Confirmed with Link: TOR signs F Yegor Korshkov to 2 year ELC

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Kulemin a second rounder went on to the leafs after playing 5 games with the Marlies. He was coming over from the KHL a few years after being drafted.

Sound familiar.

Kulemin was also MVP level dominant and multi- WHC lock on the Russian A squad.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
No one has responded to my question about Korshkov vs Mikheyev (if he ends up here). For those who have seen both, which one seems like the player to have a higher ceiling?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
No one has responded to my question about Korshkov vs Mikheyev (if he ends up here). For those who have seen both, which one seems like the player to have a higher ceiling?
Mikheyev is not really someone you talk about in terms of ceiling. He's a finished product. I see him as someone who can potentially play a depth role right now, unless his transition doesn't work out. Pretty all-round guy, good skater. So I'd say that he's about as good now as I think Korshkov can be.

Where the latter has an edge is that he's got a combination of qualities that might help him carve out a role for himself. Guys like Mikheyev that are pretty all-round like that tend to be great in other leagues, but lacks something that can help them have success at the NHL level. Lindholm was like that, and he became someone who was pretty underwhelming at everything at this level. Korshkov however can find success due to a combination of board work and some skill.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Mikheyev is not really someone you talk about in terms of ceiling. He's a finished product. I see him as someone who can potentially play a depth role right now, unless his transition doesn't work out. Pretty all-round guy, good skater. So I'd say that he's about as good now as I think Korshkov can be.

Where the latter has an edge is that he's got a combination of qualities that might help him carve out a role for himself. Guys like Mikheyev that are pretty all-round like that tend to be great in other leagues, but lacks something that can help them have success at the NHL level. Lindholm was like that, and he became someone who was pretty underwhelming at everything at this level. Korshkov however can find success due to a combination of board work and some skill.
Thanks for your opinion. Much appreciated.:)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It's so hard to get excited about this player.

I am more jaded than ever. Will Korshkov amount to anything? Will Babcock play him? Is Dubas in love with his underlying numbers? Is this another Toronto stick checker? How is this team getting built anyway?

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Really did not like the pick at the time, probably could of gotten him in the third round. Wanted Jordan Kyrou so bad with that second pick. Oh well, lets hope he pans out and proves me wrong.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Oh, oh...sounds like another Connor Brown...Babcock would love that. :sarcasm:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Considering Korshkov was the 2nd round companion pick to the Matthews pick, it never made a ton of sense that Hunter should go so far off the board at 31st, with so many CHL options available that later became bluechippers: Hart, Kyrou, DeBrincat, especially with a late 2nd rounder to do something goofy available to the Leafs later on (Grundstrom pick).

That said, hoping we have a pleasant surprise of a dark horse here. If he's a player, he's arriving at a great time to give us some upside and cap relief, not to mention a big body. Looks a little like Valeri Nichushkin, who himself hasn't really panned out yet.

Reactions: AreBe

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I wonder when they unearth the next Panarin. Leafs were rumored to be in the hunt for him but he picked Chicago. Seems like we've mostly been acquiring low end European free agents who have very limited upside.

Reactions: Keon1963 and AreBe

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Very talented / skilled - let's see if he is going to pen out with the Leafs
Oh no! Oh no! More speed, more skill, more spatial awareness! oh no!

Stupid Dubas! Stupid Analytics! Trying to outscosre, outplaymake, outskate, outskill the rest of the NHL! Stupid Shanaplan! Stupid Age of Reason! Too many high skilled role players who excel and fundamentally sound hockey, and not enough chiefs!

More Europeans! How about Canadian grinders? Do we really want to win the cup this way? Do Leafs fans really want to see the Leafs rolling line after line, constant wave of high octane offence like the old Soviet Red Army teams where any screw up by the other team resulted in a goal? Do we want that? To win in the high skill, fast paced, entertaining, post- concussion syndrome aware NHL? That's not what we here in Leafs Nation on HF Broads know!

Just too much damn talent and skill. Embearsing. See? That's the result of analytics! Always finding yet another high skill player. Always with speed and playmaking ability. Enough! It's as if we are embarrassing other teams because our greater financial might enables us to have the best scouting and the best analytics. So, like, what are the Leafs going to be like? Loads more talent than all other teams? Is that what we want? This acquisition of skill at the expense of other teams really one of our beliefs?

Last edited:

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I wonder when they unearth the next Panarin. Leafs were rumored to be in the hunt for him but he picked Chicago. Seems like we've mostly been acquiring low end European free agents who have very limited upside.

I don't think there has been any other undrafted European free agents that have come even remotely close to Panarin.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Oh no! Oh no! More speed, more skill, more spatial awareness! oh no!

Stupid Dubas! Stupid Analytics! Trying to outscosre, outplaymake, outskate, outskill the rest of the NHL! Stupid Shanaplan! Stupid Age of Reason! Too many high skilled role players who excel and fundamentally sound hockey, and not enough chiefs!

More Europeans! How about Canadian grinders? Do we really want to win the cup this way? Do Leafs fans really want to see the Leafs rolling line after line, constant wave of high octane offence like the old Soviet Red Army teams where any screw up by the other team resulted in a goal? Do we want that? To win in the high skill, fast past, entertaining, post- concussion syndrome aware NHL? That's not what we here in Leafs Nation on HF Broads know!

Just too much damn talent and skill. Embearsing. See? That's the result of analytics! Always finding yet another high skill player. Always with speed and playmaking ability. Enough! It's as if we are embarrassing other teams because our greater financial might enables us to have the best scouting and the best analytics. So, like, what are the Leafs going to be like? Loads more talent than all other teams? Is that what we want? This acquisition of skill at the expense of other teams really one of our beliefs?

When it comes to trying to build a Stanley Cup winner, there's really no room to talk about "skill" vs "grit" as though they were ideologically opposed things, because they are both needed in massive quantities in a collective group and down to the individual player.

You cite the Old Soviet Red Army teams as a blueprint for outskating and outskilling the opposition, but they never won a Stanley Cup as a unit.

However, in a funny funny twist, Red Army legend Igor Larionov was in the initial scrum that sparked off the 1997 brawl between the Colorado Avalanche and Detroit Red Wings, which signaled a shift in power dynamics from one uber skilled 90s juggernaut to the other.

In terms of purely "outskilling" and "outskating" the opposition, I find this to be an unsophisticated concept. I think as a collection of talent, our big guns are as impressive as anyone's, but did you see them skate as hard under duress as Panarin, Atkinson and Duchene against Tampa and Boston? What about the high level of skill exhibited by CBJ's 'non skill' guys like Foligno, Jenner? There's a certain level of execution and performance there that's more than just skill at work here.

The notion that the NHL has turned into a non contact league is just incorrect. That's not how the bulk of the series are being played at all.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
It's interesting to note that his father Alexei had an 18 year pro career as a defenceman and is listed at 6'5" 247 pounds so I don't think it will be hard for young Egor to gain weight.
Lots of fans complaining that Leafs didn't draft Debrincat (drafted 39th by Chicago) or Sam Girard (47th by Nashville) or Carter Hart (48th by Philly) but there were a lot of worse picks than Korshkov in the 2nd round by other teams! Every year, its easy to look in hindsight and second guess.
Listening to Leafs Lunch this morning, Gord Miller stated that many NHL teams have failed with Russians because they do not give them one or more teammates to facilitate the major transition of language, culture, style of play and general awkwardness of living half way around the world! So, I wonder if Timashov speaks Russian? I note that he was born in Kirovograd Ukraine but his earliest hockey stats are in Sweden Dmytro Timashov at eliteprospects.com
Watching the Marlie playoff game tonight, in the first period they showed Korshkov sitting in a private box with Subban and other non-playing Marlies and sitting right beside him is a middle aged man. I suspect/hope he is a Russian speaking coach pointing out details to help Korshkov understand the nuances of the N.A, game.
The Marlies have played Kristians Rubins (born Riga Latvia) for 15 regular season and 1 Playoff game this season but he is currently with the Growlers in ECHL.
Final point: In the 2016 WJC when Korshkov led Silver Medal winning Russia in scoring with 2 goals and 6 assists, he was 6 months older than teammate Ivan Provorov (tied in points with 8 assists) and 9 months older than highly rated Kiril Kaprizov (1 goal and 2 assists). Auston Mathews got 7 goals and 4 assists in the same number of games (7) so Korshkov has excelled in some high level hockey!

Reactions: cookie and AreBe

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Probably a young kid. Clearly hasn't watched enough hockey in his life to be aware of all the great Russian defensemen.

Sergei Zubov
Slava Fetisov
Vladimir Malakhov
Vladimir Konstantinov
Sandis Ozolinsh (Latvia/USSR)
Dmitri Yushkevich
Alexei Zhitnik
Sergei Gonchar
Andrei Markov
Danny Markov
Dmitri Mironov
Slava Voynov
Fedor Tyutin
Oleg Tverdovsky
Darius Kasparaitis
Anton Volchenkov

To the current young studs:

Ivan Provorov
Mikhail Sergachev
Nikita Zadorov
Oh what I wouldn’t give for a Yushkevich right now, or a Markov.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Sergei Zubov says what's up young buck. Many great Russian defensemen. Stay woke.

Markov as well, but they are so rare. Lotta lemons and a few studs.

I would stay away from them other than if they are already proven in the NHL and sign them as a FA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad