Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Konecny is a damn fine middle 6 RW for sure. But if Dermott becomes a middle pairing D - that is a win, considering the Leafs current RW situation.

Konecny would have been a better pick and so would Aho obviously. Konecny would have filled a Darcy Tucker type role which this fan base would love. Dermott is alright. His development hasn’t been spectacular but has good raw tools. Unfortunately doesn’t seem to have played himself into long term plans given the speculation surrounding him post ELC. We shall see.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah Konecny only makes sense in the scenario that we trade down the Marner pick to Columbus with the intention of getting Provorov or Werenski.

Basically either Marner+Dermott+Dzierkals or Werenski+Konecny+ whoever is available at 34/38.

Taking a forward in the 2015 draft or not trading down would have made sense if they didn’t go and trade away their second round picks for Boyle and Plekanec. They were so creative in building more depth but squandered it in 2 very poorly conceived deals. Those middle second rounders would have been equal to whatever trade down bounty they achieved earlier in the rebuild.

Reactions: geo25

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Konecny is a damn fine middle 6 RW for sure. But if Dermott becomes a middle pairing D - that is a win, considering the Leafs current RW situation.

Koencny was about as good as nylander this season. He is much better than a middle 6 RW. Pretty unlikely dermott will ever be as valuable as him. Having him would either have let us traded marner/nylander during their long holdouts or we could have had dealt kap/AJ last offseason for a defensive upgrade when they had higher value.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Konecny is not better then Nylander, as Nylander has been the much better player over their careers. This season it's about equal but overall it's been Nylander.
That's what I said koencny has been about equal to nylander this year. I said we could have dealt marner last year if we had drafted konecny as we would be reliably assured that he would provide 60-70 points at a fraction of the costs. The same applies 2 years ago for when we had the nylander situation. We could have upgraded our defense with a pesce+ or parayako type deal in the summer of 2018 as would would have confidence konecny could have given us 60-70 points in a bigger role at once again a decent amount of cap savings.

Konecny has not had a better career than either our 2 stud RWs. I wouldnt trade nylander straight for konecny. Just saying that konecny is a lot more valuable than dermott/bracco/dzerinkals rn and could have been a piece that would have allowed us to make a major defensive upgrade had we drafted him by trading a surplus of rw strength (marner, nylander and kapanen along with konecny in the case we drafted him)

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
Koencny was about as good as nylander this season. He is much better than a middle 6 RW. Pretty unlikely dermott will ever be as valuable as him. Having him would either have let us traded marner/nylander during their long holdouts or we could have had dealt kap/AJ last offseason for a defensive upgrade when they had higher value.

You would seriously trade Marner? The guy puts up a rookie record for assist as a leaf. Scores 94 points last year at 22. Scores 67 points in 58 games in what most are calling an “off” year lol

Not to mention, the guy had a high ankle sprain. Then leaf fans want to trade him , why? People are still complaining about the rask trade, steen trade etc

curious, who is the defenceman we are getting for marner straight up?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
My guesses are based on two considerations: the season is broken up into two/three sections for the purposes of integrating Lehtonen, and that he's able to transition the way some of those who've analyzed him suggest he might fit because they are correct in their opinions of his skill sets. To the second consideration first: Lehtonen is cautious, intelligent, has some jam, good gap control, decent skating, can avoid the first checker in the Dzone, has a good first pass, doesn't try to do more than he can, positions himself well between the goal and the attacking player, has a good shot on net that get's through...in short a solid player. If these views are correct, he is an improvement on Ron Hainsey, and if paired with Rielly would provide useful skills that compliment Rielly (such as: steady defensively, able to pass to Rielly, able to avoid initial press and move the puck to advancing forwards, a threat from the point). To the first consideration, he will need time to acclimate to the NHL. That he is a mature player should help speed up the process...will it be successful? I hope it is.

Segment 1: 1st 20/30 games

Muzzin Holl (more defensive zone starts)
Rielly Lehtonen (more offensive zone starts)
Sandin Dermott (dependent on game situation leaning towards O zone starts)
Rosen/Liljegren

If things prove successful...

Segment 2: Games 25/50 ish

same pairings with the intent of a more balanced work load re: zones. To determine the strengths and weaknesses of all of our D pairings. I want all our pairings to have gained confidence in their understanding of how they fit with the team and their importance to the team. I don't want one of the pairings to feel as if they are the 'weak' link...they will all be needed come playoffs. This is where fine tuning comes into play. Dermott might flourish and Lehtonen flounder, Liljegren may blossom, injuries of course, and if we see a compressed schedule, I'd be introducing Rosen and Liljegren into selected games to reduce wear and tear. Essentially, establishing the foundation for our push.

Segment 3: the last 30 games.

The strength of this team is in its offensive capabilities. I want to see Rielly on the ice more than any other Dman. Thus...

Rielly Lehtonen (around 23/4 minutes)
Muzz Holl (around 20/21)
Sandin Dermott (15/6)

Realistic? Eh, who knows, I'm sure there are more than a few here who will tell me I'm crazy. I just might be :laugh:

WolfBlitzer

May 6, 2020
That's what I said koencny has been about equal to nylander this year. I said we could have dealt marner last year if we had drafted konecny as we would be reliably assured that he would provide 60-70 points at a fraction of the costs. The same applies 2 years ago for when we had the nylander situation. We could have upgraded our defense with a pesce+ or parayako type deal in the summer of 2018 as would would have confidence konecny could have given us 60-70 points in a bigger role at once again a decent amount of cap savings.

Konecny has not had a better career than either our 2 stud RWs. I wouldnt trade nylander straight for konecny. Just saying that konecny is a lot more valuable than dermott/bracco/dzerinkals rn and could have been a piece that would have allowed us to make a major defensive upgrade had we drafted him by trading a surplus of rw strength (marner, nylander and kapanen along with konecny in the case we drafted him)

You've already decided Dermott isn't good? Give the gy a chance. Geeze.

And no to trading a 22 year-old supersatr winger that can get 100+ points. Notice those players never get moved?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I must have missed the post complaining about the number of pages for the thread. I think I saw the requisite "depth signing" dismissals. And we did get the complaints that somehow Mike Babcock was to blame for the nature of the discussions about the make up of the defense next season.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Lol, thats not right.

If Bracco competed, worked hard and was in shape like Trevor Moore, he would be a Leaf. This is on Bracco, not the Leafs. If he did the above, his skating would be better and not be an issue either.

That's the truth about Bracco. These type of prospects can suddenly "get it" and change their ways but I can't really think of an example of it happening in the first organization. If it's to happen, it happens after a trade or being released.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Via Friedman's 31 thoughts:

18) Boy, were some teams sour at the Maple Leafs landing Finnish defender Mikko Lehtonen. There was a lot of interest. I’d be lying if I said I’ve seen much of him, but his talent is widely respected. Jokerit indicated he had another year left on his contract, so several potential NHL destinations peeled off. Toronto was persistent.
Another team indicated they were told Lehtonen would be let out of his contract if he found a situation he wanted. That fits with a second organization indicating that when Jokerit announced Lehtonen’s release, he already knew where he was going.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He is but thanks for coming out
oh please.

It's razor close if anything. Nylander was the better goal-scorer and Konecny was shooting a very high% for a majority of the year (unsustainable) that was coming down as the year went on. Drawing any absolutes is foolish.

Reactions: stickty111

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs draft Right Wingers Nylander and Marner, both highly touted prospects, and somehow some of you think they should have, or would have picked another RW, that was lesser thought of, and didn't bring anything different than whom they just drafted, all the while being pretty weak in Defensive prospects? Guys, just quit with this revisionist, self-abuse, that neither makes any sense, nor matters anymore.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lol, thats not right.

If Bracco competed, worked hard and was in shape like Trevor Moore, he would be a Leaf. This is on Bracco, not the Leafs. If he did the above, his skating would be better and not be an issue either.
Well, its sort of on the Leafs because it was known at the time of the draft he didn't take conditioning too seriously. So, you drafted him with the hope he'd change. It was a fine gamble where they took him. A similarly small talented American who went to BC post draft is renowned for his lack of conditioning but has had great years (Gaudreau).

WolfBlitzer

May 6, 2020

18) Boy, were some teams sour at the Maple Leafs landing Finnish defender Mikko Lehtonen. There was a lot of interest. I’d be lying if I said I’ve seen much of him, but his talent is widely respected. Jokerit indicated he had another year left on his contract, so several potential NHL destinations peeled off. Toronto was persistent.
Another team indicated they were told Lehtonen would be let out of his contract if he found a situation he wanted. That fits with a second organization indicating that when Jokerit announced Lehtonen’s release, he already knew where he was going.
Too bad. Leafs win.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
plus he's a mere 5'10 175 lbs...not near big enough for the size queens around these parts.
TK has no fears .. same size as Wendy ... I don't think it is a size thing people care about it is a total do what it takes to win style of play ... TK has it ...always has ... but you will all be shocked when Dermy turns out to be a far better pick

Reactions: ACC1224

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
TK has no fears .. same size as Wendy ... I don't think it is a size thing people care about it is a total do what it takes to win style of play ...

people...depends which people. plenty of comments about small and big players around here.

TK has it ...always has ... but you will all be shocked when Dermy turns out to be a far better pick

Far better? he's behind Konecny right now that I can see. It's easier as a forward, granted, but Dermott didn't have a big step forward year this season. Perhaps the silver lining is he'll be easier and cheaper to sign as a result.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Reading about other teams being salty we got Lethonen just made me smile and get a warm fuzzy feeling deep in my soul :laugh: I may be a bad person :sarcasm:

Reactions: stickty111 and kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad