Confirmed with Link: TOR sign F David Kampf (2 years, 1.5M AAV)

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Not sure this is for Hyman, Hyman was a winger, Kampf is a Center. I think Dubas is looking for a value deal like Ritchie to replace Hyman.
On the PK Hyman and Marner played together, Spezza would come out for faceoffs sometimes replacing Marner, then run to the bench. If anything Marner might play slightly more because his partner takes faceoffs. I think Marner should PK less, but this move doesn’t address that necessarily. I like the add, but the price is really bad.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
On the PK Hyman and Marner played together, Spezza would come out for faceoffs sometimes replacing Marner, then run to the bench. If anything Marner might play slightly more because his partner takes faceoffs. I think Marner should PK less, but this move doesn’t address that necessarily. I like the add, but the price is really bad.

Dont be so dramatic, the price isnt really bad... We are talking about maybe 250k overpaid.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Ok, I misunderstood your first post. Makes sense, less Spez. I would hope they find a way to get Marner off the PK. If this guy is who I think he will be, I don't mind his price tag. Poor mans Danault?

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Ok, I misunderstood your first post. Makes sense, less Spez. I would hope they find a way to get Marner off the PK. If this guy is who I think he will be I don't mind his price tag. Poor mans Danault?

As of right now, Kampf-Mikheyev and Kerfoot-Engvall should be the primary PK tandems. I would like to see them add another good PKer who wins faceoffs and replace Engvall.

I’d use Marner and Matthews together maybe once per game. In the playoffs, we might need a shorty, so they should have some practice together.

TiMo15

Nov 8, 2008
His defensive stats is not bad with a small smaple size. However, still feeling that why paying him $1.5m AAV especially every dollar count in this cap strapped team.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Yeah, fair. To your point about cost, I'm kind of surprised Bunting came in relatively so much cheaper than Kampf.
Why? One has played over 200 more NHL games. I don't see any hype outside of Leafs fans for Bunting. And to be fair, it started before he signed. His status gained so much momentum over the last week. It's quite bizarre. Hopefully he lives up to it.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Phillip Danault: 28 years old, 5 goals last year, 24 points last year, 5.5M/ for 6 years. A heck of a shutdown C and PK. Easily argued that he played with better players and better goalies.
David Kampf: 26 years old, 1 goal last year, 12 points last year, 1.5M/ over 2 years. A good shutdown C and PK. Easily argued he played with inferior players and worse goalies.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Have a feeling Keefe wants to run a Mikheyev-Kampf-Engvall line to utilise purely defensively, sort of like what he tried to do at the start of last year with Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman that never panned out.

I don't know anything about this player honestly so I'll have to reserve judgement until I watch him play for us, but if those three can be elite defensively it would at least give them a concrete role and compensate for the fact that none of them can score.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Yeah I feel like Kampf might be 3C...Seems like they want Kerf on LW.

Bunting-Kampf-Mikeheyv is probably the shutdown line.

Then might have a scoring 4th line featuring Robertson and Spezza.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Phillip Danault: 28 years old, 5 goals last year, 24 points last year, 5.5M/ for 6 years. A heck of a shutdown C and PK. Easily argued that he played with better players and better goalies.
David Kampf: 26 years old, 1 goal last year, 12 points last year, 1.5M/ over 2 years. A good shutdown C and PK. Easily argued he played with inferior players and worse goalies.

I like this signing. As you pointed out...if he can be a poor mans Danault...then we got a steal. We need this type of player on the team. A well defined guy who will play a specific role. Our problem has been that we keep getting 'Skilled' reclamation projects and try to make them be defensively good or forechecking wonders when they have never shown that to be the case. Just get guys who are a pain to play against and do their job well. Bill Belicheck always says..."Just do your job"

Reactions: The Iceman

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Have a feeling Keefe wants to run a Mikheyev-Kampf-Engvall line to utilise purely defensively, sort of like what he tried to do at the start of last year with Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman that never panned out.

I don't know anything about this player honestly so I'll have to reserve judgement until I watch him play for us, but if those three can be elite defensively it would at least give them a concrete role and compensate for the fact that none of them can score.

If we throw an effective shut down line over the boards it frees up the top 2 lines to get some scoring done. If they are reliable at shutting other lines down we have a very good situation for the first time in forever.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Jani Hakanpaa just signed for Dallas for the same amount and a year extra. Given the choice...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Jani Hakanpaa just signed for Dallas for the same amount and a year extra. Given the choice...
Turned down Toronto for the same money from the reports. I'd also say a C and RD are much different needs for this roster

Reactions: Rob Brown

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Turned down Toronto for the same money from the reports. I'd also say a C and RD are much different needs for this roster

Didn't know that. Guess there wasn't a choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad