LeBrun: TOR STILL! scouting Canes...will it ever end...looking at an RD or Ferland...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
More stalking of Canes D and/or Ferland:

(And yes, I realize CAR has certainly done their fair share of stalking of TOR as well...)

My guess would be they’re looking hard at Ferland and TVR. Those guys could be had for futures or maybe Connor Brown plus pick(s). I doubt Dubas has the stomach or stones to pay in roster Forwards what CAR would want for Hamilton or Pesce.

And, No, dumping Zaitsev on CAR is not feasible.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
TVR for Brown

I think I’d actually do that one. Each close to the same cap hit, though TVR’s is a bit higher, and both signed for 1 more year.

CAR kinda clears a spot for Fox and gets a right shot F who has scored 20g once for their bottom 6. TOR gets a decent 3rd pair RD who doesn’t look out of place on higher. pairings

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

This needs to be reiterated. Carolina is not wealthy enough to spend $4.5 mil on a 3rd pairing defenseman as the team's young forwards move to their next contracts. In addition, the Canes will attempt to sign Fox and McKeown is getting to waiver age. There may not be a worse fit throughout the league.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This needs to be reiterated. Carolina is not wealthy enough to spend $4.5 mil on a 3rd pairing defenseman as the team's young forwards move to their next contracts. In addition, the Canes will attempt to sign Fox and McKeown is getting to waiver age. There may not be a worse fit throughout the league.
Well that's obvious...the Canes are trying to move a D....they won't take one back.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Well Toronto has cap issues and values puck movers above everything, so it's tough to beat his current team.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Maybe they are just trying to figure out why Carolina is such a good analytics team, but can't finish for research. It's probably one of the biggest questions among "stats-geeks" in hockey right now.

It’s pretty simple.

The quality of their chances is vastly overstated by metrics that don’t take into account things like pre-shot lateral movement, shot angle to goaltender position, etc. that aren’t currently tracked in any fashion.

The inverse of this is true with regards to the quality of the chances they allow and the inverse of both statements is true of the Washington Capitals and the New York Islanders.

They also do just have poor shooters and goaltenders.

Reactions: DaveG

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Maybe they are just trying to figure out why Carolina is such a good analytics team, but can't finish for research. It's probably one of the biggest questions among "stats-geeks" in hockey right now.

Don’t look now, but Carolina is putting A LOT of pucks in the net these days... about 4G/game in 2019 (16 games).

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
More stalking of Canes D and/or Ferland:

(And yes, I realize CAR has certainly done their fair share of stalking of TOR as well...)

My guess would be they’re looking hard at Ferland and TVR. Those guys could be had for futures or maybe Connor Brown plus pick(s). I doubt Dubas has the stomach or stones to pay in roster Forwards what CAR would want for Hamilton or Pesce.

It's got nothing to do with stomach or stones.

Dubas got a better deal on a defenceman elsewhere. that's it.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I still have a weird feeling they are pushing for Kadri.... maybe a 3rd team to take Gardiner ?

Tor
Pesce
Ferland

Car
Kadri
Cond pick (tor)
Prospect and/or Pick (team C)

Team C
Gardiner

Ferland - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Johnsson