Confirmed with Link: TOR sign F David Kampf (2 years, 1.5M AAV)

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Habs signed Savard and Mike Hoffman for three years. Now, the Habs look more comparable to the Leafs, possibly deeper. No big splash by the Leafs means they will be fighting with the Habs for the last playoff spot and privilege of an early exit.

I liked Dubas trades and last season he had a once in a lifetime opportunity and did well. The core let him down big time as they have for five post-seasons. I'm not sure how they fill out this lineup.

It's why I've said more than once, this team needs to be as big, strong D so that you can at least hold the fort.

If they aren't trading Reilly or the core, I see few paths forward.

Toronto has two elite centres, we have two wingers more offensively gifted then anyone one the Canadians. There’s room for improvement, but they aren’t deeper.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Gabriel with Simmonds makes sense. Leafs need as many pitbulls and honey badgers as they can find, especially on the cheap. I am just not sure Dubas will find all that he needs, especially when he now needs a 1st line winger.

As long as the league maintains the "playoff rules", it's going to require some bangers and message senders, in one form or another. Not goons, just hard on the puck players and physical "clear the net" D-Men. I think Holl is underrated in this regard. Bogosian was the prototype for a #6.
Definitely sire. You already know everything bout ice hockey so I will not add anything to this post that has the history and knowledge period.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Really don't like this signing. Waste of cap space for a team who needs to be smart with every penny. Would have much rather had Dzingel who still has some offensive upside and came in cheaper than Kampf.

Also liked Brooks in his audition last year. This signing pushes him out once again.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

Anyone that has an epic youtube tribute is worth signing in my books.

Says BELIEVE IN #64 right in the description. That's what I will do.

Man....I didn't know Dubas was so good at making videos...Tribute ones no less...must have done it last night before anyone else "Believed" in Kampf.

Reactions: Havoc

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Habs signed Savard and Mike Hoffman for three years. Now, the Habs look more comparable to the Leafs, possibly deeper. No big splash by the Leafs means they will be fighting with the Habs for the last playoff spot and privilege of an early exit.

I liked Dubas trades and last season he had a once in a lifetime opportunity and did well. The core let him down big time as they have for five post-seasons. I'm not sure how they fill out this lineup.

It's why I've said more than once, this team needs to have a big, strong D so that you can at least hold the fort.

If they aren't trading Reilly or the core, I see few paths forward.
While I agree that they made a bigger splash and think their depth players are better, I don't think they're comparable. They have lost Weber and Danault and will not have Price for a few months. I dont think Savard and Hoffman being added makes them a much better team all of a sudden.

Nylander would be their best producer and hes our 4th best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Its not your fault

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Really don't like this signing. Waste of cap space for a team who needs to be smart with every penny. Would have much rather had Dzingel who still has some offensive upside and came in cheaper than Kampf.

Also liked Brooks in his audition last year. This signing pushes him out once again.
Hate how the roster is set in stone already.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
While I agree that they made a bigger splashed think their depth players are better, I don't think they're comparable. They have lost Weber and Danault and will not have Price for a few months. I dont think Savard and Hoffman being added makes them a much better team all of a sudden.

Nylander would be their best producer and hes our 4th best.
This is right. Hopefully experience fixes this.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
This signing isn’t as bad as everyone is making it out to be. In fact I think it’ll surprise many fans. He’s not the offensive center most people like to see but he brings a good two-way game, he’s pretty big and WAY better in the faceoff circle than Kerfoot or Engvall. Kampf is about 53% in the circle these past two seasons, major upgrade from the previous 3rd line centers we’ve iced.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The signing is fine on paper I can see why it was done

However we seem to overpay everyone.

Like why do we use analytics if we're just going to pay dudes above market value?

Find the value and sign that value to value contracts. Don't take the value and then sign them to a weird market number that you think he's worth because of your analytics.

It's infuriating at this point

It might be that Kampf is a valuable player type and it costs money to get players with attributes other teams are looking for. I would have assumed a guy like Tomas Nosek would have been cheaper but if we get a big center who can play a straight line game and use their size, so be it.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
The guy made 1mil last year, now at 1.5. Not that big of a raise and not a big deal considering how many other players are getting crazy value and term this offseason.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
It might be that Kampf is a valuable player type and it costs money to get players with attributes other teams are looking for. I would have assumed a guy like Tomas Nosek would have been cheaper but if we get a big center who can play a straight line game and use their size, so be it.

He didn't even get qualified by the hawks

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He didn't even get qualified by the hawks

Oh, I'm not saying we got prime Ryan Kesler in David Kampf. But to be fair the Hawks are really remaking their team this offseason and $1.5 million isn't a lot of money outside of the Toronto cap hell bubble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad