Confirmed with Link: TOR sign G Aaron Dell [1 year, 800K]

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I can't see Dubas doing that but it would be interesting to see what 4 M in cap space can get you right now on the market. That is basically the cap space created if you replace Anderson with Dell. I find it too risky, after years of having inept backup goalies. You would think the Leafs would have learned their lesson.
I don't see it, imo. Dubas seems confident with Fred as the man. Especially after his talk. Campbell and Dell can split the rest of the duties to rest Fred occasionally.

When was the last time Leafs traded away a player who had one year left? Exactly.

They'll ride him out. "Own-Rental".

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
QUESTION: Is this another McElhinney/Pickard scenario where if Campbell and Freddy make the opening roster Dell can be plucked off waivers and we lose our 3rd string goalie?
Yes, but that would be true of pretty much all 3rd string goalies. Most of the time goalies aren't claimed. McBackup and Pickard was unique because I believe two teams happened to have goalies get injured right after we waived them.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Seriously guys when I say I have gotten every single thing I wanted this off season I literally mean every single thing literallyALL of it.

I wanted forward depth, Simmonds and Vesey check.

I wanted defensive depth Brodie and Bogosian check.

I wanted a quality 3rd goalie, I specifically mentioned Aaron Dell, a couple hours later in comes Aaron Dell check

Dubas is FINALLY doing what I have wanted him to do for 2 years he's FINALLY adding quality depth.

So I ask @Merrrlin you still preaching patience? or have you joined the all in crowd? not become of this move but because of this off season as a whole

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I don't see it, imo. Dubas seems confident with Fred as the man. Especially after his talk. Campbell and Dell can split the rest of the duties to rest Fred occasionally.

When was the last time Leafs traded away a player who had one year left? Exactly.

I like to live dangerously.
I would do it, offersheet Cirelli, and trade Kerfoot+Holl for Weegar. :naughty:

Reactions: Thervguy

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

My only wish is that they put Freddy on a short leash in the playoffs. Man I'm sick of his elimination game softies.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
412V0MC32KL.jpg

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Here are his numbers from the past 3 years.

2017-18 San Jose Sharks - NHL ... 29 games .. 2.64 GAA & 0.914 sv%
2018-19 San Jose Sharks - NHL ... 25 games .. 3.17 GAA & 0.886 sv%
2019-20 San Jose Sharks - NHL .. 33 games .. 3.01 GAA & 0.907 sv%

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I guess this tells us what the Leafs' brass thought about Woll's first professional season. This is going to be a good luxury to have.

The Leafs' scouts would have seen him often from the days when he was teammates with Leafs' draft picks Matt Frattin and Andrew MacWilliam at North Dakota.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

If you wanted to offer sheet Cirelli and were going to pay him more than $4.36 million you would have to make a trade to get our third round pick back from LA
Ehf1JcZXsAAfB3G.jpg

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
OS him for how much?

Who is your 3C and PK C if Kerfy is gone?

I want Weegar too, hope it gets done.

Weegar takes 3.5 M or less, so its swap for Kerfoot in salary.
Cirelli could go up to 5.5 M in my scenario. Assuming Soup+Dermott<=3M and Holl is also traded.
I would hope to get Cirellli for 4.5 M (hometown discount), but I think whichever team gets him is going to give him at least 5 M.

I haven't actually thought this through because I don't know what Cirelli would get.
Tampa is going to lose 1 or 2 of their 3 RFA. And it won't be Sergachev

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Tough part will be trying to sneak him through waivers without another team grabbing him like what happened to McBackup a few years back.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Weegar takes 3.5 M or less, so its swap for Kerfoot in salary.
Cirelli could go up to 5.5 M in my scenario. Assuming Soup+Dermott<=3M and Holl is also traded.
I would hope to get Cirellli for 4.5 M (hometown discount), but I think whichever team gets him is going to give him at least 5 M.

I haven't actually thought this through because I don't know what Cirelli would get.
Tampa is going to lose 1 or 2 of their 3 RFA. And it won't be Sergachev
Cirelli and Weegar would he fantastic additions.

Maybe JT should talk to Cirelli. Generals alumni.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

You don't live dangerously in sports you won't win championships.

I think Dubas is going for it, in a prudent, yet aggressive manner.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Seriously guys when I say I have gotten every single thing I wanted this off season I literally mean every single thing literallyALL of it.

I wanted forward depth, Simmonds and Vesey check.

I wanted defensive depth Brodie and Bogosian check.

I wanted a quality 3rd goalie, I specifically mentioned Aaron Dell, a couple hours later in comes Aaron Dell check

Dubas is FINALLY doing what I have wanted him to do for 2 years he's FINALLY adding quality depth.

So I ask @Merrrlin you still preaching patience? or have you joined the all in crowd? not become of this move but because of this off season as a whole

Im still preaching patience. I’ve also gotten what I wanted!

We kept the 1st
We haven’t emptied the farm
We haven’t signed any mega contracts

Were making the small but key improvements to the organization. Great offseason! Would be ecstatic with a Weegar trade to top it off.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
You don't live dangerously in sports you won't win championships.

I think Dubas is going for it, in a prudent, yet aggressive manner.

After the whole Schmidt for a 3rd, I am just watching Tampa. They are in an impossible situation. Their priority should be Sergachev. I can't see them being able to keep Cirelli even at a discount. And Cernak could be gone too.

Look at the Isles, they had to deal Toews and are still not out of the woods. Barzal by himself would eat their entire remaining capspace, and then they still have to sign their best defender.

Its going to get ugly. Dubas really lucked out moving Kapanen so fast.

Reactions: uncleben and BigBlu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad