Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension Pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 27, 2005
Obviously not but you can't win with elc/vet minimum wingers and defense like polak. Kadri is most likely bailing too as his contract is up soon. Who is the supporting cast when we can't afford anyone. Like the other guy said, I hope matthews is ready to play with some terrible wingers over his 5 years.

Matthews already spent two years playing with Hyman and it doesn't get any worse than that.

Reactions: Erdinger

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Clearly you have it all figured out :rolleyes:

tumblr_padhekJzoK1vbtfo3o2_500.gif

Reactions: al secord

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
It would be nice if our players realize how lucky they are to get all these signing bonuses up front, plus a good salary at the same time, and maybe give us a god damn break on the next contract.

It's funny, because agents say "well we gave the team a discount already" and they ask for the moon, but it never works the other way, ungrateful athletes.

Funny part is if they were not athletes, they wouldn't have the education to manage a Macdonalds lol

They should be a little more humble

Just like you would take less money to do your job if your employer asked. Right? Because you are so HUMBLE. Please.

joeyjojojrshabadoo

Jan 25, 2009
okay. so what about Chicago?
chicago isn't a no-tax state, and they had very favourable deals.

Seabrook has a cap-hit of $6.875 million for the next 6 years. He's barely an NHL talent at this point.

Toews has a cap-hit of $10.5 million for the next 5 years. He's averaged 55-ish points per season over the past three years. (To be fair, Toews is playing better this year.)

How are these "very favourable" deals? Matthews' deal is the reality of the NHL. You pay, or you trade and perpetually re-build/revel in "potential".

Edit:

Saad has a cap-hit of $6 million for the next 3 years. He had 35 points last season.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Definitely more than I expected and than he has earned thus far relative to his comparables. The term and AAV seem mismatched... 11.6 should have got at least 6 years. On the other hand, I am certain he will earn this money and more over the course of this contract. This deal just shows that the market inefficiency of RFAs isn't what it once was... they aren't overpaid like UFAs, but they aren't incredible bargains like ELCs anymore. I hope Marner goes a little ( or a lot) easier on the Leafs.
Too much but with his injury history, I like the 5 years.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I thought Eichel and McDavids contracts were disgusting when they were signed. Now they don't look so bad.

Maybe 2 years from now Matthews looks decent. Watch Dahlin and Pettersson command $14 mil. :sarcasm:

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
People are also acting here like Matthews didn't leave money on the table. He totally did. Don't forget, contracts in the NHL are guaranteed. What if Matthews has a career ending injury in season 4 of his deal? He loses out on what he could have demanded, which would likely amount to an extra 40 million dollars.

Isn;t that why they have insurance?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
holy ****, it pays to be a US resident. Marner should go buy a house in the US

I think the tax thing gets overplayed Walshy
If you've got a good tax lawyer your going to be alright

Those bugger can find loopholes and obscure laws to save you money in there sleep

Reactions: Walshy7

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Just like you would take less money to do your job if your employer asked. Right? Because you are so HUMBLE. Please.

Maybe not

But if my actions directly led to the layoff of my employees, I would structure my salary to do so.... which I did when I was starting out.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Definitely more than I expected and than he has earned thus far relative to his comparables. The term and AAV seem mismatched... 11.6 should have got at least 6 years. On the other hand, I am certain he will earn this money and more over the course of this contract. This deal just shows that the market inefficiency of RFAs isn't what it once was... they aren't overpaid like UFAs, but they aren't incredible bargains like ELCs anymore. I hope Marner goes a little ( or a lot) easier on the Leafs.

Who do you honestly think are his compatibles ?

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
would have been quite happy with that number for 6 years. 5 is a bit of a bummer, but life goes on. 5 years still a long time and they will likely be the best seasons of his career with a strong likelihood he resigns.

Can't wait to sign Marner so that we can just enjoy this young talented core without all the question marks, media baiting and trolling

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Matthews numbers were slightly better than Eichel’s. So I can get on board with him making 1.4% more of cap percentage at timenof sogning. But that would be under the same 8 YEAR TERM.

If you wanted him for 8 years but accept he should be making a bigger cap hit percentage --- that would mean around 13M+ cap hit over a 8 year term.

The more we can fit now the better we can compete now.

Reactions: Erdinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig