Confirmed with Link: TOR sign F David Kampf (2 years, 1.5M AAV)

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Oh, I'm not saying we got prime Ryan Kesler in David Kampf. But to be fair the Hawks are really remaking their team this offseason and $1.5 million isn't a lot of money outside of the Toronto cap hell bubble.

It's an issue for us though. Considering we held out so much over 500k with the oilers. Just giving this dude and Dermott an extra cap hit is pretty frustrating.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah, fair. To your point about cost, I'm kind of surprised Bunting came in relatively so much cheaper than Kampf.
Sounds like Bunting turned down some more dollars, but Kampf has also played ~10x the NHL games Bunting has at this point.

Seems like Kampf is still an NHLer on the low-end while Bunting could be a Joey Crabb or Lonny Bohonos

Reactions: banks

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sounds like Bunting turned down some more dollars, but Kampf has also played ~10x the NHL games Bunting has at this point.

Seems like Kampf is still an NHLer on the low-end while Bunting could be a Joey Crabb or Lonny Bohonos

Yeah that sounds about right. Leafs paid a pretty normal low end salary for a role guy in Kampf and somehow avoided overpaying a guy with marginally interesting upside that was starting to get a little Leaf Nation hype.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
He should be on the defacto 3rd line going by his career usage. The 4th line has pop don't forget. Also Flanking Kampf with some skilled players could boost that line all-round. Hopefully someone steps up or we trade for someone.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
His absurdly high 67%+ defensive zone starts and high end QoC combined with his 47.5% corsi on a poor Hawks team (one of the best CF% on the team) are really good analytics are they not?

31 takeaways to only 8 giveaways may have played a part in that. One of the best ratios in the league.

Have to admit I havnt seen the Hawks much but those numbers sound promising.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Led Hawks forwards in PK time .. Could help fill the void on the PK left by Hyman. Strong on the draw which is good to see.

Wonder how his skating is.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
After reading up on Kampf, I'm ok with this signing. A defensive stalwart with size to play on the fourth line and PK, and has chipped in offensively throughout his career prior to last season.

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A center who can actually win a face-off on the PK would be very nice

Semyonov may help in that regard too. Not sure Semyonov will be one of our top 4 PKers, but he does PK and may be utilized as our 5th PKer and a guy who takes draws before getting off for a winger (like a LH Spezza).

60% on 817 faceoffs in the KHL regular season last year.

59% on 953 faceoffs the year before.

Doesn't put up much in terms of offense but he does play a similar game as Kampf as well.

At the very least we can't say the Leafs do not have options. If Semyonov fails, you have Brooks and Amadio right there to fight for that 4C job (I am assuming we are trading Engvall). I guess Spezza is also an option.

If Bunting sucks, we have Malgin, Robertson, Anderson, Ho-Sang (for now), and Simmonds all waiting in the wings, and we still need to add a few more wingers for the Marlies who will likely be in our top 6/9 and should be more competition.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Semyonov may help in that regard too. Not sure Semyonov will be one of our top 4 PKers, but he does PK and may be utilized as our 5th PKer and a guy who takes draws before getting off for a winger (like a LH Spezza).

60% on 817 faceoffs in the KHL regular season last year.

59% on 953 faceoffs the year before.

Doesn't put up much in terms of offense but he does play a similar game as Kampf as well.

At the very least we can't say the Leafs do not have options. If Semyonov fails, you have Brooks and Amadio right there to fight for that 4C job (I am assuming we are trading Engvall). I guess Spezza is also an option.

If Bunting sucks, we have Malgin, Robertson, Anderson, Ho-Sang (for now), and Simmonds all waiting in the wings, and we still need to add a few more wingers for the Marlies who will likely be in our top 6/9 and should be more competition.
Malgin is only here for his annual North American visit. He’ll be back in Switzerland

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
624EB46A-ACEB-4E6D-9F6C-335FC32506EE.jpeg
after this signing i think they have about $1.6m left
Here’s a 21 man (7 d man) roster with 2.3m in cap space, so depending on if you want to run 21 or 22 you can remove which ever forward you want in the bottom 6 and you have 3m upwards of 4m.
Plenty of room to add a complimentary guy like Nick Ritchie or someone in the trade market.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
A bit rich and Kyle seem to follow each other around.

Only one day ago, it was said he wouldn't be pushed around any longer.
It was also said that he Dubas couldn't afford any free agent. Different people say different things.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It's an issue for us though. Considering we held out so much over 500k with the oilers. Just giving this dude and Dermott an extra cap hit is pretty frustrating.
We didn't hold out anything. Holland didn't step up over 3.2 million in cap over the course the contract.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
View attachment 457558
Here’s a 21 man (7 d man) roster with 2.3m in cap space, so depending on if you want to run 21 or 22 you can remove which ever forward you want in the bottom 6 and you have 3m upwards of 4m.
Plenty of room to add a complimentary guy like Nick Ritchie or someone in the trade market.

Is that a championship contending team or have the standards lowered.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Kerfoot - Kampf - Mikheyev can be a solid shutdown line

Dallas did something similar with their 3rd line of Andrew Cogliano — Jason Dickinson — Blake Comeau on their cup run

Will be sweet to not have to use Tavares in a shutdown role and open him up offensively again.

Reactions: Kurtz and TiMo15

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We finally get a PK center. I cant remember the last time we had a center that was used specifically for PK, he wont score but he will help our PK, which means less PK time for Marner. If he is 4th line that means we probably found a good 3C. He should not be any higher than 4C. Win, win, win.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Kerfoot - Kampf - Mikheyev can be a solid shutdown line

Dallas did something similar with their 3rd line of Andrew Cogliano — Jason Dickinson — Blake Comeau on their cup run

Will be sweet to not have to use Tavares in a shutdown role and open him up offensively again.

if they're keeping kerfoot I'd rather he but up higher in the lineup. That line is creating no offence

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We finally get a PK center. I cant remember the last time we had a center that was used specifically for PK, he wont score but he will help our PK, which means less PK time for Marner. If he is 4th line that means we probably found a good 3C. He should not be any higher than 4C. Win, win, win.

He just replaces Hyman, this won’t effect Marner at all.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Seems a bit high on AAV, but the teams been looking for a defensive centre of his ilk for a while. One who can PK, win draws, and take a shift.
I’m fine with it.
Not many c’s like that in the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad