his own value to stay under the treshold (since there's no way in hell he's getting anything close to even the QO as a UFA). Kinda like that South Park episode where the baseball teams all tried losing to each other.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Ceci's most recent contract was 4.3 M, so it wouldn't be surprising to see his next deal be one the Leafs could walk away from, should a trade happen. Assuming the intention is to fully receive the cap space from unloading Zaitsev's contract. Have to see who will be on the blueline if neither Zaitsev nor Ceci.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad