Confirmed with Link: TOR re-sign D Travis Dermott [1 year, 874K]

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
During Kovalchuk's first 4 years in the league, he was 5th in the league in PP TOI/GP.
During Ovechkin's first 4 years in the league, he was 6th in the league in PP TOI/GP.
During Stamkos' first 4 years in the league, he was 23rd in the league in PP TOI/GP.

During Matthews' first 4 years in the league, he is tied for 115th in PP TOI/GP, despite the fact that he was the best PP player of any of these players.

The league just decided to stop giving us power plays in Nov. of 2018. This team was absolutely destroying the opposition on the PP, getting calls with their speed/skill. It literally felt like the league sat down and said cut down on the PP calls for them. We went from the most drawn penalties to least drawn, almost over night. We were scoring like 2 PP goals a game, something ridiculous like that. And it's not just a numbers thing, you can literally see blatant missed holding/hooking calls every game.

Ifittex il Verita

Sep 11, 2019
The league just decided to stop giving us power plays in Nov. of 2018. This team was absolutely destroying the opposition on the PP, getting calls with their speed/skill. It literally felt like the league sat down and said cut down on the PP calls for them. We went from the most drawn penalties to least drawn, almost over night. We were scoring like 2 PP goals a game, something ridiculous like that. And it's not just a numbers thing, you can literally see blatant missed holding/hooking calls every game.

It was that and it was Babcock being a complete twat intentionally limiting Matthews' PP time. Babcock did a lot of good things here as a coach, managing the PP is on thing he could have did better at.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
for a guy that was literally solid in a #1D role for a decent period of time last year, it's crazy to me that they got him signed for less than $1M

He wasn't good in the playoffs, and I guess this contract is the silver lining

Reactions: SAMCRO44

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I wish the other home town boy Mitchy would have been thinking like that...would have made so much sense. I still think Mitch lost more in endorsements than he scooped up with the contract. I for one would steer clear of any product he is pushing just because of him TBH.

I'd say he's doing just about fine.

From The Score:

According to Forbes, Ovechkin is set to make $5 million in endorsements during the 2019-20 season. That haul leads all NHLers, with Crosby and Connor McDavid a peg below at $4.5 million. Other top earners include Maple Leafs forwards Auston Matthews ($2.3M), Mitch Marner ($2M), and John Tavares ($1.7M). (Though Forbes' numbers are technically unofficial, industry insiders consider them to be fair estimates.)

Reactions: Magic Man

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Admittedly, this is true. I'm happy with the moves made this offseason, on paper, and I'm glad to leave his previous mistakes in the past. It's obvious he's learning as he goes. Just wish we hadn't given the top job to someone who needed a learning curve. That's what Phoenix is for, not the center of the universe.

I don't like the "learning as he goes" narrative
He's what, in his 3rd year here ? Had to sign massive deals and unload bad contracts. He has his core and now he's spending low on 3 and 4th liners and not locking them up for years. Has he made some bad decisions.....hell yes. Are the big 3 over-paid? I 'd say yes - one of them. This is a new era now and people a) want to play here now b) because of the landscape will take less to do so and c) he's always said if they're tough, they have to be able to play.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It's really too bad that Namita is heading the analytics division in Seattle. She knows what she's doing. I have a horrible feeling they're going to take Dermott from us unless we protect him or give up a significant asset. He's going to turn into a top-pairing guy on Seattle and we're gonna be looking longingly like Anaheim is doing to Theodore rn.

If I'm Dubas I think I go:

F - Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares
D - Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie, Dermott
G - Campbell (or do we have to expose him?)

Big Names exposed:
Hyman - UFA (even if he gets picked, hopefully he goes to UFA and we re-sign him)
Andersen - UFA
Kerfoot - This would suck but that's a free 3.5M off our cap
Holl - Same with Kerfoot but it's 2M
Engvall - This would just suck, but it sucks the least

If we walk away from expansion without trading a significant asset and only giving up one of Kerfoot/Holl/Engvall I'd say that's pretty successful.
I thought without a goalie, you could protect 9. Tavares has a nmc so he is already protected without taking a spot.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I feel more like even if the Leafs would ice a Team Canada D (with a team Sweden D as healthy scratches) ... Marincin will still just pop up on a regular basis.

Breaking News: The Leaf defense will be led by Marincin this evening because several players are out with COVID.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
NMC takes a spot.
Option are 7-3-1
Or 4-4-1

It's a long way away and often works itself out through the season. Here's a scenario: Dermott is extended and continues to improve handling the right side in spots during the 2020-21 season so the team protects him as the 4th defender (4-4-1). Holl is still here as a compliance exposure (probably number 1 reason to keep Holl). Kerfoot is exposed as a forward and Hyman remains in UFA status who nudge nudge wink wink signs an extension after the expansion draft (or after he becomes a free agent).

Reactions: 4thline

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
This is obviously a great contract for the Leafs. Good to see Dermott OS good with it.

I feel the vets coming here and taking less are part of a culture shift. It doesn’t matter what our stars are getting, it’s how everyone learns to pull together for the team from here on out.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
while I am hopeful for Lehtonen to be what he is in KHL in NHL...it is unlikely he will start in the top 6. Depending on the seasons schedule (could see a bunch of 3 games in 4 nights) he will get opportunities to stick in top 6 and perhaps move up the lineup.

Realistically the D opening night will be

Rielly/Brodie
Muzzin/Holl
Dermott/Bogosian
Lehtonen

Not a chance! He is playing great right now. He is getting first pair minutes and will be in top game shape at training camp. It be one thing if all things are equal but they won't. Just like Thornton will look better than expected because he will be in-game shape .

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
I would've done Mitchy by 3 years lowest Dubas could get until this kids fills out and matures a bit.. otherwise spot on

Glad we got Derms signed love the kid.

And then Marner would have signed the offer sheet. 3rd season in the NHL and he gets 94 points. Do you think he wasn't going to get paid?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Great signing for the money. From a non Leaf fan it feels like Dubas might be resorting to under the table methods.

nah. i think i mentioned this earlier but this was a smart move for dermott. all players are backloading their 2-3yr contracts right now. if dermott was poised to get, let's say, a $1.4m AAV x 2, he'd want to structure that to be something like Y1: $900k; Y2: $1.9m; to try and dodge the COVID years as much as possible. you'll notice that his expected situation has him making about $900k this year any way.

so all he did was make this year what he would have made any way, signing for the 1 year. by doing that, he gets 1 more year of opportunity to make a case for more money to take him to UFA, as well as gaining arbitration rights on the year he negotiates his contract that takes him to UFA.

So it's great for the Leafs, and is actually the right choice for Dermott as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad