Confirmed with Link: TOR signs F Yegor Korshkov to 2 year ELC

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm not talking about NHL upside...Do you know what progression means?

Its "the process of developing or moving gradually towards a more advanced state."

Wow salty.

I literally said "you're not wrong", and then I added to your statement about progression by talking about their upside.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
If he can be a bottom-six guy, with size - great. Not exactly what you want out of a 31st overall selection, but you have to work with what you have.

Reactions: jaric1862

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Is that you Marc Bergevin??
Probably a young kid. Clearly hasn't watched enough hockey in his life to be aware of all the great Russian defensemen.

Sergei Zubov
Slava Fetisov
Vladimir Malakhov
Vladimir Konstantinov
Sandis Ozolinsh (Latvia/USSR)
Dmitri Yushkevich
Alexei Zhitnik
Sergei Gonchar
Andrei Markov
Danny Markov
Dmitri Mironov
Slava Voynov
Fedor Tyutin
Oleg Tverdovsky
Darius Kasparaitis
Anton Volchenkov

To the current young studs:

Ivan Provorov
Mikhail Sergachev
Nikita Zadorov

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
It's not a silly claim. This was a bad pick from day one and it only got worse because of his injury.

One of the reasons why Hunter is no longer with this team.

If he can do what Gauthier did this season, it will be a big success for him. Sadly, he'll be guaranteed a spot because our dumbass coach wants size in the lineup but Bracco won't even get a chance because he's too damn small. Who cares about talent.
Yep, should've taken Brinksy but left him for the f***ing Hawks. Now we have to see him RIP it up with Strome/Kane/Toews. 41 goals past season. 5' 7", 165 pounds. Let's see how Korshkov pans out.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Kulemin a second rounder went on to the leafs after playing 5 games with the Marlies. He was coming over from the KHL a few years after being drafted.

Sound familiar.

Reactions: teddygmr

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If speculating on a prospect who has dropped far back in our consciousnesses is a breaking point, things are going to get really interesting this summer. Marner's (RFA) contract negotiations possibly lasting into October, Kapanen/Johnsson (RFAs), discussions about the defense make up, discussions about whether several players are going to be dealt to create cap space, back up goaltending, which Marlies might make the team in the fall, discussions about size/physicality, expansion draft concerns, possibility of the CBA opt-out, etc.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Probably a young kid. Clearly hasn't watched enough hockey in his life to be aware of all the great Russian defensemen.

Sergei Zubov
Slava Fetisov
Vladimir Malakhov
Vladimir Konstantinov
Sandis Ozolinsh (Latvia/USSR)
Dmitri Yushkevich
Alexei Zhitnik
Sergei Gonchar
Andrei Markov
Danny Markov
Dmitri Mironov
Slava Voynov
Fedor Tyutin
Oleg Tverdovsky
Darius Kasparaitis
Anton Volchenkov

To the current young studs:

Ivan Provorov
Mikhail Sergachev
Nikita Zadorov
OUT OF YOUR 19 GREATS. I CAN ONLY FIND 5 WHO WERE VERY GOOD. AND 2 WHO WERE GREAT (your first 2). MOST WERE OFFENSIVE GUYS WHO SUCKED IN THEIR OWN END.
Z IS BRUTAL IN BOTH ENDS.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Kulemin a second rounder went on to the leafs after playing 5 games with the Marlies. He was coming over from the KHL a few years after being drafted.

Sound familiar.

He had scored 27 and 21 goals in the KHL then 15 goals as an NHL rookie by the same age. Doesn't sound quite as familiar.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
OUT OF YOUR 19 GREATS. I CAN ONLY FIND 5 WHO WERE VERY GOOD. AND 2 WHO WERE GREAT (your first 2). MOST WERE OFFENSIVE GUYS WHO SUCKED IN THEIR OWN END.
Z IS BRUTAL IN BOTH ENDS.
Holy caps lock Batman. First I never quoted you. I don't know why you're replying to me. These are not 19 greats genius. These are Russian defensemen that most were pretty good, some legends, and some greats. This was in response to an uneducated poster who claimed only Russian forwards are good and not defensemen. Don't yell at me. Zaitsev shouldn't even be in this conversation.

Reactions: NCoRe

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015

Sound familiar.
Another Kulemin is all we need. Luckily Korshkov is supposed to be heavy on the boards. We need 5 more of him for the third and fourth lines.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Guy appears to be great in transition, and way better as a passer than shooter. Two things we could really use on the big club :dunno:

*2017-18 stats though.

Reactions: AreBe

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Holy caps lock Batman. First I never quoted you. I don't know why you're replying to me. These are not 19 greats genius. These are Russian defensemen that most were pretty good, some legends, and some greats. This was in response to an uneducated poster who claimed only Russian forwards are good and not defensemen. Don't yell at me. Zaitsev shouldn't even be in this conversation.
Sorry i thought you said these were all great defense. We agree Z is terrible.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
apparently, stats mean everything to you, Hyman should be up for huge raise soon!
Stats don't paint the whole picture, but they do mean a lot. Part of being a forward is producing offensively. The KHL is a tough league to score in, but his numbers are very mediocre. There are many factors to consider including ice-time, his conditioning after being out for so long, etc. so I hope he can come in and be a player for the Leafs right away. However, given the way things look I would assume he'll start next season with the Marlies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Sound familiar.
from what I remember Kulemin was considered to much more of a known quantity coming over, and was playing under a regime that was throwing everything against the wall to try to get the team to the playoffs without much consideration for player development as opposed to this regime that's been pretty outspoken about "overbaking" prospects. I don't think you'll see Korshkov with the Leafs early next year unless he really excels or there's a bunch of injuries

I could see a similar result as an upside for Korshkov though, he seems defensively responsible, has decent vision, defends the puck with his body well, has decent hands, seems to know where his linemates are, etc. I think he'll need to put on a little weight and work on his acceleration, his first few steps look sluggish to me, but another middle 6 winger that does a lot of things well isn't a bad thing to shoot for

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's going to the AHL now on a PTO to help the Marlies on their Calder Cup run.

Like his chances to make the Leafs to start the season. The unknown regarding contracts/cap and Hyman's injury might further add to the possibility. Like the potential add of skilled size in any case.

When was his last game?

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Is Korshkov from the year the Leafs went with the strategy of drafting older players? I was always curious to see how that played out.

I'm always interested in seeing what happens when teams employ different methods. I also read it as Leafs management conceding their core skill players were going to be: Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly (at the time they didn't know what was up with Tavares) and they were going to draft older guys to have attempt to have a pipeline of guys to replace lower end roster players, who may have gone past the team's cap capabilities.

Reactions: AreBe

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Is Korshkov from the year the Leafs went with the strategy of drafting older players? I was always curious to see how that played out.

I'm always interested in seeing what happens when teams employ different methods. I also read it as Leafs management conceding their core skill players were going to be: Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly (at the time they didn't know what was up with Tavares) and they were going to draft older guys to have attempt to have a pipeline of guys to replace lower end roster players, who may have gone past the team's cap capabilities.

Yes, believe so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad