Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension Pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
We have 6 chances to win a CUP with Matthews now. Honestly, Im not thrilled with the overall idea of 5 nor what he was asking for on a longer contract. But 6 chances is a lot when you have a team that is being put together like ours.

I guess the one bonus to this whole thing is that if in 6 chances the Leafs havent come away with at least 2 Cup appearances and 1 successful Cup win, there are other issues at play and it might be time to re-evaluate our talent at that point.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
That is not the problem.

The problem is the leafs just paid Matthews as if he was a UFA and only bought 1 UFA year.

He also had a full NMC in his last year and expires as a UFA so if he has indicated he wont resign, we cant even trade him and he could walk for free.

Why do you automatically assume he will walk for free.

If you look at this deal with nothing but negative views it will obviously look bad.

Leafs just locked up a top 3 - top 5 player in the world for 5 years. At a cap hit that is well under what was speculated.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
but wouldn't you prefer the full size snickers, for the same price as the fun size costs?

I kid I kid

I get that there's a packaging and transport issue, but why is the "extra large" Snickers just two Snickers in one long wrapper instead of one long Snickers bar? Just odd.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Full NMC in last year according to capfriendly. He expires as a UFA so leafs cant even trade him in his final year if he is unwilling to sign.

Imagine Matthews walking to free in 5 years, that is a real possibility now

no its not

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Definitely more than I expected and than he has earned thus far relative to his comparables. The term and AAV seem mismatched... 11.6 should have got at least 6 years. On the other hand, I am certain he will earn this money and more over the course of this contract. This deal just shows that the market inefficiency of RFAs isn't what it once was... they aren't overpaid like UFAs, but they aren't incredible bargains like ELCs anymore. I hope Marner goes a little ( or a lot) easier on the Leafs.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Well, he has 5 years to get to 100+ points and/or 50+ goals and hopefully play a whole 82 game season otherwise I dont see how he'd get a raise on his current deal.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
$7,590,301 in cap space left on the table for next season Source: Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Gardiner, Lindholm, Hainsey UFA's. Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson, Ozhiganov and Sparks RFA.

Why do these posts keep popping up on this forum? You know enough to go to Cap Friendly and get that number yet you don't understand how much space we'll have?

Here it is:
1) Current Cap Space - 7.59
2) Cap Increase - 4.5 (they've predicted 4-5 so I took the middle number)
3) N. Horton IR - 5.3
Total - 17.39

I believe we have bonus payments coming from this year which should reduce that number by around 1.5 so lets say 16 million total. That should be enough to get Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson signed and possible 1 or 2 others depending on the price/term on those 3 contracts. If we need more space, then we trade players like Brown/Zaitzev.

Next year will be our tightest, but subsequent years will get easier with Marleau's 6.96 coming off the year after and the expected yearly cap increases which may be larger going forward given the new CBA, Seattle expansion and gambling revenues. For example, in 2020-2021, we should have 11-12 in in cap space (Marleau and yearly increase) which will easily allow us to sign Muzzin/Dermott and still have money left over.

Remember, we likely have cheap contracts coming up like Lilegren, Sandin, Moore, Bracco over the next 1-3 years if we need to sacrifice anyone who can't fit in. Once the core is signed it will be tough looking at that small cap space number, but it will get progressively easier as the cap ceiling continues to move higher. That said, we'll need that space to sign these guys in 5-6 years as RFA's! :)

Reactions: Lebanese Leaf

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Obviously not but you can't win with elc/vet minimum wingers and defense like polak. Kadri is most likely bailing too as his contract is up soon. Who is the supporting cast when we can't afford anyone. Like the other guy said, I hope matthews is ready to play with some terrible wingers over his 5 years.
Who were his wingers when he scored 40 his rookie year? Rookie nylander and zach Hyman. I'm sure Mathews will still score with elc/vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad