LeBrun: TOR STILL! scouting Canes...will it ever end...looking at an RD or Ferland...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
We didn’t miss it. “Starting with” usually means those are the main pieces and something else of lesser value will be added. We don’t want more small pieces.

A top 6 forward isnt a small piece and our 2020 1st isnt, lily is higher ranked then fox and whoever else it was you said. We won a Calder cup with the above mentioned and johnsson is doing well at the NHL level in a top 9 role with a team loaded with star wingers

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah, Leafs got Muzzin without giving up a Nylander, Kapanen or Liljegren. They aren't going to trade one of them for a Pesce. It's over.

It's awesome how you can't see the difference.

Well hate to break it to you....Kapanen’s value is rising by the game.

He was hyped as a 60 point forward here at the early season, how is he hyped now then?

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
From everything I have been reading about the advanced stats regarding Johnsson Vs. Ferland, Johnsson is the better players, is younger and will be cheaper next year.

This has everything to do with grabbing Pesce for our D. I really don’t care how many points Pesce puts up it’s about his defensive acumen which most Canes fans seem to be very high on.

Hopefully we can work something out but not at outrageous prices some are suggesting.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
This is not true. Matthews and Marner would also interest Carolina for sure. Probably even Tavares. But I fully understand, why you didn't mention them.:naughty:

Well I mean I specifically stated that in my post. Every team would want those players but clearly they aren’t available. Especially not for the pieces that Carolina is willing to give up

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
From everything I have been reading about the advanced stats regarding Johnsson Vs. Ferland, Johnsson is the better players, is younger and will be cheaper next year.

This has everything to do with grabbing Pesce for our D. I really don’t care how many points Pesce puts up it’s about his defensive acumen which most Canes fans seem to be very high on.

Hopefully we can work something out but not at outrageous prices some are suggesting.

But isn’t someone who can just be had for any ‘decent’ offer.

1. We don’t want to trade him

2. He’s 24 years old with 3.5 years of solid play under his belt

3. He’s signed to an amazing long term contract

Unless a piece is being offered up for him that we can’t say no to he isn’t available at all.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Pesce is garbage. Dont even know why Hurricanes fans wanna keep shoving him down our throats

K. We won’t mention him in this thread anymore as long legs fans stop drooling over his jock strap ok?

If Toronto is still scouting the Canes, it's most definitely for Ferland.

But it looks like the Canes are gonna make a massive mistake by holding on to him for a run to the 9th seed

There’s 2 weeks until the deadline and the Canes are 1 point out of a playoff spot. Maybe it’s best to wait closer to the 25th to see where things are at before making a hasty decision.

Canes fans a few months ago : ”We want Nylander for Pesce, Kapanen won’t cut it”

Canes fans now: ”Forget Nylander, give us some of that Kappy” hahah

For Faulk? Sure. For Pesce. God no. Hahahahaha. That’s not close in the slightest.

I mean overpayments can happen....(not that Im advocating for it)

You dont think a Brown + Rasanen + Bracco + 2nd + 3rd can be equivalent to a 1st plus prospect?

I mean value wise that’s fine and the Canes would take that for Ferland but if a team offered a better 1 for 1 package we would lean towards that over quantity.

Gladly. Again, stop bringing him up.

Since Pesce is soooo good you guys should keep him, and trade Slavin.

Oh yeah, Pesce gets carried by Slavin. Overrated.

We’ll just keep both. And the second part of the post is just super stupid so we don’t even need to go into it

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
K. We won’t mention him in this thread anymore as long legs fans stop drooling over his jock strap ok?

There’s 2 weeks until the deadline and the Canes are 1 point out of a playoff spot. Maybe it’s best to wait closer to the 25th to see where things are at before making a hasty decision.

For Faulk? Sure. For Pesce. God no. Hahahahaha. That’s not close in the slightest.

I mean value wise that’s fine and the Canes would take that for Ferland but if a team offered a better 1 for 1 package we would lean towards that over quantity.

Gladly. Again, stop bringing him up.

We’ll just keep both. And the second part of the post is just super stupid so we don’t even need to go into it
have I mentioned TVR for Brown yet lol

Reactions: Tryamw

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I thought Carolina needs offense, Johnsson has 27pts in his last 32gp. He is a hell of a lot better than what LA got.

Hamilton was never a target, not once was he ever even rumored to be someone the Leafs were looking at.

It'll be some small trade if anything most likely.

The issue is I could argue Pesce is Carolina’s 4th or 5th best player, and has proven himself over the last few seasons. Johnsson is having a good season on a stacked Toronto team as a rookie. There is no guarantee he comes here and duplicates those numbers playing with the likes of Wallmark, McKegg, McGinn. If Toronto wants a top 4 dman, they have to give up one of their top guys, period.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A top 6 forward isnt a small piece and our 2020 1st isnt, lily is higher ranked then fox and whoever else it was you said. We won a Calder cup with the above mentioned and johnsson is doing well at the NHL level in a top 9 role with a team loaded with star wingers

You continue to miss the point. You said Hamilton and Ferland, "Starting with Johnsson, Lily, and Zaitsev"

If the Canes are moving Pesce or Hamilton, we want a legit top 6 F in return, not a collection of pieces. Johnsson "may" become one some day, but today, he is not. And before you say how great he is playing this year.
1) a few years ago, many Leafs fans made similar comments about Brown when he scored 20 goals.
2) Johnsson is 10th among forwards in TOI so he's not a "top 6 forward"
3) Johnsson has 59 career NHL games.
4) Johnsson is Left Handed and the Canes have Teravainen, Neiderreiter, Svechnikov, Ferland, McGinn, Martinook, (assuming Ferland is moved) all as LH Wingers. It's not the biggest position of need by any means.

I get it because I watch the Leafs a lot as my 2nd team. Johnsson is playing very well this year and looks like he has the potential to be a top 6 forward, but until he is a legit top 6 forward, Canes fans don't want him as the key part of a deal for Hamilton or Pesce. Don't get me wrong, I think he'd help the Canes, just not if the cost is Pesce or Hamilton. Maybe the GM of the Canes sees it differently, but I'll be disappointed if he's the main piece.

Regarding the rest: It doesn't matter where Lily is ranked. He's a prospect and not anywhere near what the Canes need with Slavin, DeHaan, Fleury, Bean, etc.... Zaitsev is a cap dump to the Canes. He detracts significantly from the value of the deal, particularly because the Canes are a budget team.

Your 1st round pick is likely to be end of the 1st round. While that has value, it's again, a magic bean. And which top 6 forward are you referring to above? Are you suggesting adding someone like Kapanen to the deal? If so, then state it rather than be vague.

Like I said, if the Canes move Pesce or Hamilton, I suspect they want a legit top 6 forward in return. Preferably RW or C. Until you clarify what the other pieces are, your deal continues to be a collection of smaller pieces / what-ifs.

Maybe, in the end, the Canes management will accept a package of lesser parts, but I'll be disappointed if they do.

Anyhow, I'm done in this thread. There is no common ground among fans and won't ever be so carry on.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
You guys are nuts. Kadri maybe not Nylander. We wouldn't even trade Nylander for Pieterangelo. We wont be hunting Hamilton after July..you guys will not make the post season and have a surplus of RHD guaranteed a deal done before Feb 25th with the leafs or not one of those 2 D are gone

First of all, having an extra RHD won’t be the reason we miss the playoffs. Secondly, trading Hamilton or Pesce for the likes of Kapanen, Johnsson, or Brown won’t be the reason we make the playoffs.

If/when we move Pesce or Hamilton, our defense will take a substantial hit and we will be worse for it. The only way that type of trade is palatable is if we get a PROVEN top 6 forward (preferably a C) that is young and has term.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Slavin is the reason Pesce is looking amazing playing his offside on an entirely different pairing?

Perhaps I underestimated Slavin.

You might be. As a kid, so like 30 years ago, I read somewhere that "Wayne Gretzky changes the course of games even when he's not on the ice." If Slavin's doing that, we really need to start the conversation about where he is among the all-time defenseman greats. :sarcasm:

Let's as a hypothetical valuation say he's worth somewhere between 1.7-2.0 Auston Matthews. :naughty: That puts Pesce somewhere in the vicinity of 1 Auston Matthews. :naughty::naughty:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I say this in every Leafs-Canes trade thread but it's probably going to be Faulk that goes to the Leafs.
It's not like Faulk will be anyone's first choice for defensemen, but his cost will make him the most attractive add for the Leafs at the deadline.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
I really hope another team trades a top 6 F for Pesce. If he were to come to Toronto for a bigger name he would likely be let down because the expectations would be irrationally high. I genuinely hope you get your guy Carolina! I just hope it doesn't come at the expense of a Leafs player this season.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You might be. As a kid, so like 30 years ago, I read somewhere that "Wayne Gretzky changes the course of games even when he's not on the ice." If Slavin's doing that, we really need to start the conversation about where he is among the all-time defenseman greats. :sarcasm:

Let's as a hypothetical valuation say he's worth somewhere between 1.7-2.0 Auston Matthews. :naughty: That puts Pesce somewhere in the vicinity of 1 Auston Matthews. :naughty::naughty:
I'm just happy that Matthews has transcended being a hockey player and is now a unit of measurement.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Pesce is a young high-end player on a great long-term contract. There's no reason for Carolina to move him if the return doesn't help them long-term in a meaningful way. We got Muzzin because LA is crap this year and his value on the market is higher than the value he might bring next year to a probably retooling team. That doesn't apply here. Canes won't trade Pesce because the trade is decent enough, they'd do a trade if they get a significant piece back that they perceive as better or more valuable to them long-term.

With that said, I think Kapanen could be that piece. He's pacing for about 50 points mostly at even strength if I am not mistaken, which would be high-end top line production. He's solid defensively on the PK, while adding a threat to score. He definitely should be on the PP as well, with his lethal shot, good hands and above average vision, he'd likely add another 10 points from there. A young 60 point all situations player who brings a dynamic element would look like a great fit down the right side for Canes.

And at the same time, Pesce would look like a great fit for Toronto. He makes sense in terms of ability, position, style, and cap value for us.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad