Confirmed with Link: TOR sign G Aaron Dell [1 year, 800K]

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Somehow Dubas kept all his picks, all his young talent, made the team better, jettisoned a pair of underachieving wingers who were below average defenders, and signed the 2nd best two way RD on the market to a very reasonable and short term contract.

I think he has more moves to make too.

I'm thinking he is looking for a power forward winger that can play C and LW, that can play with Matthews or JT.

The Jumbo joe rumors were in overdrive yesterday in the Toronto media, to the point where some were suggesting a deal was imminent. If you think about it, he is an upgrade over Gauthier and would be a great setup guy on the 2nd unit PP. The guy is still in the same league as Marner when it comes to passing but he is as slow as a house skating up hill.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Dell will have to pass through waivers to go to the Marlies I'm assuming? So we might lose him at the start of the season if another team isn't pleased with their backup.

Reactions: qqaz

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We have about $4.4 mil cap space with Mikheyev and Dermott to sign.

Our current cap space is listed at PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $406,467 [Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps]

With the ability to drop a couple $700k players (Calle Rosen & Travis Boyd) to make room for Dermott and Mikheyev, but not seeing where the $4.4 mil is at present without someone like Kerfoot being sent out.

Reactions: Garthinater

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
This is a correction of a mistake made last season going into the year without a viable 3rd goalie. Remember that wasn't what happened in the year previous, Dubas had what he thought were 4 NHL level goalies (Andersen, McIlhenney, Sparks, Pickard) going into the season. He could possibly lose the player on waivers like McIlhenney and Pickard but that doesn't mean he should try to obtain some depth.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Wouldnt that require changes to the cap as well? I mean not every team can carry 25-26 players without going over the cap....in fact, we might need to carry a 21 roster.

I doubt the league would do that, imagine that Vegas moved out all those players for nothing and the league tells them in february that oh, btw, you can carry more players and go over the cap by 15%.
I don't think they'll expand the cap to carry more players, but they may creates taxi squad type situation if the NHL doesn't run. Otherwise teams won't be able to handle injuries.

I think the danger is more teams abusing the minimum players if that happens because there really isn't a reason to carry any more than 20 roster players of a taxi squad always follows you

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kyle Dubas deserves credit for proactively making a small housekeeping move like this. He said it was important to try and set a tone in the regular season to be higher in the standings as possible and he’s getting goaltending insurance before it becomes a media talking point. Just shows some attention to detail in possibly eliminating a situation where points are lost due to not having a credible NHL goalie in place due to injury. Could be key to surviving and thriving in a shortened NHL season.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
q.svg

With the ability to drop a couple $700k players (Calle Rosen & Travis Boyd) to make room for Dermott and Mikheyev, but not seeing where the $4.4 mil is at present without someone like Kerfoot being sent out.

Yep, drop the AHL tweeners and you will get to 4.4 mil. Leaf just the guys you are sure they have a roster spot.

Reactions: Guy Boucher

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
q.svg

Drop down Sandin and Liljgren too. Between the 4 players dropped down, there is money for Dermott and Mikheyev.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
q.svg

He is talking about going with a 21 man roster and then it is doable. 12 forwards, 7 d and 2 goalies. Drop $3.8M to minors on D with Lily Sandin and Holl. Keep up Rosen. Drop Engval to minors for $1.25M. Total 5M CAP opens up roughly. Then add back 1.25M for Mik for 1 year. Then add back 1.5M for Dermy for 1 year. I think it roughs out to 2.25M left over. That leaves 12 forwards and 6 defense and 2 goalies. Add back Holl after season starts and roughly 0.25M left over by my math. No need to get rid of anyone else. I think they will keep Kerfoot to start season as we are not strong on centres. But if powers that be decide he should play wing then we should trade him. He is a terrible winger as seen last year. He can play centre ok against right teams. But Spezza or Jumbo Joe wrong guys for 3rd line centre - too slow. If we want a bigger stronger centre who can skate I think we are doomed on CAP even if we trade Kerfoot. Those types are not going for less then 3.5M per.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Drop down Sandin and Liljgren too. Between the 4 players dropped down, there is money for Dermott and Mikheyev.

Only if you want to run the bare minimum roster of 12F & 6D and 2G for 20 players with no spares.

If you're are adding Lehtonen and Barabanov both at $925k who are currently not listed on the active roster that uses nearly $2 mil and roster at 22 players with 1 spare F and D after Dermott and Mikheyev signed.

In a Covid world teams are going to have to be carrying extra bodies not less in my opinion.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Only if you want to run the bare minimum roster of 12F & 6D and 2G for 20 players with no spares.

If you're are adding Lehtonen and Barabanov both at $925k who are currently not listed on the active roster that uses nearly $2 mil and roster at 22 players with 1 spare F and D after Dermott and Mikheyev signed.

In a Covid world teams are going to have to be carrying extra bodies not less in my opinion.
At 22+ man roster then we will need to move out Kerfoot or Freddy. But COVID market will not give us fair value for either so best to keep I think and go 21 man roster.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario

They may have to bring up players and send them down, based on home and away schedule.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
"Kyle Dubas continues his destruction and disintegration of a once celebrated franchise and it's credulous fanbase. First, John Tavares. Now, Aaron Dell." - Dave Feschuk

this cant be real ...
its clear that if someone has real issues with this pickup they are a bunch of trolls who will critize any move the leafs make period. They could sign a couple of AHL forwards on 2 way deals and the sky would be falling

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Good thing we have an AHL affiliate in town and a private jet to fly them wherever.

The NHL is also flirting with the idea of a taxisquad roster to have on standby in case the AHL does not play. The Leafs have the resources to keep that taxisquad with the team for practices.

21 man roster is most definitely doable.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
We're in good shape I think when you consider there's going to be a cap exempt taxi squad. There has to be. Loading up on depth could be this season's *market inefficiency*.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We're in good shape I think when you consider there's going to be a cap exempt taxi squad. There has to be. Loading up on depth could be this season's *market inefficiency*.

If there were to be a cap exempt taxi squad then wouldn't you think the NHL would have already told teams this heading into free agency?

Are they simply going to let teams sign players and manage the cap and then spring this surprise on the league?

There would have to be all sorts of planning going into this idea and the NHL and NHLPA would need to be involved as per CBA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad